The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #91
Toymented
Without Explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Yes sir, nothing like a little constructive criticism to smooth the wrinkles. No wonder Spellcheck wanted to change Toymented to Tormented.
I'd take a wild guess that you're an anarchist? What institutions are you rethinking, or just all institutions?
Anarchist? No, way off.

I promote efficiency and benefits in a peaceful package.

As far as institutions, do you have a pet few that are off limits for discussion?
Toymented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:47 PM   #92
Toymented
Without Explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065 View Post
Toy, tell me more about why you think unions are a problem.
'Tis more important for unions to demonstrate their benefit(s). No?
Old 01-14-2007, 05:09 PM   #93
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

They already have, unless all the nations without unions are the ones whose working conditions we want to emulate.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:08 PM   #94
Toymented
Without Explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
They already have, unless all the nations without unions are the ones whose working conditions we want to emulate.
Almost like proving God exists. The burden rests with the believer.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:09 PM   #95
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
UNions are a double edged sword. They protect honest hard workers as well as incompetent malingerers.

In college we had a professor who said a number of times that he hated teaching, he hated the students and he was just marking time until he could retire with full benefits.

Needless to say he was a shitty, has been, who should have been kicked out on his ass a long time before.

Thank unions that we were graced with his presence for years.

No, I don't have an alternate suggestion, but that is one example of what is wrong with unions. I could also tell you about our sadistic first grade teacher who would routinely stab children with pens, pull their hair and make them sit in their seats, not allowing them to go to the bathroom until they wet themselves. Not only should this woman not have been teaching, she should have been beaten on the soles of her feet until her nose bled. But she retired, fully vested and probably got a gold star and a big bouquet of flowers. Fuck the unions, unless you are getting rich off of one.

How does a union worker start a bedtime story for his kids? "once upon a time and a half..."

How can you tell a union workers kid at the playground? He's the one standing around watching the other kids play.

How can you tell if a union worker has died?
The donut falls out if his hand

etc etc
Old 01-14-2007, 07:59 PM   #96
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymented View Post
Almost like proving God exists. The burden rests with the believer.
True. Some people do prefer the working conditions in Malaysia to those in the US. Mostly the factory owners, but they're people, too.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:17 PM   #97
Toymented
Without Explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
True. Some people do prefer the working conditions in Malaysia to those in the US. Mostly the factory owners, but they're people, too.
The UAW and Teamster Leadership should head to Malaysia immediately!
Old 01-14-2007, 08:27 PM   #98
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
I don't need quantified studies to know a class size of 15 is better than 30, because I've had and lived with both.

15 - The teachers answers ever question. By hearing all questions can find out what they're not communicating clearly and change methods.
30 - The teacher will answer 4 or 5 questions and move on. If your question wasn't covered, too bad. ...
Why are your teachers all so incompetent? My best classes were the larger ones - 30. And those teachers never had problem answering all questions. But then xoxoxoBruce cites speculations as facts. Where xoxoxoBruce do you post by citing facts? Your numbers are classic speculation.

Some of my worst classes were 3, 5 and 10 students. That fact trumps speculation that xoxoxoBruce has posted. To make a point, xoxoxoBruce, instead, must provide peer reviewed studies. He does not. In fact this discussion automatically assumed private school education is superior - twisting the same speculation into a fact.

Meanwhile, xoxoxoBruces numbers are wrong. Replace 400 with 30; appreciate his typographical error. Yes, xoxoxoBruce, anyone can just arbitrarily post numbers as facts. Meanwhile, xoxoxoBruce’s conclusion – all classes should be reduced to one student – He fogets to mention that fact from *his sources*. But I mock.

There is no proof that classes of 15 means a superior education. There are studies that contradict - a wash. Most glaring assumption from that same spin - that private schools are superior education. Why would a teacher not be able to serve 30 students? 85% of all problems are directly traceable to the top person. During the baby boom, education was superior when class sizes were frequently 30 students.

Again, there are times when a smaller class size is necessary - ie autism. So that proves all large classes do not provide superior education? Nonsense.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:35 PM   #99
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Fuck you and your peer reviewed studies. I LIVED it. :p
Old 01-14-2007, 09:19 PM   #100
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Fuck you and your peer reviewed studies. I LIVED it. :p
Again, Bruce posts anectdotal evidence as facts. How do you know you lived it? More speculation presented as fact by xoxoxoBruce in the Cellar on the Internet in the Universe.

Unless you can prove that you weren't in the Matrix then I dismiss your experience as emotion wrapped in enigma surrounded by speculation under cover of fact. Same as top management at GM.

And if you didn't live it then it wouldn't be true? More speculation. At GM they speculated a lot. So does our mental midget president. He went to a school with small classes. In the Matrix.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:24 PM   #101
rkzenrage

When I was supposed to be teaching science they wanted me to spend most of my time teaching kids hygiene and how to use forks and knives...
We are not parents and NEVER should be confused for them.
A science teacher is a science teacher is a science teacher... you cannot grade lectures on deodorant. It was BS.
I loved teaching college.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:05 PM   #102
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Some of my worst classes were 3, 5 and 10 students.
That is because the smaller the class size the more obvious a buffoon you are. My goodness, but you have got be the reigning champion for pompous asses. Thankfully only you think you know everything. Try not talking down to everyone else and perhaps your occasionally valid point or thought might, just might, be well received.

Oh and leave Bruce alone or I'll send UG over to rip your intestines out your ass and strangle you with them.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:08 AM   #103
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
I simply don't trust religious-based schools to value the teaching of the child over indoctrination into the religion and brainwashing.
I went to a Catholic school from the age of 5-12 and I received a wonderful education. We even started sex education in the final year - something that some secondary schools (13-16) weren't including as anything other than biology at the time.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:35 AM   #104
Ibby
erika

I'm not saying ALL are, I'm just saying that I don't trust them. Especially after Hong Kong International School, where I went for third grade.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:14 AM   #105
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
I'm not saying ALL are, I'm just saying that I don't trust them. Especially after Hong Kong International School, where I went for third grade.
Fair enough. I accept the "indoctrination" part anyway - I was raised in a Catholic family, went to Mass every Sunday (and Holy Day of Obligation) and my parents moved into their house specifically to be close to a school which would educate us in the Catholic faith as well as getting a good education.