The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 11-18-2003, 06:53 PM   #106
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Griff's right...he knows his team is just not cutting the mustard this year.

And what's wrong with NASCAR? Good stuff.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 10:27 PM   #107
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
And what's wrong with NASCAR? Good stuff.
How? How is it good stuff? I remember as a child watching a race with a friend's father. The cars went around the track once, I got up ready to leave, but they kept going. I didn't get it. I asked the father what the deal was, and he told me that they go around multiple times. Okay, I said, that's understandable. Simple track like that, couldn't just be once around. How many laps? Three, five, seven?

"Two hundred."

I calmly set down my soda and walked out to play in the sandbox, because even then, at that early an age, I had the common sense to know that if I sat down and watched that race to the finish, I would die.

I really just don't get the fascination with it all. It's like watching a hamster run on its wheel. I could put mutant guinea pigs into go-karts, lock the gas and the wheel, and achieve the same effect.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:59 PM   #108
elSicomoro

I enjoy the excitement, the tension, the fights, the speed...of course, I'm also a fan of golf...
Old 11-18-2003, 11:02 PM   #109
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

...and probably make a million bucks, if you could make the mutant guinea pigs, like, eight feet long, and dress them in little suits with plenty of room for advertising on them.

How do you feel about drag racing? Motocross? Formula One? Lawnmower racing? Snowmobiles trying to cross ponds? Tractor pulls? Mud runs? Hillclimbs?

I like 'em all. Only in America can we have so many versions of the same basic thing, consuming massive amounts of money in the process, and generating still more money in the end.

What's not to like?
Old 11-23-2003, 03:02 AM   #110
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
How do you feel about drag racing?
Now, that's racing. Car-to-car, going from here to there - ONE TIME - pitting what you can do to your machine against what the other guy can do to his. I personally prefer street racing to the regular long, low, lean, triangular cars with the spoilers, but I grew up by Franny Lew, so I'm prejudiced.

Quote:
Motocross?
Meh. I never really got into it. I prefer cars to bikes.

Quote:
Lawnmower racing?
God, I hope you're kidding.

Quote:
Snowmobiles trying to cross ponds?
I feel they should fall in.

Quote:
Tractor pulls? Mud runs? Hillclimbs?
Wow, there's a right nice collection of rednecks.

And in other news - J-Shock may make it for this Monday, next Sunday against Buffalo at the latest. I could see him on the sidelines at the Philly game, just wanting to go to Fassel and say "Look, I'll just rub some dirt on it. Just let me play." Good ol' tough-ass country boy...
Old 11-23-2003, 10:50 AM   #111
elSicomoro

Ya know Chewie, Queens isn't THAT much of a step above the rednecks you encounter in western PA.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:38 PM   #112
Elspode

Chiefs squeaked out another one. The Cardiac Kids ride again.

10-1 is pretty sweet, though. I worry when they have to play someone who doesn't suck. They haven't been all that spiffy lately, and having the Raiders take them down to the last 9 seconds in our own house was pretty scary.

There's a definite change in the gung-ho vibe here in KC since the Bengals took us to the woodshed last week. We're still on a roll, but we haven't had a good, strong, well-rounded game for a few weeks now, and we really need a dominant performance soon to keep the confidence level up.

Still the best record in the NFL, though.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:04 PM   #113
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Ya know Chewie, Queens isn't THAT much of a step above the rednecks you encounter in western PA.
Syc, big mistake - you're lumping Queens together into one classification, and that can't be done. Queens is made up of multiple neighborhoods. I'm from Bayside - so many steps above Western PA, we need portable oxygen. We have sidewalks, intact flat streets, buildings over two stories high...

Now if you're thinking about places like Hollis or Jamaica...well...it's a question of which stereotypes you're comfortable around.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:29 AM   #114
elSicomoro

A possible NFC Championship match up is on tap in St. Louis today, as the Vikings come to town. I dunno though...I think the Vikings are overrated. The Rams should win this one.

Another possible championship match up happens in Charlotte, as the Panthers play the Eagles. But I think the Panthers are overrated too...I'm going with the Eagles.

(For Chewie's benefit, we have the Bills in NJ to play the Giants. Buffalo has a 1-4 record on the road...but the Giants have a 1-4 record at home. I'm going to go with the Giants, but it's gonna be close.)

Looking at this week's schedule, it would seem that the Vikings-Rams and Eagles-Panthers games are the games of the week. Too bad the Rams are on at 1:00 today (same as the Eagles).

Oh...can't forget about the Ravens...they're playing the 49ers in Baltimore today--should be an easy win for the Ravens.

Whoohoo for football!

(edit--I thought the Eagles were playing here in Philadelphia today, but they're not...my bad.)

Last edited by elSicomoro; 11-30-2003 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:29 PM   #115
Elspode

You leave out the NFL's best record from your commentary? Man, what nerve. I think I'll leave The Cellar out of protest.

Oh. Wait. No, I won't.

The Chiefs won again, and again, by a narrow margin to what was supposed to be a massively inferior team. The Cardiac Kids strike again. I wish they'd blow someone out, and soon.

Nevertheless, they are 11-1. This is a good thing. I missed the damn game though, as I was on aircraft all afternoon. Why should it take three stops and a plane change to get to Austin from Kansas City?

Oh well...I had a great time playing with my GPS on the way. Pretty cool to watch it go from zero to 550 mph in about fifteen minutes, and from 600 feet to 35,000 feet.

Next week, I watch the whole game. GO CHIEFS!
Old 11-30-2003, 10:33 PM   #116
elSicomoro

Ep, the Chiefs were left out b/c I believe in them now. Chewie, on the other hand, needs all the help he can get.

Sorry Mike...I really thought the Giants could pull it off today.

Let us now talk about the nice asswhipping that the Rams gave the Vikings. Bulger gave a solid performance that should shut the goddamned chuckleheads in St. Louis up. Marc Bulger will be the starting QB until he seriously melts down. After all, there was a time when another starting QB got hurt. And when he healed, no one seemed to care that the backup stayed in...an unproven QB whose only real claim to fame was the AFL. That year was 1999 and the backup QB was a guy by the name of Kurt Warner.

Bulger is in for the long haul. He too could lead the Rams to greatness. He's 15-3 as a starter. End of story.

Reverend Ike threw a 41 yard pass! 41 yards! It led to a touchdown on the next play!

And what's up with the Ravens having a real offense recently? 44-6?! Amazing.

Eagles/Panthers was a tough defensive battle with solid playing by both McNabb and Del Homme. Eagles pulled it off in the end, but it was close.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:00 PM   #117
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

I'm of the mind that this is a solar-eclipse kind of year in the world of sports. Something's just...off about the whole profession. Consider what we're seeing/have seen this year:

~~~~

The Chicago Cubs and the Boston Red Sox in serious competition for the World Series.

The very real possibility the AFC Championship game may be played out between the Cincinnatti Bengals and the Kansas City Chiefs, with the winner perhaps facing the Carolina Panthers.

The New York Knicks - short Houston and Van Horn, two of their key veteran players - beating a full-strength, Iverson-led Philadelphia 76ers.

~~~~

Something ain't right this year. I don't know what, I don't know why, but something's just not right.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:33 PM   #118
Elspode

I'm sorry, but I have to beg to differ....something is very, very *right* this year!

Fuck dynasties. Fuck threepeats. Fuck giant payrolls. Give me sports, give me competition...give me parity or give me death!

My team is so *due*, it boggles the mind to think about it. There's nothing wrong with this year; it was all those other years that were hosed.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:22 PM   #119
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

BIG GAME THIS WEEKEND

Cowboys at Eagles

anyone else going?????

this one actually means something.....eagles can lock a playoff berth, cowboys can retake the division lead and hold the tie breaker.

my predictions for next season:

Kurt Warner signs with the cowboys.....Cory Dillon or Deuce staley, too. dallas goes 13-3, wins division, plays cincinatti in the bowl. and wins......again
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:11 PM   #120
elSicomoro

Boy, didn't I tell you to put that glue down?

Cowboys are surprising this year, but I think the Eagles can pull it off. Of course, neither can beat the Rams...

Speaking of God's Chosen Team, they play next Monday at Cleveland...*zzzzz*