The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-29-2003, 01:09 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Saudi Human Rights

The Saudi Embassy in London, answers questions on human rights, capital punishment, tourism, censorship and other topics that the west has been critical of. They explain why they are the way they are but make no apologies. Whether you agree with them or not, it's always helpful to know where they're coming from and to watch for changes or inconsistency.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 06-29-2003 at 01:12 AM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 01:05 PM   #2
warch
lurkin old school

Sharia Law, phooey. Screw the cultural differences rationale, it aint my western view, its my female view. The patriarchal practice is a crime against humanity. I find it impossible to justify that a woman's life = 50% of a man's. That aint right. That's slavery.

I suggest revolution.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 03:28 PM   #3
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
...[human rights] came, in effect, as a response to the atrocities committed in the West. The West produced Nazism and Marxism and the ensuing deaths of millions and millions of innocent human beings.
I assume that when they refer to "the West," they mean North America. Now, I'm no history major, but I was under the imperssion that Nazism and Marxism originated in Europe. Am I wrong, or does the Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia prefer it's history fictionalized?
Old 06-30-2003, 04:14 PM   #4
warch
lurkin old school

"the West" ususally refers to cultures of Western European origin/influence.

Led by Eleanor Roosevelt, The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was adopted by the UN in 1948 with Saudi Arabia, among the 48 states approving.

from a resource site:

Quote:
Although the Declaration, which comprises a broad range of rights, is not a legally binding document, it has inspired more than 60 human rights instruments which together constitute an international standard of human rights. These instruments include the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, both of which are legally binding treaties. Together with the Universal Declaration, they constitute the International Bill of Rights.

The Declaration recognizes that the "inherent dignity of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world" and is linked to the recognition of fundamental rights towards which every human being aspires, namely the right to life, liberty and security of person; the right to an adequate standard of living; the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution; the right to own property; the right to freedom of opinion and expression; the right to education, freedom of thought, conscience and religion; and the right to freedom from torture and degrading treatment, among others. These are inherent rights to be enjoyed by all human beings of the global village -- men, women and children, as well as by any group of society, disadvantaged or not -- and not "gifts" to be withdrawn, withheld or granted at someone's whim or will.
I guess "the west" tried to learn something after WWII. And the Saudi rationalization league is conveniently denying their own rich legacy of oppression, with its religious police, public decapitations, stoning, and other miscelaneous crimes. Preventative measures all, of course,forced on them because of the coruptive influence of that darned West. Right to education! Freedom of opinion! Freedom of religion! Yikes. Dangerous stuff, and not the Saudi way.

Last edited by warch; 06-30-2003 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:28 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Sharia Law, phooey. Screw the cultural differences rationale, it aint my western view, its my female view. The patriarchal practice is a crime against humanity.
I say matriarchal aren't any better. The key is balance.

Everything was OK until you got the right to vote then...
Sound of Bruce running and hiding.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:47 PM   #6
warch
lurkin old school

I meant specifically the twisted patriarchy of Islamic clerics and governments. Ick.

Justice should not be gender specific. Balance yes, lets all share the governing duties!
Old 06-30-2003, 05:47 PM   #7
bmgb
Master of the Domain

Scary. So Saudi Arabia just has its own "vision" of human rights. It looks like half of what they're trying to defend is capital punishment, which seems to be alive and well here in the US anyway (not to the same extent, I'm sure). Then the other half is their treatment of women, which I can't even begin to comprehend.

When my friend and I planned our trip around the world in 2001, she wanted to go to Saudi Arabia for some reason... I had to tell her we wouldn't be able to leave the airport there without husbands or male relatives. Yeah, we skipped Saudi Arabia.

Another friend of mine (female) has many interesting and scary stories about living in Saudi Arabia circa 1970 (she was with her husband at the time, whose business brought them there)... Maybe I should invite her to tell them.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:59 PM   #8
warch
lurkin old school

It would be interesting to hear from somebody who has traveled there.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:12 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Maybe I should invite her to tell them.
Yes,yes, please do.
Quote:
Then the other half is their treatment of women, which I can't even begin to comprehend.
I think that was the point they were trying to make. Their system is based on religion and tradition and we in the rest of the world can't comprehend it.
I don't approve but I understand.