The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 06-09-2009, 02:29 AM   #91
diminished
Why Aye,Man!

My plans have backfired badly.

Tonight in Hays,Kansas,we've conflicted badly.Booze has brought out several conflicts in our relationship.I was asked why I looked so serious,to which I replied 'I feel a bit of a fat bugger'.I got the response 'Oh well.At least you're not immensely fat.'.

Matters have deteriorated from this point.

I answered said point to be be greeted with the reply 'Excuse me?',which was repeated after I asked if she (Persistence) was either rude or deaf.

Travelling together is something of a journey in itself,I guess.And this after I was enjoying Kansas a lot.We journeyed to northern mid-Kansas today,and you know what?Almost everyone on the road waved at us.Such politeness is unheard of where I come from,and I returned it enthusiastically.

But at Hays,we've hit something of a bump in the road,and tomorrow,I fear for the communication in the car.We've had to adapt to communicating for practical purposes over the last month,but tonights exchanges have highlighted differences in viewpoints.I can only hope that Kansas,or what remains of it,soothes or differences before we hit Colorado.
They [Young People] have exalted notions, because they have not been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations; moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things.They would always rather do noble deeds than useful ones: Their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning ...They overdo everything - they love too much, hate too much, and the same with everything else.
Aristotle circa 350 BC
diminished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:47 AM   #92
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh yeah, that shit happens traveling in close quarters for extended periods.
On the up side, the make up sex is great.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:11 AM   #93
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Ahh, road trip cabin fever.

Can you go separate ways for a day or two? Just be yourselves, and hook up again soon. Even if you just stay in separate hotels/hostels/spas/brothels, the break might be what you need.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:32 AM   #94
diminished
Why Aye,Man!

Woot!
Cheers for that,Bruce.I know it'll happen.Its just great to ride teh wild turkeh train until that occurs.
It satisfies my Brit sense of pertpetual (lesser) tension,until it happens.
But as British,we both have to have a sense of 'Eventuall Failure of Empire' until it occurs.(Damn you,you've condemned me to another drink before I retreat bedwards).
As Brits,we now possess a perpetual sensation of 'The Retreat of Empire.'.Its no bad thing,as the current richest nation on Earth,you too will experience the cost of maintaining an Empire,it doesnt come cheap (in blood or money-imperialism's days have come and gone.).
If this looks like a cheap shot at what America has accomplished,you're wrong.I admire what you stand for,and your principles,I despise the popularist competition your political parties have made of it.
Its the competition that still ensues that whcih has caused us to visit you...

As far as 'Forms of Government' goes,even Winston Churchilll said that Democracy is the worst form of Government.
Democracy ensures that almost nothing worthwhile is ever achieved,for long.

I dont look for critique upon this viewpoint.Its 'un-marketable' as far as moderm media is concerned,which ,if you accept that,makes tyranny almost acceptable.Its the changeable nature of 'democracy' that makes it ultimately a poor choice.A continual thread of change or effort is needed.

Must retreat to bed now,as I'm too drunk (in a British style) to draw conclusions from my rantishness,and objectionality.
Good Night,and God Bless.xxxx
Diminish3d
They [Young People] have exalted notions, because they have not been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations; moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things.They would always rather do noble deeds than useful ones: Their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning ...They overdo everything - they love too much, hate too much, and the same with everything else.
Aristotle circa 350 BC
diminished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:35 AM   #95
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

The complete quote is
Quote:
Winston Churchilll said that "Democracy is the worst form of Government.
... except for all the other forms that have been tried through history."
Old 06-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #96
monster
I hear them call the tide

How's the hangover, Dim? seems like you might need to learn to drive ....and fast Seriously though, find a lake/river somewhere nearby and just chill for a while The oppressive heat gets us all that way. if you live there you get to turn a special kind of crazy. That's why they're all so so inbred there, no-one will have them but their own kin
Old 06-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #97
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Hey Dim - Why don't you and she come stop by "my" lake when you cross the CO border - It's big enough you can sit on one side, she on the other, and when you decide you've had enough time apart, come on over to my house for fish tacos, a beer or a margarita (or three) and directions to the Swettsville Junk Museum.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #98
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

He must have one of those hangovers that makes you feel like a chitlin with the shit slung out of it.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #99
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
hey yo, dwellars, these people are cool... if anyone can see their way to offering them a bed for the night, I'm pretty sure they won't steal the family cat and they'd have more $$ to experience the real weirdness that you Merkins have managed to throw together. or if not a bed, then at least a meal with veggies. I think they've had three vitamins between them since they landed -two when they can to see us and one by accident in a McDonald's salad for which the manager heartily apologised......
We're in Kansas City. We have a busy month, but do give a call if you need a flop for a night or two. 816-808-3226. We have a large backyard suitable for camping, indoor accomodations can be made, and the camper can be set up, so you have options. :-) KC has an art gallery that should not be missed - The Nelson Adkins Museum. Probably the finest Oriental collection in the nation, as well as a generous helping of Thomas Hart Benton and an impressive Modern Art and Impressionists collection. Located in a great part of town as well. Truman Presidential Museum is in a suburb of KC and is totally awesome, especially if you are a student of WWII and the immediate post war years.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:15 AM   #100
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

List of 12 food festivals.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #101
monster
I hear them call the tide

I'm a bit worried about them... not a peep for days....
Old 06-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #102
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

...and they prolly won't be available until next Easter season.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:25 AM   #103
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Long make-up sex.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #104
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I hope they come back soon, I love this thread and their stories!
Old 06-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #105
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I wonder if Persistence is peeved that diminished chose to include their personal friction in this thread? I believe it was mentioned earlier that friends and family back home were following along.

Cheers folks , it's that American water, there's something in it that makes people drinking it get rebellious with Brits. Why we sometimes even say naughty things about the Queen's Swans.

I know from personal experience, being with only one person 24/7, on road trips of 6 to 10 thousand miles, will usually lead to some friction along the way. So there's a little flare up and it blows over quickly, that's cool. Part of the bonding process that makes road trips so memorable.