The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 05-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #106
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

EEvaaaaahhh...Like in the movie wall-E (as has been pointed out since we picked the name).

Aden will be 16 when she's born (provided she's not more than 6 weeks early) so yeah, getting older, but he's planning on going to Uni which is just up the road from here, so I suspect he'll be around for a few years yet.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #107
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh I knew it was a girl as soon as you posted here!
(okay, just basic odds)

Happy for you
And laughin up my sleeve that everyone will assume you were holding out for a daughter. Like Posh & Becks.

Congrats, darling.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #108
Aliantha

Thanks Sundae, and it's true that the reactions to it being a girl have been OTT to say the least, and all I can do is stand there and say, "yeah, it's a girl. Yeah, it's nice, but I probably would have preferred another boy." The look on some people's faces has been priceless. It goes everywhere from, 'are you crazy' to 'holy shit, you really are crazy'.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #109
monster
I hear them call the tide

Don't say that Ali. Some thoughtless bitch is going to tell her you would have preferred a boy and that's a shitload of emotianal baggage for some.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:14 AM   #110
Aliantha

Oh I'm pretty sure that when she's throwing a teenage girl hissy fit I'll lose my patience and say something like, "See, this behaviour is why I thought it would be easier to have another boy. Stop being such a girl!"

Hopefully, at this point, because I've been such a wonderful parent so far, she'll laugh and go play in the mud or something.

Besides, I'm sure she'll get enough sooking throughout her life to make up for any bitchy comments that might come her way.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #111
Aliantha

So, I mentioned elsewhere that the docs told me yesterday that I have gestational diabetes. It was a bit of a surprise, and I'm still in a bit of shock over it all, but my logical brain is already dealing with it. Emotionally it's a bit rough mostly because this is turning out to be a pretty difficult pregnancy and I just wasn't prepared for any other challenges.

So anyway, I'm supposed to eat small meals which are low in sugars and high in fibre every few hours. The biggest problem with this is that I'm just not that hungry really. I feel like if I start stuffing myself I'll just vomit. Anyway, I suppose I just have to have a cracker or a stick of celery or something in between main meals. I haven't really been eating that much at all though. I think my stomach has shrunk a bit after all the vomiting and even if it hasn't, I think I'll just get indigestion worse if I eat too much.

Life sux just at the moment, but I'm trying to bouy myself up with planning and getting started on setting up the room for the baby, which will realistically be here in as little as 10 weeks, so it's time to get started I guess.

First though, I have to have a rescan because they couldn't see some parts of the baby in the 20 week scan, so hopefully that'll all be fine and I wont have anything else to worry about on top of that.

The good news is, the medication seems to be keeping my BP close to normal so far, so as long as I don't forget to take it, things are ok that way.

Don't get pregnant when you're old. It sux.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #112
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

You know I am happy for you Ali, and know you will cope and be a wonderful Mother (again) with your very awesome family.

Reading this has made me very very happy that our little conversation a month ago turned out the way it did!!!!
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:48 AM   #113
Aliantha

lol...I'm glad too Ducky. 40 is way too old to have another kid.

I'll be heading up to Dad's after the hol's. Hopefully we can have a catch up then. xxx
Old 07-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #114
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Fruit juices might be a bit high in sugar, but vegetable juices might be just the thing. Carrot/apple*/celery/ginger is good. What do you think?

*yeah, I know, so what.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #115
Aliantha

They said I can have two pieces of fruit a day, or as much watermelon or strawberries as I like (within reason of course). Low in sugars.

I usually just drink water anyway, and my diet is not high in sugar in any case. I'm only just over the threshold, so I don't know if it might have had something to do with being sick at the time I took the test, but it doesn't matter too much now. I'll just modify my eating habits a bit and only have half a teaspoon in my coffee in the morning. I can give up deserts and sweets for 10 weeks or so. It's not like I've been eating much of that stuff so far anyway having been pretty crook a lot of the time.

I have to go to a learning session on Wednesday, and they'll give me one of those little pin prick tester things, so I'll know if I'm going wrong or not on a daily basis.

I'm less concerned about it than I was a few days ago now that I've had some time to do some research and get used to the idea. As far as I can tell, it's what comes after the pregnancy that's the real concern. I'll have to get straight back into the regimen I was in before I got preggers and dump any excess weight I have and generally get myself to the place I was heading for anyway, but without delay.

50% of women who have gestational diabetes end up with type 2 diabetes within 5 years. I don't intend to be a part of that statistic.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #116
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
50% of women who have gestational diabetes end up with type 2 diabetes within 5 years. I don't intend to be a part of that statistic.
You go, girl!
Old 07-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #117
Aliantha

I'm gonna go and go and go and go.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #118
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha
They said I can have two pieces of fruit a day, or as much watermelon or strawberries as I like (within reason of course). Low in sugars.
Nothing at all to do with you, Ali, but it irritates me so much that they told you this.

Carbs=sugar as far as your body is concerned, and you would get so much more bang for your buck by eliminating cereal/bread/pasta/rice/potatoes instead of fruit. But they know that the average person just isn't going to do that. So instead they tell you to give up fruit, because lots of people will do that.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #119
Aliantha

Oh yeah I know all that already. I actually asked specifically about fruit because being winter here it's not as much salad weather, but fruit with plain yoghurt or something is nice still (I know, call me weird) or cheese and fruit is a nice snack food.

I'm just having a bircher muselie for breaky and then trying to stick to whole foods for the rest of the day, with mostly veges and proteins. It's going ok, and I feel fine anyway, so I think it'll all be fine.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #120
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Yeah, I know you're a smart chick and you'll be fine regardless. I'm just on a hair trigger about doctors trying to play nutritionist. Did they say you have to start the finger pricks right away, or is it a wait and see thing?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote