The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 04-01-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Coign
Wanted Driver

April 1, 2008: Being Hunted by Beaver

My link has the full story but summed up, after the beaver failed to flood us out it looks like he tried dropping trees on us.

http://www.vaillife.net/?q=node/144

The Killer

The Flood

The Second Attempt

The Payback

Old 04-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Must be a beaver scorned.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:58 AM   #3
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

I say claim eminent domain, destroy his house, and give beaver to the needy.
spudcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:24 AM   #4
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Awww, but he's soooo cute and looks lonely.

Be nice to him, get him a mate...learn to co-exist.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:28 AM   #5
rupip
Salzburger Nockerl

funny, nice story !!
but when reading the full story, I am just wondering:
digital cameras change people´s photography-habits so wildly that I sometimes wish we´d go back to analog. sooo many pictures
rupip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksNuts View Post
Awww, but he's soooo cute and looks lonely.

Be nice to him, get him a mate...learn to co-exist.
100% agree with the duck. He IS cute and does look lonely. maybe taking frustration at having no mate on the evil mankind who is destroying his home---maybe that's why his mate ran off with an otter; otter had good home with stereo and plasma tv? Poor beav...he needs the lovin'.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:16 AM   #7
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

But what about those needy folks who have no beaver? Aren't they cute too?
spudcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:48 AM   #8
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Don't feel sorry....There's plenty of room up there for those little creatures to live....That little guy happens to be a jerk. I think he looks smug. Because he knows how much forest he has, but wants to come down to the tiny city and chew up a parking lot. (they usually try to stay away from people)

The article also quotes a larger population figure so you are assuming it's a larger place than it is..but year-round population is only about 1500 or some nonsense like that (the last I heard). Off season everyone leaves.

Reminds me of beaver creek's liquor store though...heh.
"Beaver liquors"..tehehee. Sorry, I am so mature...
Old 04-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #9
Coign
Wanted Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Don't feel sorry....There's plenty of room up there for those little creatures to live....That little guy happens to be a jerk. I think he looks smug. Because he knows how much forest he has, but wants to come down to the tiny city and chew up a parking lot. (they usually try to stay away from people)

The article also quotes a larger population figure so you are assuming it's a larger place than it is..but year-round population is only about 1500 or some nonsense like that (the last I heard). Off season everyone leaves.

Reminds me of beaver creek's liquor store though...heh.
"Beaver liquors"..tehehee. Sorry, I am so mature...
I got the population number from the city of Avon's website because I have heard varying amounts of population. According to Avon's website we have 8,500 year round citizens and 2,500 seasonal people.

In addition to that I have heard that anywhere from 5,000 to 10,000 people commute in to work here and I know for a fact that Vail Mountain will regularly get about 20,000 visitors a day (on the weekend) and Beaver Creek about 10,000 visitors a day.

So yeah, we may not have a lot of houses but in the end there are more like 20,000 to 40,000 people between Avon and Vail which are only 2 miles apart so it is tough to tell where one starts and the other begins.

And yes we have a liquor store named Beaver Liquors, but I enjoy our dive shop called Beaver Divers better. (Not much "diving" going on here but they do great business in kayaks and wet suits for white water trips.)

And for my last counter point to the Soooo many pictures comment. I do agree with you to a point. First off I deleted at least half of them before posting them and second, yeah it is a digital camera with a 2 gig card. It is like unlimited ammo cheat for cameras and I find you get the best pictures if you just keep snapping as fast as you can and then sort the wheat from chafe later.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Yea... I don't know I heard the figure from a friend that I visited there that works there year round..He said the place clears out and there's only about 1500 people left each year that keep the place going, and the number sounded astounding then, so yea....dunno.

I have also been there a lot off-season and during season (my parents have a time-share there) and 8,500 year round residents for the entirety of the area sounds right.

But what makes you a resident? A time-share owner? An owner that shows up 2 months out of the year to your gigantic billion dollar house? Or? What are the population laws? Aren't most of the true year round residents renting from one guy, shacking up with about 3 more room-mates to afford a place and work the slopes? How does that living situation stand up to statistics?

Beaver Liquors is funnier still. Sorry.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #11
Coign
Wanted Driver

A resident claims this as their primary home and registers to vote with their Colorado license in this district. If you claim any other county as your place of "voting district" then you are not a primary resident here.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #12
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I think there is a Beaver Liquors in Fort Collins, too...or it might be Beaver Market. Anyway, yeah.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #13
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Is that the place where they play cards in the back room?
Liquor in the front, poker in the rear.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
Coign
Wanted Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coign View Post
And for my last counter point to the Soooo many pictures comment. I do agree with you to a point. First off I deleted at least half of them before posting them and second, yeah it is a digital camera with a 2 gig card. It is like unlimited ammo cheat for cameras and I find you get the best pictures if you just keep snapping as fast as you can and then sort the wheat from chafe later.
I aplogize to anyone with low bandwidth. I actually visited my own page again. The edit I made after posting EVERY picture was not saved. NOW there are only about 1/2 of the pictures that I took on that link.

Sorry about that, there were a lot of repeat pictures and a couple where my captioning did not match up.

Although it is kind of neat to scroll through it quickly and it feels like you are walking around in a really bad framerate CGI movie.

Last edited by Coign; 04-02-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Coign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #15
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I like being hunted by beaver.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animal, beaver