Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 03-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #106
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
But that money you take as income, you could have used to buy turkeys and taken them up in a helicopter and let them fly to the poor starving people at the mall.
Or drop them frozen out of the helicopter onto the housing project.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:10 AM   #107
TheMercenary

[quote=sugarpop;549790]Sorry, but a corporation is there to supply a service or product to the public, and jobs to people. Shareholders profits should come after the people doing the work are actually compensated fairly for that work. If it weren't for the workers, there would be no product - no product, no profit. without workers, they go out of business.[quote]No, they are there to make a profit off a product. Private corps exist to sell something to people who want their product and in the long run they do only to make money. They need people to help them make that profit, so they hire them at a wage that people will accept to do the work. People can choose not to work there if they think the pay is to low or if they did not feel they were being fairly compensated.

Quote:
Why would they have to work as volunteers? I believe doctors and nurses and others in medicine make a very comfortable living in other countries that have a single payer system. Why should medicine be about profit? You see where it's gotten us?
Who sets the bar for what is "comfortable"? There is no way you can compare anything about "a very comfortable living" in the US to say "a very comfortable living" in Spain, or Somalia. In this country medicine is a for profit business, that is just the way it is, I think that is unlikely to change in our life time. Many aspects of the field of medicine require people to go to school and training for many more years than the average person is willing to do, and incur mounds of debt. If everyone could do it the job would be easy to get and easy to do. It is not.

Quote:
I'm talking about the top 2%. You are talking about average rich people with jobs instead of empires. If the progressive tax system was not riddled with loopholes it would be a very fair system. And so what? Why do hate the majority of the people in this country?
Hate?

Quote:
If you have a family, then you should know how much insurance costs. AVERAGE insurance policies for an individual are over 5k/year, and for a family average over $15k/year. Even people who make $50k-60k/year would have trouble paying that, depending on where they live.
I agree, we don't have a health care crisis, we have a health insurance crisis. Thank the people who let the HMO's and insurance companies take over your care. I promise you the federal government is not going to do a better job for you. And when and if they do you will get what you pay for.

Quote:
But by the same token, it also isn't the Constitution that people should get obscenely rich while walking all over everyone else. They wanted a more equal and fair society. That doesn't mean completely equal in the sense that everyone has the same things. Corporations were not meant to have the power they have now.
The framers of the Constitution and what they thought have very little to do with where we are in our economy today. We have evolved. "Pursuit of happiness", not a promise or right to happiness.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #108
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
But that money you take as income, you could have used to buy turkeys and taken them up in a helicopter and let them fly to the poor starving people at the mall.
I swear to God I thought turkeys could fly.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:05 AM   #109
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:26 AM   #110
glatt

Wikipedia

Quote:
Turkey Trot

One of the longest traditions in Yellville is the annual Turkey Trot festival. Beginning in 1945 with the first turkey dropped from the roof of the Marion County Courthouse, the festival continues today. It is held every second weekend of October with the best-known attraction being live turkeys that are dropped from airplanes over the town square. October 2005 marked the 60th anniversary of this festival. The 1970s television show, WKRP in Cincinnati, parodied the turkey drop on one of their best-known episodes. Yellville and the Turkey Trot Festival were also included in the American supermarket tabloid The National Enquirer in 1989 with photographs of the festival and commentary on animal cruelty. Due to the bad press, the turkey drop ceased for a few years. It has since resumed. The Turkey Trot festival also includes a Miss Turkey Trot Pageant, a Miss Drumstickz Competition (best legs), dinners, musical entertainment, a 5 kilometer run, a parade (which has included former Arkansas governor and former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee), and a nationally recognized turkey calling contest sponsored by the National Wild Turkey Federation. Crafts and tools related to the hunting of wild turkeys are also sold in streetside booths along the town square. Entertainment at Turkey Trot has ranged in recent years from famous acts like John Conlee singer of "Rose Colored Glasses" and Jeannie Kendall from the Grammy-award winning group The Kendalls, to more local entertainment by area groups such as The Muddles, South 14, Joe Sasser and Friends, and Carnes McCormack.
Edit: Oh, and here's more.

And pictures.

Last edited by glatt; 03-27-2009 at 10:33 AM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #111
TheMercenary

I am surprised that PETA isn't there to protest.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #112
lookout123
changed his status to single

I support dropping PETA members from low flying aircraft.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:31 PM   #113
TheMercenary

I support dropping them from really high flying aircraft. Really high.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #114
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Pico: thanks for posting the WKRP in Cincinnati tube. Classic!
Old 03-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #115
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
. Classic!
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat??????????

Why are you yellin at me again?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:38 AM   #116
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
I support dropping them from really high flying aircraft. Really high.
I support shooting them with harpoons. Really, really big fucking harpoons.

They should appreciate that. At least I'm not shooting whales.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #117
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat??????????

Why are you yellin at me again?
Because you just never LISTEN.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #118
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
That was on an episode of WKRP in Cincinnati.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #119
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
No, they are there to make a profit off a product. Private corps exist to sell something to people who want their product and in the long run they do only to make money. They need people to help them make that profit, so they hire them at a wage that people will accept to do the work. People can choose not to work there if they think the pay is to low or if they did not feel they were being fairly compensated.
Well, since wages suck pretty much everywhere for many people, how exactly do you suggest they do that? Corporate America has been taking advantage of workers for years, and it gets worse all the time. My god, I made more money waiting tables in the late 70s/early 80s than many professional people make today. WTF? When the minimum wage was enacted, it should have been raised every year to keep up with cost of living. If it had, we might find ourselves in a much more equitable situation today. Corporations should not be allowed to to give ceos and execs boatloads of money while ingoring the very people who actually MAKE the product. It's just wrong.

Quote:
Who sets the bar for what is "comfortable"? There is no way you can compare anything about "a very comfortable living" in the US to say "a very comfortable living" in Spain, or Somalia. In this country medicine is a for profit business, that is just the way it is, I think that is unlikely to change in our life time. Many aspects of the field of medicine require people to go to school and training for many more years than the average person is willing to do, and incur mounds of debt. If everyone could do it the job would be easy to get and easy to do. It is not.
Why? European countries are just as civilized (one might argue more) as we are. Doctors in those countries have to go to school too. And I am not saying doctors, or lawyers, or other professionals, who go to school and get degrees do not deserve to earn more money, they do. I am arguing against insurance companies, because they are scams. My god. We have corporations in this country who are nothing more than scam artists and loan sharks.

Quote:
Hate?
You do seem to have a real aversion to people who are less fortunate, who don't have much money. Not personally, but when arguing these big questions.

Quote:
I agree, we don't have a health care crisis, we have a health insurance crisis. Thank the people who let the HMO's and insurance companies take over your care. I promise you the federal government is not going to do a better job for you. And when and if they do you will get what you pay for.
I just don't believe it. I think it would be a LOT better if we got rid of insurance companies, and allowed doctors to treat their patients as they see fit, and then the government pays for it. It works in other countries.

Quote:
The framers of the Constitution and what they thought have very little to do with where we are in our economy today. We have evolved. "Pursuit of happiness", not a promise or right to happiness.
I would argue that we haven't evolved, but devolved. Where is the humanity in our governing?
Old 03-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #120
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
Because medicine is a product and service like anything else. If you want things, whatever those things are, you need to work for them.
I agree with you. but when medicine has become so costly that many millions of people can't afford it, there is something VERY WRONG with that picture. And it is just getting worse. Some things just should not be about profit. Medicine is one of them.