The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 01-14-2002, 10:44 PM   #91
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Hubris Boy
Jim's offers Wiz as an option... and boy, you'd better know what you want when you get to the head of the line, or you'll face the wrath of the guy behind the grill.
That sounds like the guy down at Philip's. He looks like he's going to hop out the window sometimes.

Quote:
I'm a provolone kind of guy, myself. But sometimes... sometimes... Cheez Wiz scratches the itch in a way that nothing else can!
To me, it's just too messy. The grease is bad enough, then you add wiz on top of it...that's TOO much.

To the Philadelphians that have been here longer than me...what the hell is a gizmo? I keep seeing it on menus at restaurants here in the NE, but always forget to ask what they are.

Hubris, I give up. Babelfish was no help. What does your title say?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 08:58 AM   #92
dave

I actually prefer cheddar on a cheesesteak. I find its flavor to be exactly what I'm looking for. Provolone isn't too bad either, and American is good. But for me, it's cheddar that hits the spot.

However, what I'd really like to have is <b>Havarti</b> on a cheesesteak. I bet that'd be awesome. Havarti is, in the opinion of this cheese lover, <b>the</b> best cheese. It's got a great taste, and I think it would go really well on a cheesesteak.

Anyone ever had havarti on a cheesesteak? Any insight on how it was?

I think with Havarti, I'd just want a kinda bare-minimum cheesesteak - steak, havarti, onions and peppers - no ketchup or tomato sauce or mayo (though I love mayo on a cheesesteak). Gotta agree with Maggie that ketchup is just too sweet for a cheesesteak, though.

Anyway... thoughts on havarti?
Old 01-15-2002, 04:13 PM   #93
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
Ah, all about character.

Well damn. What kind of character? What about boring, rich people character? That's some kind of character, isn't it?
Maybe in your book. Most suburbs are too antiseptic for my liking.

Now Falls Church...THAT would get some consideration. It's quaint...has some character.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 04:15 PM   #94
dave

...AND it's only 2 Metro stops down from me. Score!
Old 01-25-2002, 02:34 PM   #95
Griff
still says videotape

Wing Bowl

Isn't the Wing Bowl happening in Philly today?
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 03:00 PM   #96
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
To the Philadelphians that have been here longer than me...what the hell is a gizmo?
Are you possibly referring to <i>gyros</i>? They are a very close cousin to souvlaki

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 03:03 PM   #97
MaggieL

Re: Wing Bowl

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
Isn't the Wing Bowl happening in Philly today?
Apparently.

Old 01-25-2002, 03:15 PM   #98
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yes, Wing Bowl happened this morning.

For the outtatowners, Wing Bowl is an annual wing-eating contest held by the local sports radio station. This was the tenth year of it. Started quite small, now it fills an entire arena with fans, for an event where the doors open at 5:30 a.m.

I believe it was won by the favorite, "El Wingadore". I didn't follow it that closely, but the radio is on when I make my morning coffee...

Say what you want, but there is some kind of really weird charm about this. I know a lot of people would find it to be uncomfortably like that asdfasdf image, another contrived opportunity for a bunch of thick-headed guys to act like morons.

It's a non-event event, like pro wrestling. Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

But there's a different feel about this one, somehow... as if it transcended into performance art for the common man. And it's definitely Philly. If it happened anywhere else, it just wouldn't play.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 03:16 PM   #99
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL

Are you possibly referring to <i>gyros</i>? They are a very close cousin to souvlaki
Gyros are awesome. It's just disappointing that the person that made that page referred to it as "sadziki" sauce. Tzatziki (pronounced "tuhzeeky") is the proper spelling.
Old 01-25-2002, 06:07 PM   #100
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic

Gyros are awesome. It's just disappointing that the person that made that page referred to it as "sadziki" sauce. Tzatziki (pronounced "tuhzeeky") is the proper spelling.
<i>The Alex Charalabidis Guide to Souvlaki</i> (further down the page in the blue box) spells it the way you like. Also note that while a Greek speaker will pronounce the word YEE-roh, many, if not most, restaurant employees in the Fluffia area will not know what you mean unless you say JYE-roh, as in the short name for the instrument stabilized by the angular momentum of a massy spinning wheel.

Last edited by MaggieL; 01-25-2002 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-29-2002, 02:08 PM   #101
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Lightbulb Cheesesteak munch time

I call an official Cellar cheesesteak munch for the second or third week of February.

I will be visiting town then and would like to meet more than ONE Cellar-dweller this time!

The place, date and time is up to general consensus.

There. I said it!

Brian
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 02:37 PM   #102
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL

<i>The Alex Charalabidis Guide to Souvlaki</i> (further down the page in the blue box) spells it the way you like. Also note that while a Greek speaker will pronounce the word YEE-roh, many, if not most, restaurant employees in the Fluffia area will not know what you mean unless you say JYE-roh, as in the short name for the instrument stabilized by the angular momentum of a massy spinning wheel.
Indeed, which makes me look like a fucking idiot when I actually say YEE-roh, and they go "HUH?" and I have to say "JYE-roh. Give me a fucking JYE-roh, you uncultured savage." Then I have to leave, because they'll probably spit in my food.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:03 PM   #103
MaggieL

Re: Cheesesteak munch time

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianR
I call an official Cellar cheesesteak munch for the second or third week of February.
I'm for it.

Old 01-31-2002, 07:04 PM   #104
BrianR

Unhappy Nobody wuvs me!

I'm coming into town the third week of Feb (looks like a weeks' delay here for moving and such).

Maggie, I'll meet you wherever you want as long as they have good cheesesteaks.

Everyone else can go piddle up a rope. I'm going to enjoy my visit anyway!

Brian
Old 02-03-2002, 01:00 PM   #105
BrianR

Looks like you and me, Mags

I guess no one else reads this forum or wants to go munch with me.

What and where will it be, girl?

Or we can do Timothy's ribs. They're to die for. Or so I remember.

I'm open, and easy