The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-29-2006, 06:05 PM   #76
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
There is no "why", it just happens.
That's not a reason not to attempt to limit the effects when it does, mr gets-annoyed-when-an-ambulatory-person-parks-in-a-handicapped-space.

As you should. Handicapped spaces are a perfectly legitimate way by which society attempts to limit the negative effects of nature, without which you'd have to work even harder to get the same things as others.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:06 PM   #77
rkzenrage

Wow! That was a reach.
I agree... but I am not pissed-off about being disabled. That is more on point.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:06 PM   #78
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Actually, I think Happy made a very good point. Society in many ways tries to offset the disadvantages that nature burdens individuals with.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:08 PM   #79
rkzenrage

Do you think it is "unfair" that I am sick?
Old 11-29-2006, 06:10 PM   #80
DanaC

As unfair as it was that I spent the first sixteen years of my of life 'sick'

As unfair as it is that my Father is dying.

As unfair as it is that one of the most intelligent men I ever met was taught by his teachers that he was stupid.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:23 PM   #81
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Experiences may be subjective, but that lays the best argument for saying that the individual is eventually the one in control. Pain is pain, we all suffer it, just in different fashions. However if you were to suffer a specific injury, lets say a broken arm, the pain itself is not what is subjective. The difference between the person quietly suffering and waiting for treatment and the person screaming as if being filleted alive is not the actual level of pain they experience, but how they choose to react to it. The one in control can understand that imparting their misery onto everyone else will not make the pain go away any faster, the screamer feels that the fact that they are experiencing pain lifts all other responsibilities from their shoulders.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:27 PM   #82
DanaC

Quote:
the screamer feels that the fact that they are experiencing pain lifts all other responsibilities from their shoulders.
Or.....the person screaming feels that screaming in some way helps them deal with their pain.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:29 PM   #83
rkzenrage

I don't believe in fair. It is a silly concept that only belongs on board-games.
Each person's worst pain is the worst pain in the world as far as they are concerned.
It drives me nuts when I try to comfort someone when something has happened to them and they say some shit like "I have no right saying anything to you with all that you have been through/go through".

Yelling can release endorphins... it does help in extreme cases. Most yell before they need to or because they are surprised because they did not realize how bad something was going to hurt or (mostly IMO) because they are not used to pain.

My Drs are always amazed at my pain threshold (not a good thing, it is a problem with my meds) due to having always been in pain and my brain/nervous system functions differently. Also, I'm just very stoic about it.

Some pain meds do not work on me, I had a root canal with no working meds once, he did not believe me, did not know my history... that was very bad.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 11-29-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:29 PM   #84
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I guess 9th has never given birth to a child. lol
Old 11-29-2006, 06:32 PM   #85
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Do you think it is "unfair" that I am sick?
Yes. And handicapped spaces, wheelchair-access laws, and the Americans with Disabilities Act are some of the ways in which society attempts to mitigate the unfairness.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:33 PM   #86
DanaC

LoL ali.
many
rkzenrage, I totally agree. But society isn't really about what's fair, it's about what's useful. Is it really useful to society that millions of people don't reach their potential and therefore do not contribute to their fullest ability? How many Einsteins have we lost to the slums? ....how many Darwins never realised their potential? .....how many Ciceros were too busy surviving to write their thoughts?......How many Fords never got the chance to put their ideas into action?
Old 11-29-2006, 06:34 PM   #87
rkzenrage

Good point except for Ford... I am not a fan of that Anti-Semite.

The ADA is a joke.
Just went shopping in a village where I could go into a grand total of four shops (out of around a hundred) and eat in two places, none were really restaurants.
One was a hot-dog place and another was a Blimpys.

Handicap spaces where 90% of the permits are given to people who can walk walk the store and mall, don't need the spot for a lift or ramp... yeah... tell me about fair.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 11-29-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:35 PM   #88
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Hey...how come no one acceded my point when I made the same point with less words???
Old 11-29-2006, 06:35 PM   #89
DanaC

Har. True, but he did a fair amount for mechanisation:P
Old 11-29-2006, 06:37 PM   #90
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha
I guess 9th has never given birth to a child. lol
I have to roll my eyes when women throw out the old 'men have nothing to say about pain because they've never given birth to a child' chestnut. I've had many types of pain, including labor (four children), and the worst pain I've ever had by far was the pain of cluster headache. Second is migraine. Women don't have a corner on significant pain.