The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #91
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I'm completely lost. and I kind of love it.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #92
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Hey! (yells to Bri) Over here! (waves hand)
Old 06-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #93
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Bruce, that picture is awesome. I think I'm going to start telling people that.

"Fuck you. I'm an anteater."
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #94
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Hey! (yells to Bri) Over here! (waves hand)
I only got drips and drabs of this whole tempest. I am an island unto myself even on a board of islanders. If this place was Gilligan's Island, I'd be on the Other Side of the Island - with the cannibals.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #95
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
~snip~We must face it, we're a bunch of goddamn pussies.
I like to think of us as a "kinder, gentler" forum. A thousand points of contention, and all that.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:29 AM   #96
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Anyway, the original Modest Proposal is about eating children.
Y'all should be relieved we stuck at porridge.
Yes, I was tempted to make that connection.. I thought it might improve the tone of the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
We must face it, we're a bunch of goddamn pussies.
I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion, but granting it for the sake of argument, I don't believe your statement is true. By the very nature of pussy-tude, pussies can never actually face the fact that they're pussies. That would be a very difficult and self-critical thing to do. I submit that, by its nature, such a realization is un-pussy-ish. If we are a bunch of pussies, the last thing we will do is face that fact.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #97
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

We have some Dwellars whose origins I have never determined who have a far brasher and ruder style than I am comfortable with. But are deemed acceptable and even amusing.

I feared Tiki was going to be one of them.
I was selfishly and sneakily relieved when other people noticed too (I had her pegged when she dissed UT).

Then again, I don't even see the Cellar as my local neighbourhood bar.
I see it as my local Englisshe Tea Shoppe, all cream scones and strychnine in the jam and don't trust the natives or startle the horses.
Tea and shibboleths, anyone?
Beneath this liberal exterior beats the heart of a true daughter of the Empire, xenophobic and reactionary and no that's not raspberry sorbet I really do have blood on my chin...

Just sayin'
Just because I'm nominally polite, does not make me a pussy.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #98
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

It isn't about feeling all hurt and wounded Toad. It's about not wanting someone smearing shit on the walls or rolling in drunk and picking fights with the locals. Sure, we can handle it if we have to. But we don't necessarily want to.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #99
Kaliayev
Magnificent Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
FWIW...how do you guys read anything over there? I wanted to actually participate in the forum, give it a shot (I was not a Safari participant) but I can't tell posts from outside quotes from user titles from advertisements (of little boy computer games) from user quotes from pics from animated GIFs. It's really confusing. What was funny was that I read that the cellar has no substance, because we often link to websites as citation or out of interest, or something to that effect. HA! We don't need all the little fillers that are distracting from the words.

But, YMMV.
Well it might depend what browser you are using, in part, as well as the forum skin. I use Firefox, with the forum default. But usually, the quotes are in the shaded blue boxes. Most people post a link first, then a quote and then a comment if its an outside article. The accounts are pretty customizable and signatures are whatever is below the dull grey line you see in someone's post.

Its well worth checking out the skins, to see which one works for you. I find the default one works quite nicely, but others prefer the darker screen version or the YaBB one. Its a matter of personal taste, ultimately.
Kaliayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #100
Kaliayev
Magnificent Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Your boy came over here indicating/hinting that he has posted here in the past. Probably under another name. Would anyone here be surprised? Absolutely not.
Well he's only my boy by association, and even then I wish that wasn't the case right now.

If he was here under a past name, you could probably ask Undertoad or the mods to run an IP/hostname check to be sure. AFAIK he isn't especially net savvy, so chances are if he was here before, it wasn't using a proxy.

I have no indication to suggest he has been, other than your suspicions. If I did, I'd offer it, but everything he has said, your quoted segment aside, has suggested to me this is his first time here.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #101
Shawnee123

I haven't messed with it much, I'll admit.

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #102
Kaliayev
Magnificent Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Yeah, while reading this last night I wondered who this "new" dwellar actually is, in Cellar terms.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark, if'n you axe me.
Its all that funny cheese they eat. Horrible stuff.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #103
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliayev View Post
Well he's only my boy by association, and even then I wish that wasn't the case right now.

If he was here under a past name, you could probably ask Undertoad or the mods to run an IP/hostname check to be sure. AFAIK he isn't especially net savvy, so chances are if he was here before, it wasn't using a proxy.

I have no indication to suggest he has been, other than your suspicions. If I did, I'd offer it, but everything he has said, your quoted segment aside, has suggested to me this is his first time here.
I read a comment (at PD) regarding that user (too lazy to look up right now, Applesasselfassel or whatever) and someone at PD was saying he had the same IP as someone from the Cellar who was previously Red Shirt Reilly on PD.

Just puttin' some info out there, my investigation had been cursory, and out of curiosity. I wouldn't know how to find an IP address if it bit me on the leg.

I would, however, be interested in who the big fat liar is. I hate liars. Pet peeve of mine. Sure would want to know WHO ELSE not to trust.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #104
Kaliayev
Magnificent Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
You and that asshole can certainly go back to where you came from and quit trying to stir up shit here. We can do that on our own quite nicely. Or you can hang out and post with the rest of us.
If I was stirring shit here, let me assure you that you, everyone else on this board, and probably people within a five mile vicinity of every poster here would be aware of it. Its a talent.

I also don't respond well to demands, especially of the either/or variety. I'll post here as and when I like, on the topics I like and you, unfortunately, will have no bearing on how I decide to do that.

Sorry. Well, I'm not really, but you know, politeness and all that.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #105
Kaliayev
Magnificent Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
and you know about my continual goading of tiki because that's what she told you I did? or did you actually witness the continual goading?
There's a wonderful thing called a search function, which allows you to go through an indviduals posts. I coupled it with my ability to read.

Strange, but then I can be like that.