The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 10-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #121
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Well, you deal with the lazy univolved parents, I'll belt all the little brats into line. I'm quite happy to make that 'my job'.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:03 PM   #122
rkzenrage

All it does is piss them off and they plot their revenge... I did.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:28 PM   #123
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Just because you did, doesnt mean everyone will.

Mine dont, mine know where the line is now and they try not to cross it.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #124
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

No Ducks, you don't understand. Not only are all children exactly alike, they are in fact all exactly like rkzenrage.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:44 PM   #125
Aliantha

Heaven forbid! lol
Old 10-16-2007, 07:56 PM   #126
rkzenrage

Quote:
Childhood Spanking and Increased Antisocial Behavior

About 90 percent of parents use some form of corporal punishment on toddlers, and about 50 percent continue to use it during the early teen years, despite a growing body of evidence that it does not positively affect a child's behavior and may actually result in increased aggressive or delinquent behaviors. Straus and colleagues examined the relationship between corporal punishment and antisocial behavior in children.

A sample of 807 mothers with children between the ages of six and nine years was drawn from an original cohort of women who were part of the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth-Child Supplement conducted at Ohio State University. The mothers completed an antisocial behavior (ASB) scale that described their child's behavior over the preceding three months. Descriptive items in the ASB scale included the following: "cheats or tells lies," "bullies or is cruel or mean to others," "does not feel sorry after misbehaving," "breaks things deliberately," "is disobedient at school" and "has trouble getting along with teachers." The items were scored as "often true," "sometimes true" and "not true."

Categories ranging from no spanking in the past week to spanking 15 or more times in the past week were used to assess the frequency of spanking. For the purpose of statistical analysis, the numbers were broken into four categories of how many times the child was spanked in one week: zero (451 children), one time (160), two times (114) and three or more times (82). Using the ASB scale, data were collected at baseline and again two years later. The study was controlled for several independent variables, including sex, race, socioeconomic status, cognitive stimulation and parental emotional support.

Spanking was significantly related to the ASB score at baseline and two years later. In the zero-frequency spanking group, the ASB score actually declined four points from baseline. In contrast, the ASB score increased 14 points in the group of children whose mothers reported spanking them three or more times at baseline. The consistent finding was that the more frequent the spanking at the beginning of the study, the greater the ASB scores two years later. The trend toward increased ASB scores was stronger in boys than in girls and also in American children of European descent compared with minority children. The tendency also persisted regardless of the extent to which parents provided cognitive stimulation and emotional support to their children.

The authors conclude that corporal punishment or spanking is a statistically significant predictor of subsequent antisocial behavior, even in children who may be spanked only once a week. They believe their data show a "dose response" to corporal punishment, starting with young children. The more frequently spanking is used, the longer its negative effects last and the greater the likelihood that it will induce behavior problems. They further suggest that reducing or completely eliminating corporal punishment would be beneficial to society, since antisocial behavior is associated with violence and more serious crimes committed by teenagers and adults.

JEFFREY T. KIRCHNER, D.O.

Straus MA, et al. Spanking by parents and subsequent antisocial behavior of children. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 1997;151:761-7.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #127
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
even in children who may be spanked only once a week.
Jesus fuck, "only" once a week? If your 6-9 year old child is committing an offense worthy of serious punishment once a week, I don't care what sort of discipline you are using, it obviously isn't working.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:17 PM   #128
Aliantha

Agreed! (with clod)

Even though I am a proponent for the odd clout, I would have to say it doesn't happen too often around our place. It'd be lucky to be once a year.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:25 PM   #129
monster
I hear them call the tide

So wait a minute, .....in the study RKZ quotes, the parents doing the spanking/non-spanking were also the ones assessing the children's behaviour.......? ...and there was a correlation between the perceived "bad" behaviour and the spanking? Well fuck me, who'da thunk it?

I'm sure the report goes on to prove causality and test for bias in parents perception of behaviour etc......spanking is a predictor of bad behaviour FAIL

and I also agree about those frequencies! They need a category for kids who are being spanked 15 times a week??????
Old 10-16-2007, 08:31 PM   #130
Aliantha

I tell you what. Your arm would be pretty tired if they were all floggings wouldn't it?
Old 10-16-2007, 08:33 PM   #131
rkzenrage

I was thinking the same thing. You would look like the guy from Lady In The Water... and the kid's hip would be displaced.
That is abuse.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:39 PM   #132
Aliantha

I would agree that if you had to hit your kid 15 times a week (or even more) you're doing something wrong and have done so right from the start.

Get some help!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:36 PM   #133
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Even once a week is pretty excessive
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:40 PM   #134
Aliantha

agreed! errr...did you look at the preceeding posts ducks?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:49 PM   #135
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
I tell you what. Your arm would be pretty tired if they were all floggings wouldn't it?
Yeah, damnit -you'd have to use your other arm to spank them for making the first one hurt....