The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-22-2006, 09:14 AM   #121
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

My Chrysler La Boron gets about 30 MPG, My Dodge Ram 4+4 Gets about 10 MPG
The truck also hauls and tows any thing I want to put in it, it also goes off road and is alot of fun to drive. I love the intemidation factor it is big black with lots of chrome. I live large, and I'm lovi'n it.
" If you dont like the way im livin you can just leave this long haired country boy alone"
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:30 PM   #122
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
I can only apologise for Hugh Laurie's accent in House:P
What? You're nuts, it's perfect. I know several people who didn't even know he was foreign. Apollo from Battlestar Galactica is flawless as well.

Now Colin Farrell, he has a crappy American accent (see Minority Report, for example.)
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:54 PM   #123
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Hmm. Maybe it's just because I know how he usually sounds. To me he sounds very very fakey:P Love the show though.

Now, Apollo I honestly thought was American til I saw on here he wasn't.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #124
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I love British accents, but I REALLY love Scottish accents (should I say brogues?) For examples: Craig Ferguson, or that guy from Four Weddings and a Funeral (who gives the eulogy.) Oh SuhWOOOOOOOON!
Old 11-22-2006, 02:00 PM   #125
DanaC

Ohhh. You would love my mate Andy (or Ondy as he pronounces it:P) He's from Aberdeenshire and speaks a kind of mix of English and Doric (a dialect which I am assured is actually a language in its own right ) When he's around English people he softens it a little so that we can understand him, but I love it when he goes off on one and vents a bunch of Doric. Its a fantastic dialect.

For instance, he refers to his girlfriend as his Quine,(pronounced Kwine, as in She's ma kwine) which I assume comes from queen.

He lives on a Croft, writes music and songs, is an artist and a local Councillor (SNP naturally) and rides about the place on a series of very wonderful bikes and choppers. One enduring image is of him on a bright pink Harley, which he did up for a female friend.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:53 PM   #126
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
What? You're nuts, it's perfect. I know several people who didn't even know he was foreign. Apollo from Battlestar Galactica is flawless as well.
Idris Elba and Dominic West on The Wire are perfect, too.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:18 AM   #127
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram
When people like Buddug uses britishness as justification for racism, hate, and all that bullshit, it makes ALL brits look bad.
Well, Buddug is Welsh, which goes pretty far into explaining the whole inferiority complex ... we don't hold the British responsible for her.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:22 AM   #128
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
What? You're nuts, it's perfect. I know several people who didn't even know he was foreign.
I've had to explain that to people too. None of them had ever seen Blackadder or Fry and Laurie.

The one who most impresses me as far as ability to supress a British accent is Eamon Walker ... he played Kareem Said on Oz.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:30 AM   #129
DanaC

Quote:
Well, Buddug is Welsh, which goes pretty far into explaining the whole inferiority complex ... we don't hold the British responsible for her.
Good!
Old 11-25-2006, 08:44 AM   #130
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram
When people like Buddug uses britishness as justification for racism, hate, and all that bullshit, it makes ALL brits look bad. And since the pricks are the loudest, the ones who only hear them... naturally would come to not like brits.
With respect chick - bollocks. If a troll uses their teenagery as justification for spewing hatred it does not make ALL teens look bad. I'd prefer to think that people could spot personal views for what they are, and not tar a whole nation/ age group/ gender etc etc with the same brush. Meh, I didn't mean to single you out (hence not attributing the quote) so I'll accept that you are entitled to that point of view & leave it there. Anyway I've decided to lighten up (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Check out this link. read down the comments too. http://www.janegalt.net/archives/009523.html
This made me SOOOOOO angry... parts of it are just so.... inaccurate! and then like Dana I just had to laugh. Confuse a Brit by getting them to pump their own gas? Actually that was what turned me over to the giggles - both pump and gas are words for farting here. And farting cuts across any national boundaries - we all pump at the end of the day so I may as well stop being so bloody thin-skinned and imagine everyone sitting down together and having one big trump...

To join the accent conversation - Rennie's was great, as was Gweneth Paltrow's. Simon Pegg is in a film with David Shwimmer (spelling?) which is out this weekend - for us anyway, may be out there already - called The Big Nothing. Interested to hear how he does accent-wise. There was a clip of it on TV last night & I thought the accent was dire, but David Schwimmer said it was good....? Admit I'm not great on accents once it's out of the British Isles.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:58 AM   #131
DanaC

Umm....in what way would we be confused at having to pump our own gas/petrol? We only have self service over here. More likely it would confuse us if someone attempted to fill our car for us.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:27 AM   #132
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

It sucks when people make sweeping generalizations about you and your country, doesn't it?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:33 AM   #133
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Want to really freak out a visiting Brit? Make them pump their own gas, use a kiosk at a market or airport, and -- for the capper -- doctor up their own coffee at Starbucks (or wherever). Guaranteed bewilderment.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:42 AM   #134
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

That's what I mean.

I feel the same way when Hippikos, Jay or Buddug make the same kind of comments about Americans--as if we are all the same kind of people. It hurts.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:45 AM   #135
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
With respect chick - bollocks. If a troll uses their teenagery as justification for spewing hatred it does not make ALL teens look bad. I'd prefer to think that people could spot personal views for what they are, and not tar a whole nation/ age group/ gender etc etc with the same brush. Meh, I didn't mean to single you out (hence not attributing the quote) so I'll accept that you are entitled to that point of view & leave it there. Anyway I've decided to lighten up (see below).

Hey, I dont have anything against Brits, and the pricks among you don't make ME think less of you, but my point is that some people may think that. Statement of a problem is not an endorsement of it.