The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #121
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Yeah, I had a friend trade in a year old Ford pickup because squirrels did $2,000 damage to the wiring harness. That didn't happen on 1975 pickups.
That's because back then, the squirrels had more respect. They didn't wear their pants around their knees, weren't attached to their phones and kept off your lawn....
Old 06-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #122
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A woman that reminded me of Cloud was parked next to me when I came out of the market... she was driving a metallic green Kia Soul. She asked me what make my truck is, and even wrote it down on her grocery list.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #123
Cloud

mo' POWER, baby!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:15 AM   #124
Cloud

What's the deal with the "remote start"? I see a few vehicles I'm interested in seem to come with that as standard equipment.

I don't want it! What if it "remote starts" itself right off the lot (I have heard of this happening). I don't trust this. We don't have severe weather here where I could see it being an advantage. Can I get it removed?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #125
monster
I hear them call the tide

you can check for a car bomb from a safe distance.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #126
Cloud

there is that
Old 06-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #127
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
What's the deal with the "remote start"? I see a few vehicles I'm interested in seem to come with that as standard equipment.

I don't want it! What if it "remote starts" itself right off the lot (I have heard of this happening). I don't trust this. We don't have severe weather here where I could see it being an advantage. Can I get it removed?
That's just silly... I had it on my last Jeep and loved it. Bad weather, cold mornings, groceries in the car on a hot day (turns off after 10 minutes or so if you don't put the key in).
It's the after-market ones that can get wonky, but it just starts it self and turns back off, or maybe turns lights on and shit... not like it unlocks doors and drives off...
Old 06-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #128
Cloud

I see lots of new cars coming without a spare tire, or you have to pay extra for the spare tire "option." WTF? How could you not need a spare tire?
Old 06-19-2010, 11:35 PM   #129
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Are you going to change a flat, or call AAA? Those of us that will actually get out there and change a flat are becoming a minority. So if they can save a couple bucks, make it easier to design, and save a little weight for shipping costs/gas mileage, they will.

Especially on "chick cars".
Old 06-20-2010, 12:29 AM   #130
Cloud

I'll call AAA . . . and they'll put on the spare tire. (still confused)*

I make no apologies for "chick cars" 'cause after all . . . I'm a chick. or an old hen, whichever . . .

*ETA: and then I'll drive it to the tire place, where they always tell me I need 4 new tires . . .
Old 06-20-2010, 12:55 AM   #131
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

what you're seeing is most likely the 'full sized spare' option. 99% of cars come with a spare. exceptions would be cars that have differing diameter tires on front and back..... or cars that don't have the storage space like a 370Z or a Vette.

those cars usually either run RunFlat tires, or provide a compressor and some fancy version of fix=a=flat.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #132
Cloud

well, it's a good thing I'm not ready, 'cause I really can't find one car that has everything, at least not in my price range. I know there's no "perfect" car, but I'm discouraged and rethinking things.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #133
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I would insist on a proper spare wheel.
The repair kits can only deal with minor punctures, and are unreliable.
Space savers tyres are better but you have to drive delicately on them. And what are you going to do with the flat while you're driving for repairs? It doesn't fit in the space-saver bay.
Maybe if you are just running around in cities a space saver would be okay. If you're ever going out of mobile phone range, get a real spare.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:58 PM   #134
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Cloud get AAA , worth EVER Penny if yer broke down 20 miles behind the back side of No where ( Where I Live )
Old 07-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #135
Cloud

Got AAA! And btw, I just noticed that AAA members get free credit monitoring, which is a pretty good deal.