The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-20-2001, 09:38 AM   #121
dave

I dunno, sycadork (ha!). I think Henry Rollins would take it, and I'll tell you why:

Hypo Luxa has definitely been there and done that, but what's really important is that we get down to who they really are. Though I'm a great big Ministry fan, I can never forget Ministry's first CD, With Sympathy. I happen to own this, and can attest to the fact that Al Jourgensen is really just a big whiny girl. Listen to that album and cry.

Now, Hank Rollins, on the other hand, is one bad ass mother fucker. Not only has he jammed with Black Flag and The Rollins Band, but he's done spoken word, chilled with TOOL and took on the Street Preacher in Johnny Mneumonic. He is definitely tough - when he got hit by a baseball bat while impersonating Vanilla Ice in the video for 3rd Bass' Pop Goes The Weasel, he didn't go down. Henry Rollins == one tough mother fucker.

Hypo Luxa, alien son of a bitch... definitely goin' down.

(if you didn't get the reference, look up RevCo's "Linger Ficking Good")
Old 12-20-2001, 10:40 AM   #122
Ardax
Irrelevant Adulterant

"Past the Mission" was hand picked just for that. Tori Amos is such a goddess, and one hell of a performer! If you ever see her live, bring a date. You'll be sorry if you don't. Trust me on that one.

NP - "Blondie - Platinum Collection, The [2 of 2] - 14 - Little Caesar"

I think I might be inclined to agree on the Rollins pick though. Talk about the embodiment of bad ass mofo.
Ardax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 05:32 PM   #123
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
Hypo Luxa has definitely been there and done that, but what's really important is that we get down to who they really are. Though I'm a great big Ministry fan, I can never forget Ministry's first CD, With Sympathy. I happen to own this, and can attest to the fact that Al Jourgensen is really just a big whiny girl. Listen to that album and cry.
God, you actually OWN that album? Now what, you gonna tell me that you actually BOUGHT it?

I won't buy that record for ANYTHING. Al himself calls it "an abortion." He says Arista pushed him to make that record. *shrugs* I don't know...it's pretty lame-o. I like the dance-oriented style of Twitch and his earlier singles, but that record was just pure shit...I think Arista was trying to create an American Depeche Mode with that record.

Quote:
Now, Hank Rollins, on the other hand, is one bad ass mother fucker. Not only has he jammed with Black Flag and The Rollins Band, but he's done spoken word, chilled with TOOL and took on the Street Preacher in Johnny Mneumonic. He is definitely tough - when he got hit by a baseball bat while impersonating Vanilla Ice in the video for 3rd Bass' Pop Goes The Weasel, he didn't go down. Henry Rollins == one tough mother fucker

The problem with Hank is that he's a bit too "clean." He's a rather down to earth guy in the end...Al is one ship short of a shipwreck. I'll still take Al.

Quote:
(if you didn't get the reference, look up RevCo's "Linger Ficking Good")
Got the album. You may also recall...

"You don't wanna mess with Buck...Buck will fuck you up."
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 05:40 PM   #124
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Ardax
I'm surprised that everyone's looked over "Songs of Faith and Devotion". (Maybe I shouldn't be?) I like "Condemnation" and my girlfriend really likes "One Caress". (My friend's wife likes that song too, but I'll never see her appreciation for it
It's my personal favorite. MFTM, Violator, and SOFAD are probably their 3 best. A lot of hardcore fans hated SOFAD b/c of the guitars and drums. Oh, fucking get a life already! DM could not go on sounding like they did in 1983...otherwise, they'd be Erasure.

I just can't stand people who aren't open to change, particularly in music. I mean, there are exceptions--AC/DC. Now come on...that's just their signature 3-chord rock. You can't go experimenting with that!
Old 12-20-2001, 09:46 PM   #125
dave

Fuck Buck though.
Old 12-21-2001, 06:33 AM   #126
Griff
still says videotape

Question

Does anybody know which DMB album has the live version of All Along the Watchtower with Blues Traveler (or maybe just John Popper)? Thats a great cut but is there more? thanks G
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 08:53 AM   #127
dave

Buck is a scary fuck.

Re: DMB: go away DMB == gigantic poop chute of a band. You don't want that album, I promise.

No, seriously - go look at http://www.cdnow.com - that'll help you find it.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:47 AM   #128
matt
At last! A dead star!

<rant> Agreed, dhamsaic. Dave Matthews is the Jimmy Buffett of the current generation, inspiring millions of fratboys nationwide to load up on roofies and knock some drunk girls up. </rant>
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 12:56 PM   #129
elSicomoro

Speaking of DM...

If the top part of my hair were bleached blonde, it would look just like Martin Gore's big poofball hairdo. It's kinda cool, although I desperately need a haircut.
Old 12-21-2001, 01:12 PM   #130
Griff
still says videotape

Ha ha. Just don't run down Popper, then you'd be steppin on toes.
Old 12-21-2001, 01:33 PM   #131
dave

Yes, I actually own With Sympathy. No, I did not buy it. Yes, it was a gift. Yes, it is funny.

Al is actually just a big sissy at heart. He spends his nights painting his toenails and talking to his good friend Marisa Tomei about why the boys at school don't like him.

Hank is a loose cannon; a sleeping giant, if you will. Calm until woken. Al would have his ass handed to him.
Old 12-21-2001, 01:50 PM   #132
warch
lurkin old school

*crunch* Sorry Griff. I find Mr. Popper's incessant overplaying to be manic, undazzling, spastic and dweedling. A self indulgent display of circular breathing. But thats just me.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 02:00 PM   #133
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
Yes, I actually own With Sympathy. No, I did not buy it. Yes, it was a gift. Yes, it is funny.
I'm very sorry to hear that.

Okay, now, let's reshape the next part of your post, which really SHOULD read:

Quote:
Hank is actually just a big sissy at heart. He spends his nights painting his toenails and talking to his good friend Marisa Tomei about why the boys at school don't like him.
Al probably spends his nights shooting up smack, plotting his next move to conquer the world, and figuring out what new side project he is going to serve up to the world.

Heh...
Old 12-21-2001, 02:03 PM   #134
elSicomoro

I like John Popper.

I like Dave Matthews.

I think they both make great music with their respective bands.

I think both bands put out so-so last records.

There are a lot of people that bestow Dead-like status upon them, which may or may not be deserved.

That is all.
Old 12-21-2001, 02:16 PM   #135
Griff
still says videotape

et tu warche? *sniff*