The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-29-2006, 06:38 PM   #91
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I wasn't suggesting they do.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:40 PM   #92
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

True enough orthodoc, but I also think Ali had a point about 9th. My guess is, with his attitude to screaming, he hasn't experienced pain bad enough to warrant it.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:41 PM   #93
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha
What's the definition of reality? Something that is real. But from what perspective?

How do you prounounce the word for the car Jaguar? What's the reality? What do you think is a good education? Yr 10? Yr 12? Finishing University? Exactly whose perspective are we talking about?
From the perspective of the desired result.

We can talk about perspectives and feelings all day, and while we do, reality is going on around us.
Pointing your perspective at reality does nothing to affect it. Actions affect reality. Actions have positive and negative consequences - and that is reality.

It doesn't matter what your perspective is on how long is long enough when brushing your teeth. The reality of it is, if you don't get all the crap off of them, you're gonna get cavitites.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:43 PM   #94
Aliantha

So by that logic, you're not educated till you've been to university, completed a Phd and are still studying, because no one on this earth knows everything, but until you do, you're not educated.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:45 PM   #95
jinx
Come on, cat.

Nope, not even close. Wanna try again, or shall I?
Old 11-29-2006, 06:47 PM   #96
DanaC

Quote:
The reality of it is, if you don't get all the crap off of them, you're gonna get cavitites.

Or not. I know a lad, who cleans his teeth once in a blue moon and rarely goes to the dentist (like twice in about four years!)and never, ever gets toothache. last time he went to the dentist he only needed one filling.......I on the other hand, go to the fecking dentist every six months, clean my teeth two-three times a day and somehow need constant fecking work doing. In the last two years I've had fillings, root canals, caps and porcelain veneers.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:47 PM   #97
Aliantha

That wont be necessary. Your argument is the same as rkz's and he hasn't convinced me he's right so it's probably a case of never the twain shall meet on this issue.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:49 PM   #98
DanaC

If rkzenrage isn't able to convince someone then I seriously doubt jinx, can:P
Old 11-29-2006, 06:49 PM   #99
Aliantha

Just to get back to the original topic of the thread. Those of you who are arguing against the point myself a few others have tried to make, support the huge earnings of the top few executives? Yes? They must have earned it after all right? The deserve to work as hard as you and earn a million times more right?
Old 11-29-2006, 06:50 PM   #100
Aliantha

Oh I don't know about that Dana. I reckon Jinx probably has a few cards rkz hasn't played, but they're from the same deck, so unlikely to help too much. That's all I meant.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:51 PM   #101
DanaC

Don't forget Ali.....in America, anybody might get into the top-earning bracket. The fact that so very very few ever do, doesn't stop people wanting to defend their right to be there.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:55 PM   #102
Aliantha

Dana, I think if people make it there good for them, although I totally disagree with the actual real amount of money they get paid. I don't think they deserve that amount. I don't think anyone does. They certainly can't need that much when others work their fingers to the bone and still can't make ends meet. There are similar situations here in Australia and I object to it happening here too...hence my argument.

The issue of social capital is important to me because I see evidence of brilliant kids all the time, but they're left to squander their talent because their parents fail to see how they can be supported through to a better life.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:57 PM   #103
rkzenrage

So, let me get this straight.... if someone is rich, they should have to pay more for being so?
Poor people have more value or are more "right" somehow, so we tax them less per-capita because we are going to assume that they earned more of their income legitimately?
Old 11-29-2006, 06:57 PM   #104
DanaC

This is a problem I well understand Ali. The ward I represent is full of children whose expectations in life are tragically low....their family's expectations for them are likewise low....I also know people who've done very well for themselves and yet are patently thick as pigshit....go figure.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:00 PM   #105
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer
Experiences may be subjective, but that lays the best argument for saying that the individual is eventually the one in control. Pain is pain, we all suffer it, just in different fashions. However if you were to suffer a specific injury, lets say a broken arm, the pain itself is not what is subjective. The difference between the person quietly suffering and waiting for treatment and the person screaming as if being filleted alive is not the actual level of pain they experience, but how they choose to react to it. The one in control can understand that imparting their misery onto everyone else will not make the pain go away any faster, the screamer feels that the fact that they are experiencing pain lifts all other responsibilities from their shoulders.
More to the point, a wealthy person probably will get better care for his broken arm than a poor person. That's what this is about. The wealthy get better teachers, better healthcare, nutrition, dentistry, haircuts, skin cream, therapy, tutoring, professionally written resumes, etc. It all goes to why they have an advantage over those who are not as wealthy. No matter how hard a poor person tries, the wealthy person has the edge. Let's face it - it's wealthy people typically who do the hiring. People will typically hire people who are like themselves - it's human nature.