The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #106
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
3. I'm just wondering why religious people aren't allowed to protect and defend things that are central to their faith without being attacked...
Would you try to stop me from saying JFC, if I want to?
Old 03-20-2006, 03:09 PM   #107
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
Would you try to stop me from saying JFC, if I want to?
No. I didn't think I ever suggested anything of the sort. I just don't like it -- it strikes me as deliberately antagonistic towards Christians. I don't say things that attack other people's religion, and I appreciate when someone shows me the same courtesy.

Come to think of it, I don't really ever deliberately insult anyone. I cuss occasionally, but I don't direct it at someone's religion, because that's something I take personally.

It's funny. If someone says "talking on a cell phone in a restaurant is rude" they get pretty much universal agreement. But if they say "that's blasphemous, therefore rude," they get sermonized (har har) about taking away everyone's free speech. Before you take all religious people to task for being overly sensitive, observe your own reactions...

[python]Help, I'm being repressed[/python].
Old 03-20-2006, 03:29 PM   #108
Spexxvet

Quote:
No. I didn't think I ever suggested anything of the sort. I just don't like it -- it strikes me as deliberately antagonistic towards Christians. I don't say things that attack other people's religion, and I appreciate when someone shows me the same courtesy.
Thank you. My intention was to show you courtesy by only using the initials.

Quote:
It's funny. If someone says "talking on a cell phone in a restaurant is rude" they get pretty much universal agreement. But if they say "that's blasphemous, therefore rude," they get sermonized (har har) about taking away everyone's free speech. Before you take all religious people to task for being overly sensitive, observe your own reactions...
I think that's about shared values. Feeling that using a cell phone in a restaurant is a value that you share with others. Blaspheming is something you don't share. It probably doesn't help that religious words bother you, but fucking cunt doesn't. I have a friend who has that perspective, and he confuses me - he curses up a blue streak and then when I say G-damn, he says "yo man, there's no call for that".
Old 03-20-2006, 04:17 PM   #109
mrnoodle
bent

That's not confusing, really. If you have a friend who doesn't smoke, do you persist in lighting up in front of them if they ask you not to? What if they get drunk? I mean, that's bad for you too -- why should a little smoke bother them? Maybe you don't believe the same medical garbage they do about cigarettes...do they really have a right to suddenly get all religious about the issue? Why do they persist in pushing their values down your throat?

Unwieldy parallelism, but you get the idea.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:47 PM   #110
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

lets just agree that "cunt" is a funny insult and "JFC" can be reserved for those that are not religous

agreed?
Old 03-20-2006, 05:39 PM   #111
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I need more clarity

If "JC" is not rudely blasphemous

and "JFC" IS rudely blasphemous...

What about "Jumping JC on a pogo stick"?

What about "J Freakin' C"?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #112
Spexxvet

Quote:
That's not confusing, really. If you have a friend who doesn't smoke, do you persist in lighting up in front of them if they ask you not to? What if they get drunk? I mean, that's bad for you too -- why should a little smoke bother them? Maybe you don't believe the same medical garbage they do about cigarettes...do they really have a right to suddenly get all religious about the issue? Why do they persist in pushing their values down your throat?

Unwieldy parallelism, but you get the idea.
I don't think it's quite so cut and dried as that. More like a hard liquor drinker who is offended at my drinking wine.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:44 PM   #113
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
I need more clarity

If "JC" is not rudely blasphemous

and "JFC" IS rudely blasphemous...

What about "Jumping JC on a pogo stick"?
Not rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
What about "J Freakin' C"?
Rude

IMHO
Old 03-20-2006, 05:49 PM   #114
mrnoodle
bent

splitting hairs = rude silly

variations on J(something)C are different levels of rudeness. don't worry your pretty little heads about it, just please refrain from doing it in my presence if it's not too much trouble. If not, I can't "make" you quit, I'll just take it as a sign that you don't care about offending me, and make my social plans accordingly.

Why does this really need to be spelled out?

Poking christians with sticks is still good sport after all these years.... ah well.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:54 PM   #115
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

noodle, did you read 'Lamb?'
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:15 PM   #116
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

If you're going to be offended by stuff I might blurt out randomly, thoughtlessly, then I sort of want to know exactly where the line is, so I don't mess up and cross it without ill intent.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:10 PM   #117
Kagen4o4

so is JFC at lvl orange rudeness, where as J fiddlesticks C closer to lvl green rudeness?
you should make a chart. that way, if you insult us noodle, we'll know with just how much rudeness we can retaliate with

like, if you call someone an idiot, they can say J poopoo C
and if you call them a asslicking goat fucker, they can whip out the big guns and say J fucking cunt C.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:43 AM   #118
wolf
lobber of scimitars

How's about not going out of your way to find new and amusing methods of antagonizing him?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:56 AM   #119
Kagen4o4

but they were amusing right?
Old 03-21-2006, 05:23 AM   #120
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
How's about not going out of your way to find new and amusing methods of antagonizing him?
Why .......does he deserve special treatment? going out of our way to antagonize is an expression of affection down here. i mean, if he's going to all that trouble to get offended, the least we can do is to try and meet him half way. Cheese and Fucking Rice.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote