The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 09-18-2006, 12:29 PM   #76
W.HI.P
Free

my opinion about a-rod has changed obviously, this was a post from the begining of the season.
...and i know, i had posted all these great baseball pics in that thread and some excellent hockey pics in the hockey thread, but one day undertoad switched something that made the pics not show.
anyhow, i would have made a lot more posts with pics as i have quite a collection.
okay, and since you agree that the a's are going nowhere, then we are in accord.
W.HI.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:55 AM   #77
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Love the way WHIP drops the Angels so quickly. Lame. Lame Ass. Here's a phrase we made up in Portland:

Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.Beat LA.

Who in their right mind wants the big market teams to win????? I'm from NY, and I am tired of the bullshit. 15 years living in Pittsburgh beat my Yankees spirit. I saw leave Bonds, Bonnilla, and Drebek after almost going to the World Series. then 17 years in a row with a losing record.

Why don't they just divide into Big Markets League and Small Market Leagues and have a World Series between rich and poor? What drama?

BIG-MARKET LEAGUE

NY Yankees
Boston
Atlanta
Baltimore
Detroit

Chicago Sox
Philadelphia
Houston
LA Angels
NY Mets

Texas
Chicago Cubs
LA Dodgers
San Francisco

SMALL-MARKET LEAGUE
Toronto
Tampa Bay
Minnesota
Washington
Cleveland

Kansas City
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Florida
St. Louis

Milwaukee
San Diego
Arizona
Colorado
Oakland
Seattle

This would be interesting.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:39 AM   #78
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Ja, I'm just saying that anybody batting in that place it the Yankees lineup would put up good stats. Even A-Rod in a bad year.

If the A's are going nowhere where are the Angels going? I agree with Rock Steady. The lack of a salary cap has created a lot of imbalance. That teams like Oakland or Minnesota can even compete is just a testament to their organazations; they are still playing against a house with a stacked deck. The Yankees were faced with injury. They just went out and bought replacements. The A's didn't have that luxory. This e-mail lays out the A's success with Beane pretty well.

Mets have taken the NL East ... they will be in good shape if they don't get complacent.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:51 AM   #79
warch
lurkin old school

I've not been around alot lately, but just need to chime in here about my TWINS! they are not settling for the wild card, they want the division.
Its a great team, (Nick Punto, Torii Hunter, Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, and all the lunch bucket, role guys that are solid, consistent and step up when its needed most)
We've got the big series here with CWS coming up to close the regular season. Yee Haa!
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:59 PM   #80
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Here in KC, we're waiting for the Royals to make their move for the Western Division pennant. They've lulled the rest of the league into complacency, and now they're poised to strike.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:35 PM   #81
W.HI.P
Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Here in KC, we're waiting for the Royals to make their move for the Western Division pennant. They've lulled the rest of the league into complacency, and now they're poised to strike.
thats cute and funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Steady
Love the way WHIP drops the Angels so quickly.
what are you on about...i've never dropped the angels, i'm a fan, just a realistic fan, and i've never said that the angels would make the world series.
i had ny-ny in the world series from the get go.
all i've said is that the a's suck, and that is a fact.
florida on the other hand, is looking pretty good.

and you guys are talking about rich clubs and poor clubs, well, that would put florida in a division of their own now wouldn't it.....now compare the contracts of the a's to the contracts of the marlins marlins.....now the a's look really bad don't they
Old 09-21-2006, 01:52 AM   #82
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Still waiting for proof the A's suck

I'd like to see KC really compete but so far there are only two teams who've shown they've can without a huge payroll: Oakland and Minnesota. Minnesota has been particularly impressive. Their offense is really clicking and as long as they keep getting good pitching I don't see how they won't take the division, especially with Detroit and Chicago faltering.

W.HI.P your claim about the Marlins is beyond absurd. Payroll isn't a direct correlation to wins. If that metric were true the Yankees suck because they haven't won 973 (or at least 152) games by this point. Have the Marlins done good given their resources? Hell yes. Do they have a shot at the playoffs? Of course not, they are 17.5 games back of a team that spent 8X what they did. Nobody can tell me they wouldn't have done better if they had a Carlos Delgado or Billy Wagner on their team.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:13 AM   #83
W.HI.P
Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebediah
proof, all you need to do is watch them,lol.

Quote:
W.HI.P your claim about the Marlins is beyond absurd. Do they have a shot at the playoffs? Of course not, they are 17.5 games back of a team that spent 8X what they did. Nobody can tell me they wouldn't have done better if they had a Carlos Delgado or Billy Wagner on their team.
umm, hello, excuse me...florida is only 4 games back, and are on fire, imo they have a great shot at making the playoffs, what planet are you on, they're .666 in their past 30 games, their remaining games are with their rivals phillies and reds...its pretty close
Old 09-21-2006, 02:47 PM   #84
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Magic # is 6
Old 09-21-2006, 06:04 PM   #85
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Ok, 4 games of the wild card. Honestly I wasn't watching the NL wild card at all since the teams are hardly a threat. The fact remains the Marlins are 17.5 games back of the Mets in the division.

Magic # is now 4. Guess they really suck...
Old 09-22-2006, 01:08 PM   #86
W.HI.P
Free

you're being silly mr.not to be trusted.

you're wearing a visor.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:13 PM   #87
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebediah

Magic # is now 4. Guess they really suck...
The main reason the A's suck:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
The A's have gone a major league-best 44-20 since the All-Star break.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:43 PM   #88
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Based on the posts I'm beginning to think W.HI.P doesn't have any, persish the thought.

AL Central is quite exciting... that's going to be a good division for the next few years I think.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:42 AM   #89
warch
lurkin old school

Twins clinch wild card. Boof!
You gotta love the strong farm system.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #90
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Kansas City is glad to have helped out.