The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 06-22-2006, 12:52 AM   #106
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddug
Strictly speaking you cannot call yourself a Christian just because you follow the teachings of Christ . To be a Christian you have to accept the idea of the Virgin Birth , and you have to accept the idea that Jesus died and rose again . This is the core of Christianity , and if you don't believe that then you are not a Christian .
Cite, specifically, where in the Bible it says, exactly, that, please. Or is this made-up like the rapture?

After study for some time I have learned this. The Book and Christ rarely are rarely repeditive... so this must be VERY important.

Mark 12:17
And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.

Matthew 22:21
They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.

Luke 20:25
And he said unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which be Caesar's, and unto God the things which be God's.

Amendment 1 (1st for a reason)
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

In Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli, an agreement signed between the United States and the Muslim region of North Africa in 1797 after negotiations concluded by George Washington (the document, which was approved by the Senate in accordance with Constitutional law, and then signed by John Adams), it states flatly, "The Government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." signed by John Adams
"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it!" John Adams

“The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One’s right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections.” - Supreme Court Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

Last edited by rkzenrage; 06-22-2006 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:22 PM   #107
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchi
Nope, that does not "make a Christian". That makes a 5th Century Roman Catholic.
That would come as a complete surprise to about two million 21st-century US Episcopalians, Tonch. Read over all three Creeds and see how much of each you agree with, either as a nondenominational moral being or as a professed Christian, whichever or whatever you may be.

Note, too, that I never said the Creeds were the be-all and end-all of the Christian faiths. I said they were a base-line. They aren't Scripture; that, shall we say, has a very considerable influence in all this. They are a convenient paraphrasing of the barest essentials -- and as conveniences, mighty handy to Christians.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:22 PM   #108
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Episcopalians apparently aren't christian anymore. They voted at their convention to reject a resolution declaring that you can only be saved in the name of Jesus Christ.

Remember that schism that they barely avoided with Robinson's election to Bishop? Here it comes ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:23 PM   #109
rkzenrage

One person cannot tell another that they are or are not a Christian... the hubris is sickening.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:35 PM   #110
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
One person cannot tell another that they are or are not a Christian... the hubris is sickening.
No, but they can tell you that "ya goin' ta hell!"
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:51 PM   #111
Griff
still says videotape

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Newly elected leader of the U.S. Episcopal Church Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori said on Monday she believed homosexuality was no sin and homosexuals were created by God to love people of the same gender.

I like the direction they're going.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:04 PM   #112
rkzenrage

It is really nice to see someone can at least read... DUH! *bangs head on wall*
Old 06-22-2006, 05:57 PM   #113
BigV
Goon Squad Leader