The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #1021
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I had a different abuser in my life, and I know what you mean.

I think everything just disappoints me lately, and things that seem good are often not, so I keep trying to think there's more to it than I know. Cock-eyed optimist, budding pessimist.

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #1022
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
@iMonkey

Thanks.
You're welcome.

OK, back to the actor. Inherit the Wind? Hello! Of course one of the best films ever.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #1023
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
You're welcome.

OK, back to the actor. Inherit the Wind? Hello! Of course one of the best films ever.
Indeed. Just ask Elspode.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:43 AM   #1024
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I just posted this on FB...

I'm extremely sad to hear of the passing Christopher Hitchens. He's been suffering from cancer for quite some time, so it's probably a much needed relief for him...dear man, I hope you are now enjoying civilised cocktails and after-dinner cigarettes with Mr. Wodehouse.

I have a lot of admiration for Mr. Hitchens. He was pegged as a conservative, but I don't believe he should have been pegged as anything less than a deep-thinking individual. I was fortunate to meet him twice at Timberlake's, a bar in Dupont Circle where the love of my life, [MB], used to bartend. MB got to know him a bit more than I did, lucky guy.

I remember when I first met Mr. Hitchens. It was only he and I at the bar (and MB behind the bar), and I was incredibly nervous! I was nearly one-on-one with one of the most brilliant minds alive, and I could think of almost nothing to say. Thankfully, we realized that we had a common love of P.G. Wodehouse...so that sustained the conversation for a while.

Mr. Hitchen, the world is a worse place without you. I hope your boy, who you were overheard to instruct that Russians are all alcoholics, will be able to continue your wonderful legacy in any way at all.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #1025
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

My FB post

Very sad this morning to learn of the death of Christopher Hitchens, although we knew it was coming and he had been ill for a long time. His awesome rhetoric and obvious brilliance were absolutely inspiring. This morning I have re-read the account of when he was attacked in Beirut for defacing the sign of a nationalist party there whose symbol is a stylized swastika. Said Hitchens later, if one sees a swastika, it is one's duty to deface it. He has defaced more intellectual swastikas than anyone else.

http://michaeltotten.com/archives/20...topher-hit.php

(to have bartended for the man... to have met the man... that's amazing, bc)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #1026
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

RIP Mr. Hitchens. A great author.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #1027
Griff
still says videotape

He had a great mind, but as with many great minds his provided cover for lesser minds with lesser agendas.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #1028
Nirvana
Back in 10

Kim Jong Il? I did not know he was sick!
I am not bummed either
LINK
Old 12-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #1029
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Vaclav Havel also died.

Meanwhile a Russian oil rig capsized killing over 60 people when a wave crashed through portholes and washed away the only lifeboat. A disaster equivalent to Piper Alpha. Death of people who actually do something (or tried to) is the worst.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:27 AM   #1030
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Vaclav Havel is a sad passing.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #1031
Nirvana
Back in 10

Say it isn't so!

International Rockstar Legend Jon Bon Jovi dead at 49
December 19, 2011

LINK
Old 12-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #1032
Nirvana
Back in 10

Hoax whew!

LINK
Old 12-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #1033
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Oh god. I had this flash of fear that all I would be hearing about for the next month would be Jon Bon Jovi. The city would shut down. (I'd be sad, too.)
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #1034
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Indeed. Just ask Elspode.
Selene kept that one in the un-negotiated DVD pilfering. I'm not very happy about that. It is my single favorite film of all time.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #1035
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

CBS reporting that Joe Pa has passed.
Quote:
Joe Paterno, the man who for decades was synonymous with Penn State football and was known by the college football world as just "JoePa", has died, according to Penn State student website Onward State. Onward State is reporting that the Penn State players were notified of Paterno's passing via email. Paterno, 85, had been receiving chemotherapy as part of his treatment for lung cancer.

However, Paterno family spokesperson Dan McGinn told a New York Times reporter that the report is "absolutely not true."

Paterno was the head coach of Penn State for 46 seasons before being fired in November as his role in the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal came under greater scrutiny. Combined with the time he spent as an assistant, Paterno spent a total of 61 years on the Penn State sidelines. He left behind a legacy that, on the field of play, was unparalleled in Division I football. Paterno holds the all-time Division I record for football coaching wins with a 409-136-3 record, and he won two national championships while going undefeated in five different seasons.
Link

...or maybe not.
Quote:
Former Penn State coach Joe Paterno is in serious condition after experiencing health complications from lung cancer.

"Over the last few days Joe Paterno has experienced further health complications," family spokesman Dan McGinn said in a brief statement Saturday to The Associated Press. "His doctors have now characterized his status as serious.

"His family will have no comment on the situation and asks that their privacy be respected during this difficult time," he said.

The 85-year-old Paterno has been in the hospital since Jan. 13 for observation for what his family had called minor complications from cancer treatments.

Paterno was diagnosed with cancer in November, days after getting ousted as head coach in the aftermath of the child sex abuse charges against former assistant Jerry Sandusky.
Link

Tags
sundae's got a gun.....