The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 10-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #121
Adak
Lecturer

Tw: You keep using the "N" word, and I'll have to ignore your sad and racist posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Yes, Adak, you continue to outpace me by a wide margin.

I see we've strayed far from "the real mitt romney", fine, fine. But I still have some questions about some buzzphrases you keep using. You've still not helped me understand what constitutes "true conservative". And I've noticed another recurring theme in your posts. You keep decrying "a government hand out", and you contrasted it to "a government hand up" at one point. A couple questions--what is the difference between a hand up and a hand out? And what are these government hand outs you're so bothered about in the first place?

---

Thank you for the inclusion of the links in your previous posts, I appreciate that. I have some suggestions for improvement, but I must first acknowledge this first big step. Nice work!
I thought you'd get a real idea of Mitt, by watching the debate. He did a very fine job.

A hand up is any program that includes a central core protocol that stresses giving people a lift upward, in their ability to earn a living. Job retraining for disabled vets, is a good example.

A hand out is any program that lacks a central theme of lifting people upward in economic mobility, leading to regular dependency on the part of the recipient. Typically, they aren't even making an effort to get off the dole. Why should they?
Welfare recipients who could work but don't, living off welfare for decades, are a good example.

I'll post up something defining a true conservative, when I have more time to write.

The highly anticipated jobs stats for September came in this morning. Our "phoney" unemployment rate is now down a little bit, to 7.8%. Our real unemployment rate (which includes those who would work, but have now quit looking), is estimated by the WSJ (Wall Street Journal), to be 11.1% in preliminary estimates. (which are frequently revised).

Can you see the Presidential race, as a baseball game? It's the bottom of the ninth inning, and you NEED a double to bring around the winning score. Who will you send up as the designated hitter?

Obama, who has a dismal .190 batting average? Or Romney who has a huge .350 batting average?

Despite everything else, YOU KNOW that Romney runs RINGS around Obama, when it comes to business, and Ryan runs RINGS around Biden, without even trying, (as most of us do, <cough, cough>). You have to choose a batter, which one is your choice?

Mitt Romney is the only real choice for President. As I've said before, I'd like to have seen Obama have a great two terms, but he got hit by this recession, and he just hasn't been able to handle it.

Obama has no plans to handle it, if he is re-elected. Did you hear any new plans from him, during the 90 minute debate? Anything that sounded good to get us out of this economic downturn we've been caught up in for years now? Obama has nothing - nothing new, and he can't repeat the throw money at it solution he tried before, because we can't afford it.

BigV, thanks, and I know that some of those websites I linked to aren't the best for research, but others had the data in Excel spreadsheets and other formats, that I can't handle on this computer.

Last edited by Adak; 10-05-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #122
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
Tw: You keep using the "N" word, and I'll have to ignore your sad and racist posts.
--snip
What the heck are you talking about?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #123
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

He saw the word nigger and missed the context entirely.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #124
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Mitt 'did a fine job' in the debate. I keep hearing that and I wondered if I saw the same debate. Sure, he was aggressive, maybe 'presidential' but he still didn't actually say anything.

Obama asked him to explain how, if he's going to leave the rich taxes alone, how else can he fix a trillion in deficit without any impact to the middle class taxes. The most I heard was that he plans to cut from other programs. 'Other programs' is Rom-speak for ' programs that affect the poor and middle classes.' Careful, people, what you ask for. And, um, cutting funding to PBS? Yeah, there's a whopping .01 percent of the budget. Ha!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #125
infinite monkey

Mitt is so very sorry about his 47% comment, he was completely wrong. How sweet. Two days ago he staunchly supported his statement.

How in the hell are people buying this nonsense? Are we, as a nation, really that dumbed down?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #126
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
What the heck are you talking about?
Blah blah blah cherry pick cherry pick blah blah blah rhetoric be afraid blah blah, that's what!
Old 10-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #127
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Mitt is so very sorry about his 47% comment, he was completely wrong. How sweet. Two days ago he staunchly supported his statement.

How in the hell are people buying this nonsense? Are we, as a nation, really that dumbed down?
Mitt Romney is an asshole conservative

*shakes etch-a-sketch*

Mitt Romney is a rational moderate
Old 10-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #128
glatt

Props are probably against the rules, but it would have been great if Obama brought an etch-a-sketch to the debate.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #129
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
He saw the word nigger and missed the context entirely.
Almost correct. I don't tolerate such offensive language. Like I said, been there (in the Deep South), saw that racist ideology, and it was sickening.

You want to have me reply to your post, you don't use words like that.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #130
DanaC

What if you are talking about racism? Simply using the word to make a point about racism isn't propogating racist ideology.

If you are so sensitized to the language and mechanisms of racism, then you really should be able to spot the parrallels in the anti-muslim rhetoric and action, in which some people are engaging, and which is tacitly endorsed by much western media and mainstream politics.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #131
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:

You've been "buying" Obama's sweet nothings, for years, what's the problem?

His statement was correct, but ONLY within the context of a political analysis. As a front page 10 second sound byte, with no context, yeah, it's something that should have remained in the room.

Everybody takes short cuts in their speaking which, if taken out of context, sound bad. We just don't have as many little ass-bites running around with hidden recorders, as the Democrats have.

And even if we did, the White House and Air Force One, is tough territory to eavesdrop on the President!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #132
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
Mitt 'did a fine job' in the debate. I keep hearing that and I wondered if I saw the same debate. Sure, he was aggressive, maybe 'presidential' but he still didn't actually say anything.

Obama asked him to explain how, if he's going to leave the rich taxes alone, how else can he fix a trillion in deficit without any impact to the middle class taxes. The most I heard was that he plans to cut from other programs. 'Other programs' is Rom-speak for ' programs that affect the poor and middle classes.' Careful, people, what you ask for. And, um, cutting funding to PBS? Yeah, there's a whopping .01 percent of the budget. Ha!

Even if you took EVERY PENNY, from the top 10% of our income earners, in taxes, you wouldn't begin to break even on the spending we're doing, versus our income to the gov't.

You MUST start trimming down the size of the federal gov't, or we are headed for a meltdown, and it won't be all that far off, either.

Give me a guess. What do you believe is our national debt, per day, hour, minute or second? Not the amount we spend that's covered, by income, but the amount ABOVE what we have coming into the federal gov't.

You WILL be shocked!
Old 10-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #133
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
...I'm currently teaching historical skills and historiography to 1st year undergrads, and one of the first things they learn is that, unlike at school and college, the texts they read are not to be treated as unassailable fact. They are not to be approached in the same way as a school text book, where the word on the page is what you learn to be true.
Does this scare anyone else?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #134
DanaC

Ha! What about that scares you?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #135
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
His statement was correct, but ONLY within the context of a political analysis. As a front page 10 second sound byte, with no context, yeah, it's something that should have remained in the room.
No it wasn't. The 47% comment was wrong for so many reasons. It is a typical Republican (note that I do not mean conservative) argument that incites emotion and can be defended only because of how it was framed. Frame it any differently and it is completely wrong. The same goes for foreign policy and the stimulus.

If you actually break down the 47% who do not pay income taxes, it looks a hell a lot different than purely government parasites. If Mitt Romney wants to know why 47% of American will never vote for him, rewatch the Republican primary debates. Republicans (not necessarily conservatives) have gone completely off the deep end. Romney's campaign finally realized that and it explains his very quick switch in positions at the debate.