The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-02-2008, 11:13 PM   #76
Cloud

okay, you're right. a little net research says "bread and milk" aren't taxed. How odd--I never noticed. I will be more aware henceforth!
Old 05-03-2008, 12:04 AM   #77
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

I was thinking about this on a long drive back from LA to Phoenix.

I think the future of both energy and clean water is micro-production. Small production plants in every home, solar or other clean technologies, and rainwater/condensation traps on roofs, cisterns to store freshwater from the rainy seasons.

This acute supply problems in areas like LA, where I live, would be alleviated if 20 million people, 5 million households meant 5 million small power production plants, and 5 million small water collection sites.

We're seeing an epochal transition away from the industrial mindset, where the goal was consolidation of production in every area, to ... I dunno. No good name for it yet.

Also, I'm pretty drunk, so I may come back online tomorrow morning and clarify.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:21 AM   #78
Griff
still says videotape

I like the distributed production idea. Look what's happening in Alaska right now, an avalanche took out the high tension lines that connect the city to its hydropower sources. They are screwed. Distributed production makes you less reliant on one power source. It reduces the impact on the population from monopoly, war, natural disaster, and terrorism. It makes people more directly responsible for themselves which is an invaluable psychological good.

My level of green is probably better than most Americans, but not great. We recycle. We use firewood from tree falls on our property for most of our heating needs. This is almost carbon neutral except for a small amount of chainsaw and vehicle gas used to bring it in. Our back-up heat source during serious cold snaps is wood pellets which I have to purchase. I live too far from work and drive an AWD out of necessity, for where I live. I'm finally getting 30mpg now that the engine is broken in. I'd buy a higher gas mileage AWD vehicle next time if available.

A BTU tax seems like a smart way to go as long as income is no longer taxed.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #79
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

For dense populations, cogeneration.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #80
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Yeppers xo! You can also convert energy produced from your greenhouse, into heating or cooling in your main house. I haven't had my own house to try it yet...But the non-profit I used to work for used to give away this conversion package (greenhouse etc.)

Not only that, you get to eat the awesome food produced in the greenhouse...
Old 05-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #81
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I hadn't seen that setup, do you have a link, or a name for the package?
Old 05-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #82
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Here is an article or website on it...but this can be used if the greenhouse is not part of the structure and merely attached. It requires solar cells etc.
http://www.jc-solarhomes.com/attache...greenhouse.htm

Here is a diagram but is not exactly what I'm talking about, but includes the basic idea.
Name:  Conv.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  51.7 KB

Oops..I accidently posted cloud's photo instead of the cheesy diagram the first time around.......lol!

You can attach solar to an attached greenhouse and get the same effect, but I can't find the info. I was looking for on CO2 conversion and it isn't on the non-prof. web-site. Batting zero this morning. I would love to give you the web address for said, non-profit so you can get more info, but I need to mantain at least a little cellar and internet anonymity so pm me if you really want it! They do have docs. on the conversion and love to talk about it so you may contact them (e-mail or call) if you want their specs. and more information about the particulars...These packages are not for sale- it is a non-profit...there is no catchy name for the greenhouse and the conversion that I know of...but e-mail them if you are interested. I can't find the particular conversion on the internet......Earlier I found a decent patent for this conversion and lost it. I didn't know it was so "obscure". I am getting pissed at the googly this morning.

That actually pisses me off that the information about these types of conversions are being mudied with "greenhouse effect" panic on the internet, when you are looking for the legitimate information on greenhouse conversions to help sustain.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #83
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

We made a big leap forward on "greening" the house the past week. Radiant barrier, solar water heater, and polarized films on the windows. It was a special deal with a company where they figure out exactly what the energy savings are going to be for your house, and then finance the cost so that you're breaking even until it's paid for itself.

There were some interesting parts of the process. The solar water heater has these two very large black panels that go up on the roof, and are quite visible from the street. I had mentioned that our HOA might have a problem with that, though they've never been dicks about anything in the past, and he said actually, they can't legally have a problem with it. He handed me a copy of a federal statute that says any green energy improvements to a property are automatically exempt from any HOA rules, as long as they are professionally installed and maintained. I didn't know that. Also, because we obviously get more solar usage during the day, it's more efficient for us now if we are able to run the laundry and dishwasher earlier rather than late in the evening. I'm working on adjusting the schedule so that can happen, at least during the cold months.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #84
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I use a stainless steel water bottle, but mainly because there is a water cooler in my office and it doesn't spill like the plastic 7-11 Domokun cup that I usually use.

I buy gasoline with ethanol in it because there is only one gas station between my house and work and that's what they sell.

I recycle paper, plastic, and metals because it's in my lease that I have to.

I use canvas bags for shopping because they hold more, don't break, and I have to carry my groceries a very long distance from the parking lot. Fewer bags = fewer trips.

So, yeah. I'm green.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #85
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

I was sort of surprised a few years ago when our pick-up service changed the sorting
of paper, cans, plastic, etc of the re-cycling system over to an "all-one bin", except for glass.

I can see that our household is now recycling more than half of our trash,
whereas before it was barely a quarter.
This without having to give any thought to it - except to put the styrofoam into the trash.

Styrofoam is frustrating because of it's bulk in the trash,
and the only recycling place for it will only take large blocks...
peanuts and other bits and pieces are rejected.

Oregon gas contains ethanol during the winter, so we have little to no choice.

Aluminum cans and plastic "water" bottles have deposits so they go back to the store,
and the "midnight stalkers" manage to pick or dismantle anything made of metal that can be carried away,
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #86
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I've developed a green conscience, which I find annoying.

I don't have o.c.d, but I imagine it's what o.c.d. feels like when trying to determine what is recyclable,or if I feel too lazy to rise out the container, but I HAVE to.

I imagine that most people find pleasure, and self satisfaction in recycling. I do not. I don't feel this is normal. I think I should feel self congratulatory on my way to the recycle bin.I don't. I wonder if there is anything in my garbage that should have been there. Like those little plastic tops off the water bottles.The inside packages of cereal boxes, handi wrap, and the list goes on and on.

Fortunately, I have a short attention span.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #87
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
green, green, my yew is green
greenest damn yew, that you've ever seen
red, red, its berries are red
squish 'em, don't eat 'em
or you will get dead

When it's wet, how the bark looks brown
When it's dried, now the bark still looks brown
Old 12-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #88
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post