The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-25-2006, 09:35 AM   #91
Flint
Snowflake

Obsession on the sexual act is the fault of the obsessor.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:47 AM   #92
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordon
Just because you can use what you learned on the High School debate team to prove that your clit is a dick, doesn't make it true, even if it makes you smug in your delusion.
"Ad hominem"....see fallacies page.

I see no point in trying to engage you in "debate" you any further, because you clearly have no intention of debating. That's probably a wise move on your part, since your debate isn't even up to high school quality.

As for "smug", that's a pretty comical accusation coming from you, given that your basic theory seems to be "I'm right, why can't you see that?"

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:56 AM   #93
Ibby
erika

Others beat me to it, but I'm going to say it anyway:

Seven. Year. Olds. Don't. Need. To. Know. About. Heterosexuals. Any. More. Than. They. Do. Homosexuals.

15-year-olds don't need to know that the volume of a right pyramid is 1/3Bh but they teach it anyway. Because it is good to know, because it is true, and because ignorance has killed more people than anything else. Okay, maybe not knowing how to find the volume of a pyramid won't kill you, but not being taught that homosexuals (or people of any other sexual orientation) are people too, that they are no different than anyone else in any other respect, that they are just as 'normal' as any other person on the planet CAN get someone killed.
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:17 AM   #94
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Since this is my first post here, I'll probably be called a troll . But I've been enjoying reading everything on this site and this topic is the first one that is compelling me to respond.

First, a little about me. I am a heterosexual and mother of three children. These children attend public schools. I attended private and public schools as a child. I despise bigotry, because it teaches intolerance and hatred. Anyone that is 'different' is ostracised and feared when bigotry is in play. Children need to be taught that different is not WRONG, its just different.

I agree with the Lexington School systems decision. Educating your children about the different kind of people, cultures, and religions in the world will not harm them or cause them to become 'gay'.

Did you know that it is estimated that five percent to nine percent of all children currently in school will grow up to identify as gay, lesbian, or bisexual? There is also an increasing number of children of gay and lesbian parents in school. It is estimated that six percent to 11 percent of schoolchildren have a gay or lesbian parent or sibling.

Is age seven too young? Is any child too young to learn consideration and tolerance? It's certainly not too young for them to learn discrimination, prejudice and violence!! Very young children already have heard many things about gay men and lesbians. Negative name-calling begins as early as first grade, and even though these children may not yet understand what it means to be gay or lesbian, they know that using these words is a way to put someone down. Schools aren’t introducing these topics. Rather, they are addressing a topic young children are increasingly familiar with and creating a safe environment for children to ask questions, receive information and learn more about the different types of people that they will encounter throughout their lives.

Of COURSE it’s not appropriate for schools to teach young children about sex. But learning about gay men and lesbians isn’t the same thing as learning about gay sex. In school, children learn about mommies and daddies, families and marriage without talking about sex. In the same way, children can learn that there are gay and lesbian people, and can be taught about the literature they have written, the families they have formed, and the gay and lesbian civil rights issues that are part of the current political debate.

If your religion is against homosexuality, then teach them that at home and in church. Keep your religious beliefs out of the school system my taxes pay for. There is an excellent reason for the separation of church and state in the US. Not everyone agrees about homosexuality. But schools are obliged to create a safe environment and to show respect for all students, including students who are gay or lesbian and students who may have parents or siblings who are gay or lesbian.

Providing children with information and a forum for discussion doesn’t “make” anyone gay. If that were true, then most children who grow up with gay or lesbian parents would turn out to be gay, but they don’t. Most grow up to be heterosexual. According to studies by groups such as the Child Welfare League of America and the American Psychological Association, teaching children about gay issues won't “make” them gay, but it might make them less likely to insult someone they think is gay or to allow a friend to be ostracized for having a lesbian mom or a gay dad. And unless you are a prejudiced bigot and teaching your children to be bigots, you won't want them to learn to treat their fellow citizens with anything less than common courtesy and decency.

To prevent violence, it is critical that teachers and parents teach respect for all members of our communities. And that is impossible to do if we pretend an entire segment of the community doesn't exist.

My children know that there are 'families' of all kinds. Traditional, step-families, blended families, extended families, single parent families, adoptive families, foster families and OMG!! even some with same-sex parents.

And thats ok.

Stormie
Stormieweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:21 AM   #95
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormieweather
And thats ok.

Stormie
And so are you.

Welcome to the Cellar.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #96
jaguar
whig

Quote:
The only thing agape in your life is your cavernous anus, and the detritus is soiling your posts.
That's some simple. human. decency. right there ain't it?

Where did sex come into it? Some men like men, most men like women, most women like men but some women like women, it is that scary?

What are you going to tell your kids if they see two men kissing in the street? Or are you going to go up and abuse them for defiling your children instead?
Old 04-25-2006, 10:50 AM   #97
twentycentshift
change three times

it looks like no one is promoting anything. its a book that simply describes something that exists.

why are so many people afraid of the truth? i say, if you don't want this book read to your child, or this concept known to your child, consider home-schooling, or educate your child in a private, christian school. that way they can be as closed off to the truth as you want them to be.

it exists, and ignoring it, or hating it won't make it go away. don't you want to be accepted and even loved? give that same to others. its what the bible tells you to do, and my guess is the people who are against this book being read, claim to be christians.
twentycentshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:21 AM   #98
Jordon
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
My daughter just thinks her friend has two moms.
Now who's telling fairy tales? The reality is that a child only has one mother and one father. Anything else is revisionist biology or a quaint lie.
Jordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:25 AM   #99
Jordon
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentycentshift
it looks like no one is promoting anything. its a book that simply describes something that exists.

why are so many people afraid of the truth? i say, if you don't want this book read to your child, or this concept known to your child, consider home-schooling, or educate your child in a private, christian school. that way they can be as closed off to the truth as you want them to be.

it exists, and ignoring it, or hating it won't make it go away. don't you want to be accepted and even loved? give that same to others. its what the bible tells you to do, and my guess is the people who are against this book being read, claim to be christians.
For the record, I'm Pagan; but it's pretting damning that you immediately assume that I'm a Christian because it fits your prejudice. Who's the bigot now?
Jordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:35 AM   #100
twentycentshift
change three times

jordon, i was not refering to you at all. i was speaking about the parents at the school, sort of generalizing and getting "preachy" about those judgmental types, which may be a fault of mine. but i can't resist. they really ask for it, most of them.

you almost sound a little paranoid there jordon.

don't worry buddy. i wasn't attacking you. its all good.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:35 AM   #101
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Quote:
Now who's telling fairy tales? The reality is that a child only has one mother and one father. Anything else is revisionist biology or a quaint lie.

Biology does not make a "parent" any more than donating sperm or an egg makes one part of a "family".
Stormieweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:38 AM   #102
twentycentshift
change three times

right on stormie.

i like the things you've been saying here.......
Old 04-25-2006, 11:41 AM   #103
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
There are moms and dads, and there are biological parents. Biological parents are a male-female pair. For moms and dads, there could be two moms, a a mom and a dad, or two dads, and zero, one, or two of them could also be biological parents.

Mom and Dad being biological parents is the easiest and most common route, but it's not the only one.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:53 AM   #104
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Let's get back to the issue.

Several parents are upset because the school curriculum apparently includes books (plural, this isn't the first time this happened) regarding homosexuality. These books are written for an elementary school grade level.

These parents are upset, regardless of YOUR PERSONAL OPINION on the issue, because THEIR children were exposed to material that THEY AS PARENTS OF THEIR CHILDREN consider inappropriate.

The parents want to be informed when the teacher is going to read inappropriate (to them) material, so they can remove their child from class.

I don't feel that ANY sexuality needs to be taught in elementary school. I have not read the book, so I don't know what it says. But if my 9 year old came home and told me that they read a book about two daddies, or two mommies, I'd be justifiably concerned about the curriculum. I don't mind, as a parent, if a book like that is available in the library, and my child checks that book out on her own, but I DO have a problem with my child effectively being forced to listen to what I consider inappropriate material.

(rhetorical question)
Why is it ok to read a book about homosexuality to 7 year olds in school, but read a book to the same kids in the same school about Jesus and that's an OUTRAGE!!!
(/rhetorical question)

For those who say "If you don't like it, put your child into private school", have you looked at the prices of private school? The CHEAPEST private school here (which is founded from a local Christian Church) is $300 per month, YEAR ROUND. Now, not only do I have to pay that, but I STILL HAVE TO PAY FOR PUBLIC SCHOOL INSTRUCTION, because I don't have an option to not pay taxes.

So since I'm paying for it either way, my public schools should reflect the values of my community, which should be enforced by the elected Board of Education.

(By the way..there is a lawsuit against my local Board of Education pending, and if you think any of them are getting relected this year, think again, because the parents are PISSED.)

If Susie lives with two daddies and Todd lives with two mommies and Jamal lives with a traditional set of parents, that knowledge and discussion is perfectly acceptable at their ages, in the course of normal social interaction.

Homosexualiy DOES exist, it IS part of the world. But does NOT make that subject matter appropriate for a CAPTIVE audience of 7 year olds, any more than terrorist activities or discussion of the Holocaust is appropriate for that age group.

(BTW, It is Holocaust Remembrance Day today. Go hug a Jew.)

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:06 PM   #105
twentycentshift
change three times

wow...... kinda wordy......

teach the truth, and let the chips fall where they may.

public schools cannot give preference to any religion. this is not a theocracy. don't like it. move to theocracy, like iraq, or afghanistan.

get over it, and just let people be themsleves. love them. god will do the judging, not us.