Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #1231
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanpretty View Post
Dayum! What was he driving?

I have a small complaint I'd like to make real quick:
I cannot seem to make sense on any of my calls. Its like the sentence I form in my head comes out all jumbled. My customers must think I'm crazy. The other techs are getting a laugh tho...
Me too! I'm calling to invite potential clients to a seminar tomorrow night, but who'd wanna invest with someone as stupid sounding as me? Think I'd better take a breather before I settle in for more rejection.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #1232
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

This morning I was sitting with an Rx bottle in one hand, other holding the phone as I was ordering a refill from the pharmacy. A spider with a body about the size of my fingernail and legs all bent and spidery danced onto my wrist & growled* at me. After my little freak-out, it disappeared. I have showered, changed clothes, etc., but I can still feel it in my hair, crawling over my ankle, etc., and see it out of the corner of my eye preparing to spring at me from every surface.
*Well, it sure seemed like it growled!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #1233
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

OK
Old 04-29-2009, 02:36 AM   #1234
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I reckon most governments must be happy about swine flu. It really seems to be taking the attention of the media well and truly away from the financial crisis.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:59 AM   #1235
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

What I am now 99% certain is the tail end of a snake's discarded skin is sticking out from under a large mass of cement. I can see about 8" of it. I don't know if the remaining bunches of inches of the snake skin are empty of live snake, or not. I need to borrow someone's boychild, maybe 8 to 12 years old to gently pull on the tail skin and see what happens. Anyone?
Old 04-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #1236
glatt

I am required by law to fill out a thick questionnaire the Census bureau sent to us today. It's the "American Community Survey." 28 pages long. There are 48 questions for each of the members of the household. And the questions have subquestions, sometimes up to a dozen or so. Interesting.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #1237
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

How did they select you? How can they require that sort of thing?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #1238
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Ali you don't get it, if no one survives the crisis is solved.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:08 AM   #1239
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
How did they select you? How can they require that sort of thing?
They claim my household was selected at random, and while there is supposedly a law saying I have to fill it out, I wonder if it has any teeth.

It asks for things like how many people live here, number of rooms in the house, plumbing, utility bills in previous year, and even my income. It will take a while to fill out if I have to look up all that stuff.

I'll fill it out though. I'm usually pretty obedient that way. Besides, they use it to allocate resources, so in theory, it's important that I get counted so the schools and stuff get federal money.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #1240
Tiki

Not sure what thread to put this in, but my mom just emailed me to tell me that she has made contact with my long-lost brother, who she gave up at birth. He lives a few miles away and his name is Bob.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #1241
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Wow. That's huge Tiki. How'd you feel about that?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #1242
Cloud

you put that in its own thread.

wow.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #1243
DanaC

Yah. Definately thread worthy.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #1244
Tiki

OK, I started a thread: http://cellar.org/showthread.php?p=561973#post561973
Old 05-02-2009, 03:44 AM   #1245
DanaC

*grins* I brought a lump to mums throat. She heard my Three Musketeers poem and loved it. When I read it to her, she remembered the time I'd had in mind, when we went alien hunting in the middle of the night. Ended up having a delightful hour reminding each other of different things we'd done. Like when we went looking for witches up on Pendle Hill. And getting lost along the lanes round Barrow Bridge and Rivington Pike. *chuckles* Our Kid doing the navigating, and mum gripping the little mini's steering wheel with white knuckles. It was her first car, she'd only learned to drive in her 30s. She'd have been a little younger than I am now. Me in the back of the car with first the one westie then a little later on a second dog was added to the team.

Oh it used to be so exciting. We'd go off, bundled up in our coats with flasks of hot tea. The moon high and bright. Trying to be quiet as we left the house and got into the car, whispering our laughter and giggles. Martin scaring me with witch stories.

There are times I miss those days with a physical force. That little mini-clubman estate, with its rust and its rattle, and the dogs barking at nothing; and mum and martin arguing about which turn to take, and me talking (always talking, I never shut up as a kid), leaning forward in my seat. The tea from the flask, so hot it burned your throat, but in a good way, a satisfying way. That's home. That feeling. Those moments.

Tags
dum, oh the whorror