The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-01-2007, 08:43 PM   #76
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

How much gas do you use?

A lot of people around the country are complaining about the price of gas, but many of them are driving around in vehicles that get less than 20 miles per gallon. As someone else pointed out, sales of trucks and SUVs are still a significant part of all vehicle sales.

I'm curious how much gas the average person here uses. My wife and I, between us, use about 700 gallons of gas per year (to go about 24,000 miles). If the price of gas were to go up by another $2/gallon, this will add about $1400/year to our transportation costs. That sounds like a lot until you consider the total cost of vehicle ownership. At $0.50/mile (~current price), this $2/gallon increment will add about 12% to our transportation costs. Most of us could save $1400/year just by cutting back on tequila and bourbon.

I think it's not the price of gas that upsets people but the uncertainty. The government should add enough tax to gas to raise the price to $5/gallon, then adjust the tax periodically to maintain that price. That would bring stability and predictably to the market. They could use the tax money to provide minimum health care to everyone.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:56 PM   #77
freshnesschronic
Professor

What's an attendant?
Ok, wait, before everyone gangs up on me.... Someone who pumps gas FOR you into your car?
Weird, never seen one in the midwest. Usually only see big name companies like Amco, BP and Speedway. Or at least I think they are big name companies. Self served.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #78
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
What's an attendant?
Ok, wait, before everyone gangs up on me.... Someone who pumps gas FOR you into your car?
Weird, never seen one in the midwest. Usually only see big name companies like Amco, BP and Speedway. Or at least I think they are big name companies. Self served.
In New Jersey, self serve is illegal. And the gas is still cheaper than in Pennsylvania.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:42 PM   #79
freshnesschronic
Professor

Illegal? Why?
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #80
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Paid $2.80 today.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:02 PM   #81
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

My 2001 Ford Taurus got around 20 miles per gallon if I was lucky. It really should get more and I don't know why since I am not a dumbass when I drive.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:07 PM   #82
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Illegal? Why?
It was originally made illegal due to safety concerns...Oregon has a similar law. There has been talking of rescinding the NJ ban, but nothing that I've seen or heard recently.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #83
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Illegal? Why?
As I recall it had to do with a few issues, strength of the Unions who owned the gas stations, and some bogus issue about the seal made around the nozzel when put into the tank, that it had to be done by some trained monkey to pump the gas. All BS Politics as you can guess....

Last edited by TheMercenary; 05-01-2007 at 11:23 PM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:19 PM   #84
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Recent gas expenses, and how much I make per mile:

January: $201 ($1.83)
February: $235 ($2.10)
March: $260 ($1.87)
April: $242 ($1.80)
May (4/29-today): $34 ($1.79)

Note how well I did in February...gas prices at the time were around $2-2.20.

I think I've done everything I can to maximize my profit and minimize costs, except for running stop signs.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:06 AM   #85
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Illegal? Why?
The guy's name was Jerry Ferrara. During 1970 gas shortages, he fought to require attendants to pump gas for safety reasons. And yes, gasoline pumped by an attendant is always cheaper in NJ.

Of course the Tappet Bros (Car Talk) provided a good example why some should not pump gas. As the lady opened her gas cap, her jewelry may have static sparked to the car causing a massive flame to flash out in air above her. New tires not using carbon black may create a static electric problem for cars. Maybe don't wear jewelry when pumping gas? Or go to Jersey.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:09 AM   #86
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
As I recall it had to do with a few issues, strength of the Unions who owned the gas stations, and some bogus issue about the seal made around the nozzel when put into the tank, that it had to be done by some trained monkey to pump the gas. All BS Politics as you can guess....
Unions? Unions owned gas stations? Talk about BS.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:15 AM   #87
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Having seen some of the morons who pump gas in Jersey, the general public is often far better qualified to manage the job.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:55 AM   #88
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
And yes, gasoline pumped by an attendant is always cheaper in NJ.
Quote:
$2.73 in South Jersey, pumped by the attendant.
Not cheaper than Austin, TX self-pump...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:20 AM   #89
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
I'm curious how much gas the average person here uses. My wife and I, between us, use about 700 gallons of gas per year (to go about 24,000 miles).

I think it's not the price of gas that upsets people but the uncertainty. The government should add enough tax to gas to raise the price to $5/gallon, then adjust the tax periodically to maintain that price. That would bring stability and predictably to the market. They could use the tax money to provide minimum health care to everyone.

I drive 350 miles/week roundtrip to work in a 2000 Taurus SEL V6 DOHC. ~300 miles is highway, average speed 75mph. (speed limit is 70) I keep track of my gas milage as an indicator of car 'health', and average 24mpg. Obviously less in the winter (~22) when I have to let it idle to warm up, but in the summer A/C does not seem to affect the average.

350mpw X 50wks = 17500 miles /24 mpg = 729 gallons of gas
X 2.50 (guess at average over the last year) $1823.

My yearly raises barely have covered the increased cost of gas for me over the last 6 years. This year I got a larger than normal raise, and it appears that gas is going to go up even more than it has in the past. *sigh*

Yes, there are vanpools and such, but my schedule is such that I don't work 8-4:30 exactly everyday, and as the primary caregiving parent, I need to be able to leave my job at any moment. I would in a heartbeat join one if it were practical. I'd get a lot more leisure reading or napping done that way There is talk of a commuter train to connect Iowa City and Cedar Rapids, which might offer me the flexability I would need, and if it did, I would likely begin to take that. Of course, it 's likely at least a decade before that becomes a reality.

Oh, and my husband drives about the same milage, but he drives a Silverado 4x4 that averages 14 mpg no matter what we do. His estimated fuel costs then are $3125. (at average $2.50)

Grand total for the Rat Family = $4948
Old 05-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #90
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
I drive 350 miles/week roundtrip to work in a 2000 Taurus SEL V6 DOHC. ~300 miles is highway, average speed 75mph. (speed limit is 70) I keep track of my gas milage as an indicator of car 'health', and average 24mpg. Obviously less in the winter (~22) when I have to let it idle to warm up, but in the summer A/C does not seem to affect the average.

350mpw X 50wks = 17500 miles /24 mpg = 729 gallons of gas
X 2.50 (guess at average over the last year) $1823.

My yearly raises barely have covered the increased cost of gas for me over the last 6 years. This year I got a larger than normal raise, and it appears that gas is going to go up even more than it has in the past. *sigh*

Yes, there are vanpools and such, but my schedule is such that I don't work 8-4:30 exactly everyday, and as the primary caregiving parent, I need to be able to leave my job at any moment. I would in a heartbeat join one if it were practical. I'd get a lot more leisure reading or napping done that way There is talk of a commuter train to connect Iowa City and Cedar Rapids, which might offer me the flexability I would need, and if it did, I would likely begin to take that. Of course, it 's likely at least a decade before that becomes a reality.

Oh, and my husband drives about the same milage, but he drives a Silverado 4x4 that averages 14 mpg no matter what we do. His estimated fuel costs then are $3125. (at average $2.50)

Grand total for the Rat Family = $4948
LR - I have a 1998 Ford Ranger 4x4 that gets about 18 mpg. A few years ago, when I was driving 100 miles per day, I bought a Honda Insight. I've managed to average 66.7 miles per gallon (lower in winter, higher in summer, and much higher on long trips) over the last 4 years. But I still need the truck sometimes in winter or to help friends move.

Unfortunately, Honda doesn't make the Insight anymore, but I've been told that the Toyota Prius is a very good car. I wish the American automakers made some fuel-efficient cars.

P.S. I'm actually working more hours but making less money than I was 9 years ago, and driving more, so I definitely appreciate the increased fuel efficiency.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote