The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #9676
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Hello Caller, www.hellocaller.com

They have a strict rule about not starting any big social media campaigns to try to influence the Academy voters, though I don't even know who those people would be at this stage anyway. I got to vote one year in the main Grammy voting when I was interning at a music studio, but I think the people who choose the nominees are a pretty select group.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #9677
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Pretty damn cool, clod!

I'm happy about the way my thesis is going. I've been in a bit of a funk with it lately. and time is short.

But last week I spent a few days bringing disparate chunks together into coherent sections. I now have a more or less complete first draft introduction - just needs a little round up of what's in each chapter, which I will do when the rest is finished. And half of a first draft Chapter 1.

was feeling good about that, but wasn't sure on the quality of some of it. Have just had a meeting with my supervisor and he seems to think it passes muster. Just a few alterations needed to what's there. Am hoping to finish that chapter over the next week and a half.

Realistically, I need to be doing a chapter a month now in order to get this in in time. It's a big ask, especially as I have only done some of the statistical analysis needed for the major sections, but I am feeling more capable of producing the goods than i have in a long time.

From now on I am sticking to a single chapter at a time until it's finished, rather than jumping about doing odds and sods as the mood takes me and as conference papers dictate.

So...yeah...feeling quite fired up.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #9678
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Good to hear, Dana!

I'm happy tonight because I'm going to go spend the evening with my oldest son. Relax, have a beer, chat. Yay!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #9679
Nirvana
Back in 10

I am happy because there is auto correct some NSFW words

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/394839092301861124/
Old 11-06-2013, 12:44 AM   #9680
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Aden got a letter in the mail inviting him to the course he wants to do at uni next year. We knew it was coming, but still such a relief to know the first one is on his way.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #9681
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Congratulations to Aden! And to you, who made it possible. Great news, Ali!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #9682
Aliantha

Thanks Ortho. We are very pleased for him.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #9683
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha
Aden got a letter in the mail inviting him to the course he wants to do at uni next year.
So, is this like the American equivalent of getting accepted into a particular school? Or was he already in the university, and now he's allowed to pursue specific coursework? Sounds like good news, whichever it is. Congratulations!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #9684
Aliantha

He's just finishing high school. He's been in a program for the last two years where if he fulfills certain criteria, including passing exams etc, he had a chance of being offered admission to the course he wants even before his final results come out. So anyway, he did all the stuff he had to do and passed the exams and did well in all his other subjects, so now we know for sure that he's going to university to study Exercise Science next year. It's a three year course which will leave the door open to a multitude of pathways for future study and employment. He doesn't start any earlier. He just doesn't have to sweat on his results and waiting to see if he is offered a place later on. Takes a lot of stress out of the summer holiday for him (and us).
Old 11-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #9685
monster
I hear them call the tide

Sound more like UK unis where you choose your course/major before you apply?
Old 11-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #9686
Aliantha

Yep thats right monster, except he doesnt have to wait like everyone else. He already knows hes in.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #9687
chrisinhouston
Professor

I had the funniest dream this morning just a few hours ago. I dreamed I was at some kind of official meeting and Governor Rick Perry was there and he was praying to Jesus and I was talking to the guy next to me and the Governor got all mad at me and started threatening me with expulsion so I got into a big argument about the separation of church and state and if we needed to have a prayer to start the meeting why not a non-sectarian prayer.

I think I dreamed that because l was listening to the arguments last night on the news for the case before the SCOTUS. Pretty funny.

Anyway I argued with the Gov that if I led a prayer it would be to Zeus or something like that. He was pissed.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #9688
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Yep thats right monster, except he doesnt have to wait like everyone else. He already knows hes in.
yeah, here they do a year of general study before they decide on a specialty. Then they do another three years. I'm generalizing wildly, of course, and colleges are chosen for their areas of excellence to a certain extent..... it's all very strange and foreign and scary. But there is no waiting for results here. Junior year (the penultimate one) is the hard slog and worry year and senior year is a breeze afaict.

Congrats to him.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #9689
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Anyway I argued with the Gov that if I led a prayer it would be to Zeus or something like that.
My wife and I got into a discussion yesterday on that topic.
My thesis was: If it is "prayer", that is the sine qua non of belief in a god.

It doesn't matter what words/thoughts/ideas are involved.
So even a "non-sectarian" prayer can be as much an affront to someone
as a invoking the name of Jesus, Buddha, Muhammad, or in my household, the dog, Vicky.

I'm just waiting to see how Antonin twists his interpretation of the Constitution
around to strike out "establishment of religion" and leave "free exercise"
as the Right of a state, county, city government ... and all corporations.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #9690
monster

I'm happy because Hector got to keep "his" number (30) when they handed out equipment yesterday for the hockey team. He was worried because #30 hadn't been available in the practice jerseys as the last #30 they had kept it. But he didn't keep the regular shirts, so YAY!