The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 05-28-2005, 12:12 PM   #76
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Just wanted to know if there was any hope for the open and rational among us, or if we should just shut up, stop wasting time and accept we aren't going to get through to a large segment of the population.
in your phrasing you've pointed to the problem more clearly than you know. if your mind (and mine) isn't somewhat open to the idea thatYOU might be the wrong one, why would you expect anyone else to either?

too often people mistake their beliefs and ideas for themselves. there is a very fine line between believing your ideas to be superior, and believing you are superior. once your self-image is wrapped up in your ideas, admitting your idea might not be superior means you might be somehow inferior.

er, something.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:31 PM   #77
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Lots of sense in that post, Lookout.

We all hold our opinions, and we all think we're right...almost as if admitting that there may be other possibilities or opinions (whether we agree with them or not), would somehow diminish us, or something.

And so, in response, I will pledge to try as hard as I can to be more diplomatic in the future, and to make more of an effort to understand opinions that wildly differ from my own.

**Disclaimer: this does not mean I will suddenly become a bleeding-heart, or agree with said opinions; merely that I will make more of an effort to understand where the other person is coming from and WHY they believe so strongly in what they're saying, and I will try to reply in such a way that my differing opinion, if it differs, will not sound like a personal attack.

Thank you for your support. We now return you to our regular programming...

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Last edited by Lady Sidhe; 05-28-2005 at 01:34 PM.
Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote