The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-01-2007, 05:50 PM   #106
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I'm not complaining rkz. I'm arguing a point. There's a difference.

Anyway, I'm sure if I lived in the US I'd want to carry a gun too, so go ahead and do what you want along with the likes of UG and MaggieL et al.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #107
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45
What if your freedoms inflict on my freedoms? Or my freedoms inflict on yours?
Can you please make this make sense?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:15 PM   #108
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

It means, that if your idea of freedom conflicts with his therefor one of you will not be free if the other is.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:07 AM   #109
wolf
lobber of scimitars

How does my owning and carrying a gun, without any intent to harm anyone who isn't trying to harm me, conflict with anyone else's freedom?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:24 AM   #110
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha
Anyway, I'm sure if I lived in the US I'd want to carry a gun too, so go ahead and do what you want along with the likes of UG and MaggieL et al.
And we'd probably enjoy an afternoon at the shooting range with you if you did live here, making noise and holes in paper.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:29 AM   #111
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45
What if your freedoms inflict on my freedoms? Or my freedoms inflict on yours?
This sort of question gets answered empirically in our Republic weekly if not daily. The results have been largely satisfactory these 230 years, counting from 1776, or 217 counting from 1789's adoption of the Constitution.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:48 AM   #112
NoBoxes

Old 01-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #113
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
UG...I am far from blind. I see things (including you) very clearly.

I don't think you need to be tough to be free.
Again, others disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Paine
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it...What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #114
MaggieL

Quote:
Anyway, I'm sure if I lived in the US I'd want to carry a gun too...
And if you lived in the US, you'd be allowed to.

Probably.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:16 PM   #115
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065
Based on this are we to assume everyone should get in line and be handed a gun so that those who are up to "your definition of responsibility" can kill off those who aren't?
Really missing the point there. In the phrase you quoted, I was expressing my opinion that the government should stop trying to protect drug users from themselves; there's far too many unintended consequences and collateral damage from those efforts. The Darwininan effect would arise when someone managed to kill himself with cheap, freely available drugs.

Those who are up to "my standard of responsibility" only use deadly force when it is consistant with the principles of the law on justification. That doesn't happen much...and with drugs legalized it would happen even less.

Quote:
Are you saying that we should individually restrict gun possession?
I think people should make thier own decisions about it, but if you don't think you can handle the responsibility, I encourage you to opt out. Do read that link I posted to Ethics from the Barrel of A Gun.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #116
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
Really missing the point there. In the phrase you quoted, I was expressing my opinion that the government should stop trying to protect drug users from themselves; there's far too many unintended consequences and collateral damage from those efforts. The Darwininan effect would arise when someone managed to kill himself with cheap, freely available drugs.
I still don't agree with that concept either, but apologize for the misquote.
Quote:
I think people should make thier own decisions about it, but if you don't think you can handle the responsibility, I encourage you to opt out. Do read that link I posted to Ethics from the Barrel of A Gun.
You seemed to have forgotten, I have owned guns since I was 16 yrs old and still have two. They are both kept at my parents home so that there are no "accidents." I have a son that lives with me.
I respect the fact that you want to own certain types of weapons, but it seems a bit overboard. What realistic purpose does a machine gun, a bomb, tank or a howitzer serve for Joe Average in todays society?
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #117
rkzenrage

Quote:
It means, that if your idea of freedom conflicts with his therefor one of you will not be free if the other is.
You sound like the PMRC.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:04 PM   #118
MaggieL

Quote:
I respect the fact that you want to own certain types of weapons, but it seems a bit overboard. What realistic purpose does a machine gun, a bomb, tank or a howitzer serve for Joe Average in todays society?
Today's society is not composed totally of "Joe Average", and people's activities are not subject to your review for compliance with "realistic purpose" and assurance that it's not "a bit overboard". This whole principle of "prove to us you need this before we'll permit you to have it" is odious.

You certainly have a strange way of showing your "respect".

Imagine being legally required to prove to your local Green people that you *need* an internal combustion engine before you could have one. (And watch how many morons pipe up here with "Yeah, I think that would be a great idea!") Or how about being require to prove to the Pope that you "need" condoms...

By the way, there are over 13,000 machine guns currently registered by the ATF in Pennsylvania. I'm unaware that *any* of them have been used in a crime, although someone may be able to produce an anecdote or two.

Shouldn't you have to prove there's a problem before imposing a restriction on somebody else, rather than imposing a requrement on them to prove that there isn't? Awfully difficult to prove a negative...

Old 01-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #119
MaggieL

Quote:
You seemed to have forgotten, I have owned guns since I was 16 yrs old and still have two. They are both kept at my parents home so that there are no "accidents."
Will you be introducing your son to firearms when *he* turns 16?

Why the scare quotes on "accidents"? Do you really just mean accidents, or something more sinister?

Old 01-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #120
glatt

Quote:
(And watch how many morons pipe up here with "Yeah, I think that would be a great idea!")
Trying to intimidate Dwellars into silence, are we? Classy.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote