The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-16-2007, 05:02 PM   #91
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

My roommate was watching 'Good Morning America' and Diane Stoyer or whatever her name is went to Iran and made a huge idiot out of herself. There were anti-US and anti-Bush protests and she would go up to them and pretend to be really confused as they treated her with respect. "They are shouting 'Die America' and then they help me with my head covering, I don't get". Stupid...
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:12 AM   #92
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Where are you people getting that Iranians hate the US?
Everything that I have seen and read states that the average Iranian likes the US. It is only the hard-liners and a small minority that dislikes the West. They happen to be in control of the government, but that is not representative of the average Iranian, not by a long-shot.
What are you basing this on? Polls? As I pointed out to tw, Giuliani is currently leading the polls on who will win the Republican ticket, but who really believes that he will? My guess is that he will not even make the convention next year, let alone be the GOP candidate. Most people in third-world countries (such as Iran and Pakistan), would die to live in the West (the USA is no. 1 choice). If they are asked if they hate the US, they are going to answer no. What idiot would risk jeopardising their chances of emigrating from their third-world homeland to the US, by answering yes? The affirmative answer is only given by the hard-liners.

I do *not* want these countries to hate the USA or the West. I *want* them to see us as friends, but I also realise that if I had had family killed in a bloody war, supported in part by the West, I would have some feelings about this. Also, the regular mosque attendees are being brainwashed by religious fanatics, that the West, headed by the US, is evil. I know that the majority of the congregation will not absorb this nonsense, but some will, and do - otherwise we would not have terrorists, and suicide bombers.

I do not want war. I love peace. I love Australia, and I even love the USA. Next to my home, and a great fishing/holiday location up the coast from where I live, I love New York and most things American.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:29 PM   #93
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
If the average Pakistani is brainwashed, then he is brainwashed with diatribes from his dictatorship government. Why then is Pakistani opinion contrary to what his government says?
~ snip I highly doubt the poll takers go anywhere near the western provinces, controlled by the taliban, where westerners are forbidden and government representatives walk on eggs.
Or in the poppy fields.

Polls must be taken with a grain of salt until the actual methodology, both theory and actually used, is known.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:55 PM   #94
rkzenrage

I have read about this in the paper, seen reporters that have gone into the nation, all parts and read articles on it.
It is common knowledge.
Where are you getting your information that we are commonly hated among Iranians?
This is the first I have heard it.
Polls are for plebs & Iranians don't trust their government.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:35 AM   #95
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Uh.... why don't we ask the Cellar Dwellar who actually traveled to north western Pakistan and met the people there, what they think of Americans?

http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=8198

"...it's a fascinating place to visit and they treat white Americans like no less than rock stars."
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #96
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
~ snip I highly doubt the poll takers go anywhere near the western provinces, controlled by the taliban, where westerners are forbidden and government representatives walk on eggs. ...

Polls must be taken with a grain of salt until the actual methodology, both theory and actually used, is known.
If polls did include those regions where even the Pakistani army does not tread, then 'American unfavorable' numbers (some of the highest in the world) would be even higher.

International reporters are not restricted in Iran as in Pakistan. Those numbers clearly demonstrate that Iranians are not as 'American unfavorable' as in Pakistan.

Meanwhile, bluesdave, where are your facts that say Iranians nearly 100% hate Americans? Disparage the only facts we have; and that is proof that all Iranians viciously hate Americans? Where are reports after studies? Reports and studies repeatedly say otherwise. Repeatedly from different sources say same thing. One can disparage all polls. But all polls by professionals means far more than speculation being used to deny them.

Also demonstrated by those polls - and that is in agreement with international news reports - is the massive increase in 'Americans unfavorable' numbers over the past ten years. But then if polls are so routinely wrong, then clearly the world is not overwhelmingly 'American unfavorable'. Which is it? Polls always lie - or polls properly reflect what had happened to world opinion of America?

Clearly America has never been more popular because all polls say otherwise? Or instead we look at numbers from Iran where the rhetoric and public opinion are not monolithic. bluesdave would have us believe that all Iranian is viciously anti-American. That is only found in George Jr myths so often promoted by Limbaugh and his peers - using reasoning that assume a monolithic Iran.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #97
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Uh.... why don't we ask the Cellar Dwellar who actually traveled to north western Pakistan and met the people there, what they think of Americans?

One man, spent one week in one village. Hmm, yes that is definitive proof. I wonder what his experience would have been like if he had travelled to South West, and Southern Pakistan?

tw, I'm sick of you selectively quoting me, and ignoring other comments I have made. There is no point in arguing with you. I am finished here.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:43 PM   #98
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
If polls did include those regions where even the Pakistani army does not tread, then 'American unfavorable' numbers (some of the highest in the world) would be even higher.

International reporters are not restricted in Iran as in Pakistan. Those numbers clearly demonstrate that Iranians are not as 'American unfavorable' as in Pakistan.

Meanwhile, bluesdave, where are your facts that say Iranians nearly 100% hate Americans? Disparage the only facts we have; and that is proof that all Iranians viciously hate Americans? Where are reports after studies? Reports and studies repeatedly say otherwise. Repeatedly from different sources say same thing. One can disparage all polls. But all polls by professionals means far more than speculation being used to deny them.

Also demonstrated by those polls - and that is in agreement with international news reports - is the massive increase in 'Americans unfavorable' numbers over the past ten years. But then if polls are so routinely wrong, then clearly the world is not overwhelmingly 'American unfavorable'. Which is it? Polls always lie - or polls properly reflect what had happened to world opinion of America?

Clearly America has never been more popular because all polls say otherwise? Or instead we look at numbers from Iran where the rhetoric and public opinion are not monolithic. bluesdave would have us believe that all Iranian is viciously anti-American. That is only found in George Jr myths so often promoted by Limbaugh and his peers - using reasoning that assume a monolithic Iran.
Damm you all are some cherry picking mofo's. Pick out the little bits of info from some obscure source and you think you have a lock on your position, everyone else is wrong and you are right.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:16 AM   #99
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post

"...it's a fascinating place to visit and they treat white Americans like no less than rock stars."
I have yet to post anything about Pakistan. Where did that come from?