The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 07-20-2002, 11:03 PM   #121
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

*goes to the Texadelphia site*

Mozzarella on a steak...what a crock of shit. I am no longer going to sit idly by while you infect us with your b.s. from Texas. I'M TAKING A STAND!

(Seriously, it sounds interesting, especially the sauces. I'll have to check that place out if I'm ever down that way. )
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 11:09 PM   #122
elSicomoro

CRAPPY CHEESE STEAK ALERT

The Ultimate Deli--Grant Ave. and Academy Rd., NE Philadelphia: First off, I placed my order at 9:10pm and they close at 10...plenty of time. I was told my order would arrive in 30-45 minutes, which is the standard response from most places. Now, this place is less than 2 miles from my house, so I figured it would be closer to 30 minutes. So we waited...for over an hour. Our food finally arrived at 10:15pm.

I ordered a bacon cheese steak and onion rings. The onion rings were soggy as fuck and cold. The steak was tasteless and rubbery and not packed with enough meat to my satisfaction. I could have bought a couple of 40s with my $5 instead of that damned steak. I hereby officially place this restaurant on my shitlist.

This reminds me of a song...

"When I get mad, and I get pissed
I grab my pen and I write out a list
Of all the people that won't be missed
You've made my shitlist."
--L7

Last edited by elSicomoro; 07-20-2002 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:16 PM   #123
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Let's see. Quality cheesesteaks in the Philly burbs:

* The John's Pizza empire. (For the uninitiated, John's Pizza in Frazer, Mike's Pizza in West Chester, Mr. Pizza in Edgmont, Berwyn Pizza in Berwyn and Roger's Bistro in Exton are all the same family.) John's is the original, on Route 30 just past the Home Depot. Awesome food, with John himself (a classy curmudgeon) working the register most of the time.

* I mentioned Drexel Hill Style Pizza in Broomall (West Chester Pike & Route 320) once before, but I'll do it again. Royal Steak (two kinds of cheese, onions, peppers, mushrooms and sauce) is the steak of choice, but nothing on the menu is bad.

* K & G Pizzeria in West Chester (West Chester Pike & Five Points Road) has good cheesesteaks that are less greasy than the norm.

And considerably out of the Philly burbs:

* Billuchio's, "home of the Billy cheese steak," in the Lycoming Mall near Muncy, PA (between Williamsport and Bloomsburg). Amoroso's rolls, nice atmosphere (Mafia-related movie posters are everywhere), and a teriyaki-barbeque sauce that defies description but really WORKS, surprisingly enough. Get the Teriyaki Steak with onions, peppers, provolone and a little marinara, and you're ready to rock.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 04:36 PM   #124
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

I can second the motion on Berywn Pizza....been there done that, very good.

Vito's in King Of Prussia is also very good with both cheesesteaks and hoagies, but almost impossible to find unless you're a native. But if you 're in the area, call them up; they deliver.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 05:50 PM   #125
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I'll plump for

my favorite sandwich and steak shop outside of Phila, Pudge's in Blue Bell.
They have another branch now but I forget where.

Fat sandwiches and steaks and reasonable prices. Voted Best of Philly at least once but I forget when.

Brian
Old 07-23-2002, 06:17 PM   #126
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Pudge's II is on Ridge after the Egypt Rd fork as you are coming out of Norristown. It is not as good as Pudge's I. Both specialize in the chopped/integrated/Roxborough style.

Avoid at all costs the place in Reading Terminal Market!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 06:25 PM   #127
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Pudge's II is on Ridge after the Egypt Rd fork as you are coming out of Norristown.
You mean "as you are driving through Jeffersonville". :-)

If you're there looking for steaks, might as well go to "Amadeos Too". Baldini's (across the street at Schyulkyll) is decent also.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 03:07 PM   #128
russotto
Professor

suburban cheesesteaks

Joe's on US 30 in Wayne.

I used to work in St Davids and get steaks from there occasionally; I miss them.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 01:05 PM   #129
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
*goes to the Texadelphia site*
Mozzarella on a steak...what a crock of shit. I am no longer going to sit idly by while you infect us with your b.s. from Texas. I'M TAKING A STAND!
(Seriously, it sounds interesting, especially the sauces. I'll have to check that place out if I'm ever down that way. )
Don't knock it 'til you try it, Chief. Like I said, double meat's the way to go.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 01:23 PM   #130
Nic Name
retired

The Cheesesteak Project

The cheesesteak project

How they scored

Last edited by Nic Name; 08-11-2002 at 01:27 PM.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 03:09 PM   #131
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I really have to wonder who they found to give the highest marks to steaks that contain spinach and broccoli rabe. That's just so wrong. If I wanted vegetables, I would have ordered a cheesesteak hoagie.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:12 AM   #132
russotto
Professor

They did three steaks from each place. Cheesesteak (onions + American or Wiz), chicken cheesesteak, and the place's specialty steak. That last category is where you get the weird green crap.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 05:33 PM   #133
elSicomoro

Philadelphia magazine did their "Best Of" issue last month. For cheesesteaks, they gave the best award to Lorenzo's at 9th and Christian, and Chink's on Torresdale Ave. in Wissinoming. Never been to either, so I might have to check them out.

The readers picked Pat's as best...*shakes his head and does his best Joey Tribiani voice* WHY GOD, WHY?!

Tony, you'll be pleased to know that the White House Sub Shop in AC got best hoagie.
Old 09-01-2002, 07:22 PM   #134
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I want one. Now.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:30 AM   #135
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Talking Gotta eat 'em all

I'll be coming up again soon. And I'm stopping at Pat's first thing.
I miss a good, greasy cheesesteak. Lorenzo's is also a good choice. I've converted more than one skeptic there.

Didn't I read an article in the Inky about some teenagers who embarked on a quest to identify the best cheesesteak in the area for a school report or project or some such? And where they found a good pork sandwich in the process? Somewhere near Oregon and I-95 I think it was. Anyone remember?

Brian