The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Archives > Juju's Place
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Juju's Place Introspection, Lucidity, and Epiphanies

Old 03-15-2003, 12:43 AM   #1
juju
no one of consequence

03/15/03: Transvaginal Ultrasound

I suppose posting this is sort of lame, as you can never really tell anything from ultrasound pictures. I never really got people's fascination with them. Still, I find myself sucked in, and I just can't help myself. I guess I sort of understand it all, now. It's a highly personal thing. That's why I'm compelled to share it with everyone.

Well, it appears this baby is 5 weeks along, not 11 weeks. That means this thing is about 1/4th of an inch to 1/2 inch long. It might look something like this.

At the doctor's office, I got to watch a strange man fondle my wife's breasts and stick his hand up her hoo-ha. My strongest reaction was not knowing where to look. Eventually I decided on straight down. Then, he pulled out this wand/dildo-looking device with something like a condom draped over it, which he inserted into my wife's vagina in order to get the first picture above. It was really neat, we even saw a hearbeat.

Actually, I found the whole thing rather awkward. I'm not offended or outraged or anything like that. I know he's a doctor and he's pretty much seen it all. I just didn't know what to do with myself or where to look. :) In all, though, I think my wife was more traumatized than me. But she rests assured now in the knowledge that everything's okay.

Last edited by juju; 03-15-2003 at 01:34 AM.
Old 03-15-2003, 12:50 AM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Awww! Look at little Juju Jr.

--or--

Aaaah! It's little Juju Jr.!!! Save yourselves!

Last edited by elSicomoro; 03-15-2003 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:01 AM   #3
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

They didn't do those cool little vestigial tail pics back when I was reproducing. How cool! It is just like a Lennart Nilsson photo.

Congratulations, Juju. If this is your first child, prepare for everything you ever knew to change.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:12 AM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Congratulations! You're the proud poppa of a... a...

A little dark area on a screen.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:31 AM   #5
elSicomoro

"Congratulations! It's a...ba-by!"

--Pat (Julia Sweeney's character on SNL)
Old 03-15-2003, 02:47 AM   #6
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Congratulations! You're the proud poppa of a... a...

A little dark area on a screen.
That's the "amniotic sac". And the cursor is positioned over where we saw the heart beating.

The way the doc operated the machine sort of reminded me of the movie "Blade Runner", where Deckard is using his computer to scan an image for clues, and was telling it what grids to zoom in on or pan across to. Except the doc's computer wasn't voice activated. Still, he had to zoom in like 5 or 6 times before we could really get a good look at it.

The amniotic sac itself was immediately visible at first (which really surprised me. Isn't it supposed to be small?). But he had to zoom in on it a whole bunch of times before we could see the heart flutterings.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:49 AM   #7
juju
no one of consequence

I think that little white thing below the sac is the umbilical cord.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:51 AM   #8
elSicomoro

The only sac around here is you, you nutsac.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:52 AM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Don't listen to ANY of them JuJu ... congratulations! The Ultrasounds will get a lot more interesting in the months to come. :)

Are you going to find out what variety you're getting or are you going to keep it a secret?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
Old 03-15-2003, 05:57 PM   #10
juju
no one of consequence

Not quite sure yet. Kathy has said that she wants it to be a surprise, but I'm fairly sure she'll change her mind. The ultrasounds are too neat not to look at, and I doubt she'll be able to not look once it's in front of her on the screen.

We'll see, though!
Old 03-17-2003, 10:04 AM   #11
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Yep I need to scan in our old ultrasounds.. the paper will be deteriorated in a few more years.

Heh.. when my wife went for her first one, the doctor was having trouble finding it with the "through the belly sensor". (I forget what the issue was.. maybe that the placenta was directly in front? I remember that was definitely the case because she also never felt the baby kicking due to the extra "padding".) So the (female) doctor pulled out the transvaginal probe. As she was doing measurements and making printouts, she said that the pictures were excellent.... you get so much better quality than with through the belly. So, not being as wise and mature as I am now, I piped up, "well why don't you use that as the standard procedure then?" The doctor gave me a moderately dagger-filled look and informed me that women find it uncomfortable. I'm happy to report that I was smart enough to shut up at that point, rather than say what was going through my mind. ("How do you think these pregnant women got that way? Based on my experience, I suspect at least SOME of them derived SOME element of pleasure from the process.") This bit of restraint probably explains why I am here today typing to you, rather than having been bludgeoned to death with a speculum.