The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #121
monster
I hear them call the tide

you two need to get a room ....in one of those drive up motels in BFE with the illuminated arrow signs outside.

just sayin'
Old 05-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #122
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

What? You aren't interested in technical discussions on the various merits of submerged fuel pumps versus exposed fuel pumps?

I admit, trucks give me hard-ons, but somehow I don't think TW and I will be going into THAT much detail. The discussion has been civil thus far and it should remain so, as I suspect neither of us is THAT militant on the subject.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #123
BrianR

Anyway, back to the subject of my whereabouts.

This weekend, I am to be found in Monee, IL. Just south of Chicago.

Anyone in the area? Let me know!
Old 05-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #124
BrianR

Got to meet Labrat

In other news, Labrat and I met briefly in a park near her job. No, nothing hinky happened but I can tell you her ass is every bit as fantastic as it looks in pictures.

Here is a photo of us (SFW) as proof:
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #125
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

THAT is one great pic!

(and a great hat and a great truck!)
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #126
BrianR

Old 05-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #127
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
Fuel pumps in the tank are a bad idea because the fuel can turn into Jell-O in very cold weather, damaging the pump. Also, it's hard to access since the entry is on top of the tank, requiring the tank to be removed and the fuel drained into two 55 gallon drums.
You don't remove fuel to access or replace a pump. Replaced is standard and easy. Pump is mounted in a hole at the top of the tank. It hangs down inside the tank with a large filter on its inlet.

If diesel is jello (so that a pump at 60 PSI cannot push it), then an engine mounted pump with no more than 14 PSI sucking power could not work. If a 14 PSI pump can work, then a tank mounted pump at 60 PSI would have no problems.

I understand why a truck may not want pressurized fuel pipes since a 60 PSI leak would spray fuel. Pumps using suction would only suck in air. But pumps inside fuel tanks with more flammable materials (ie gasoline) have been standard for generations without leaks. Done to eliminate air bubbles and other problems. I still don't grasp why a pump is still mounted on the engine. That pump was moved into the tank long ago for other vehicles, airplanes, etc.

Far more confusing - why would air in diesel lines confuse any trained junior mechanic?

If that is what today’s genetically engineered labrats look like, I’m getting a truck - that does not require a junior mechanic.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #128
BrianR

The answer is obvious to anyone who has seen a truck up close.

There are only a few inches of clearance between the top of the tank and the bottom of the cab. There is simply no room to access the top of the tank...even the fuel fill caps have to be offset a bit to allow the nozzles to get into the tank and still clear the cab.

Thus, any maintenance to the tank requires the removal of up to 120 gallons of diesel before removing the straps and dismounting the tank.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #129
BrianR

And if you want a truck like mine, it'll set you back about $160,000. And my truck is not top-of-the-line either. There are options that can push the price tag close to $200,000. Better start saving those nickles and dimes!

A common truck payment (on a new truck) runs around $4-5,000 per month on a six-year note.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #130
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

What is your 0-60 time?

What's the captain's chair like? Is it comfy enough, the place you have to park your ass all that time?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #131
monster
I hear them call the tide

we want pictures! cab and outside!
Old 05-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #132
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Like this? The garage was cleaned up for the annual Christmas party... '03 I think.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #133
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
There is simply no room to access the top of the tank...even the fuel fill caps have to be offset a bit to allow the nozzles to get into the tank and still clear the cab.
Thus, any maintenance to the tank requires the removal of up to 120 gallons of diesel before removing the straps and dismounting the tank.
How do cars with gas tanks beneath and in front of the rear axle easily replace a fuel pump without removing the tank? They solve the same problem. Cars have fuel pumps and gas gauge inside the gas tank. Pump and gauge (at least on better cars) must be replaceable without removing the gas tank. Same solution can be installed on a truck.

But again, the confusing question is why they still want a pump on the engine - dependent on vacuum to provide fuel?

From your picture, I saw nice headlights.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #134
jinx
Come on, cat.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #135
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I have yet to see a car that you can pull the pump without dropping the tank. If they put the tank under the trunk they could have an access plate but it's such a rare occurrence why bother?