The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

View Poll Results: Is Ouija suitable for 11-year olds?
NO WAY, nuh-huh, absolutely NOT 11 33.33%
Not really, but..... 2 6.06%
Meh 5 15.15%
It's okay, but..... 3 9.09%
YES, it's perfect for that purpose 12 36.36%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2008, 02:47 AM   #91
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

The really cool aspect of stuff like the ouija board, regardless of your beliefs of what may or may not really exist, is that it opens up your imagination. And that is just as important as thinking logically, if not more so.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:31 AM   #92
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The right answer is to play the game with the kids and ask the Ouija board what it thinks of itself. And direct the answer.

B - U - L - L - S - H - I - T
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:36 AM   #93
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

That's no fun.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:12 AM   #94
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddit View Post
Suitable entertainment for 11 year old girls is hanging out, trying makeup for the first time, having slumber parties and all that general 'developing relationships' thing.
As somone currently looking closely at historical gender constructions, I find that a fascinating sentence.

*smiles* welcome to the Cellar, Goddit! Nice to meet you
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #95
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruminator View Post
Although many here are atheists, there are also people here of different spiritual beliefs including witchcraft of probably different branches and schools. I know some into magic who are into the real serious stuff, and its not always just a bunch of rainbows and unicorns.

I would like to hear from them what they think any actual spiritual potential is from a Ouija board.
Good question. Good point. I'd like to know too although I imagine them along with me are sitting on their principles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
I thought it was only for 11 year olds. I guess I need to go back and read the rules.

good point and a funny as heck one too!
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #96
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
I don't think the average gaggle of 11 year old girls, or group of anybody, really, would be successful in contacting them through a bit of cardboard and plastic, but the tiny possibility still freaks me out.

So, no.
Likewise, one should never step on cracks, for the protection of maternal spines.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #97
Cloud

oh, absolutely!
Old 12-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #98
Ruminator
Ohio fisherman

Thumbs up

Monster, it wasn't for not at at all.

I very much enjoyed this mature adult discussion in all of its many nuances.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The rest of this is not directed toward anyone in particular.

Quote:
I thought it was only for 11 year olds.
Apparently not, there are apparently many adults using this "piece of cardboard" for ver real, and serious spiritual purposes.
I found these statements at Amazon.com.

Quote:
author J. Edward Cornelius briefly discussed infamous occultist Aleister Crowley as well as shared information about the ouija board. Cornelius described Crowley as a brilliant but misunderstood magician, who believed the ouija board was probably "the most dangerous implement ever given into the hands of humanity."
According to Cornelius, the ouija board opens up portals to neutral entities called elementals. These entities work through the board to fulfill the desires (evil or good) of the people playing it, he explained. Cornelius also pointed out that the ouija board can open up a portal in each individual who uses it. After a while the person may no longer need the board to make contact with spirits, he said.
- Aleister Crowley no less!

Quote:
It is appropriate that an important contribution to occult literature is to be found in a slim volume with an unassuming and quirky title.

The author presents sufficient theory and practice that will allow even a neophyte to access in a reasonably safe and suprisingly convenient manner the astral realms. Quite an accomplishment. But this is by no means only a book for beginners. Advanced practitioners (assuming they have an open mind) will find a great deal to ponder and benefit from in this volume. Anyone serious about magickal practice or even just magickal theory should acquire this book and consider its contents carefully. They will be well repaid for their efforts.

Aleister Crowley was the baddest of bad boys. He made great advancements in the magickal realm while sending shock waves through the clubby and largely ineffectual grade system of traditional occult fraternities, It is no small irony that the magickal orders that profess to be Thelemic are as full of pretentious poseurs as those that Crowley blasted with his extraordinary talent and application. I suspect that his book will not be well liked by those in authority in Crowleyian magickal orders. The author reveals too many secrets for comfort. I believe Crowley would have approved of this book that captures the spirit of authentic Thelemic magickal theory and practice.
This is an example of posts made about books relating to Ouija boards by practitioners of Ouija.

My points are twofold, one, that we when faced with a situation of which we know little should possibly lend an open ear to those who may be better informed.
Secondly, simply because we don't think something is true, or real; doesn't automatically it so.

Belittling something can make us feel more comfortable, safe, and secure; but are we actually?

The longer I live, the more I realize there is much that exists that I know little or nothing about.

"People never give each other enough credit for their contributions." ... a truer statement was never made.
- contributed by TheMercenary

Last edited by Ruminator; 12-14-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Ruminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #99
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

I think you said it much better than I could, Ruminator. My aversion to Ouija ("spirit") boards comes from personal experience, and I have had a longtime interest in the paranormal, but wish to remain merely an observer. But I'm curious - so I asked Dave Considine about them. His reasons and recommendations against them was good enough for me. I believe they can be dangerous. Not are, but can be. And I've had a sense of that danger. No thanks. For some of us, the unseen world is just unseen. Maybe there's a difference between people's sensitivities?
Old 12-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #100
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
I thought it was only for 11 year olds. I guess I need to go back and read the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe
good point and a funny as heck one too!

Meaning funny as in ironic since the target age is 8 to 11. I am not sure how fun 'pretending' to conjour up spirits is suppose to be. What if on the off chance something did happen?

Maybe Christains are right and maybe practicing witches are right. Maybe to this they would both agree.

I still think Wolf's idea of Apples to Apples sounds like alot more fun. * sigh * deprived child
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #101
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

"I can call spirits from the vasty deep!"

"So can I, so can any man; but will they come when called?"
Old 12-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #102
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

This thread leaves me speechless.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:12 PM   #103
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
"I can call spirits from the vasty deep!"

"So can I, so can any man; but will they come when called?"
I can call spirits from the vasty deep!
But it has more effect when I ask the barkeep.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:16 PM   #104
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
This thread leaves me speechless.
I'll consult my Ouija board to see what you should be saying.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #105
monster
I hear them call the tide