The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

View Poll Results: Does the US need a third party?
Yes, anything is better than the two we have now 6 33.33%
No, the Democrats and Republicans were good enough for grandpa, and they're good enough for me 0 0%
Nice thought, but impossible to implement for a variety of reasons 7 38.89%
No, what we need is a revolution 3 16.67%
Huh? Who me? I dunno 2 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #76
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Cyber, check out the way California is voting this year.
The primary will be all candidates from all parties.
The top two vote-getters will be the two on the final ballot.
So there could be 2 Dems or 2 Reps or 1 of each.
I like the first part, but it's the whole 'top 2' I think we should veer away from.

I also think we should vote separately for VP, instead of a this guy/another guy ticket. This is purely anecdotal, but I know a few people who would have voted McCain but didn't because they didn't want Palin anywhere near that kind of power. It was that whole 'just a heartbeat away' thing... too close for their comfort.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #77
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf View Post
I also think we should vote separately for VP, instead of a this guy/another guy ticket. This is purely anecdotal, but I know a few people who would have voted McCain but didn't because they didn't want Palin anywhere near that kind of power. It was that whole 'just a heartbeat away' thing... too close for their comfort.
It has always seemed rather strange that the, arguably second most important/powerful/influential... person in the world isn't really elected on his/her own. I don't like the package deal either.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #78
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Seems as though some have forgotten the chaos of earlier
American history when the President and Vice President
were elected separately. And how that led to the system we have now.

Last edited by Lamplighter; 12-01-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #79
classicman

Yeh, I read about and understand. I was thinking more of a 2-3 guys run for pres from each party and the runner up from the winning gets the VP nod or something.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #80
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Yeh, I read about and understand. I was thinking more of a 2-3 guys run for pres from each party and the runner up from the winning gets the VP nod or something.
I like this idea better... the best 2 out of 2<X.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #81
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Does America need a third party?

I'm not sure. But if things continue the way they are going, we're going to need a co-signer.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #82
Griff
still says videotape

It looks like the plan is to devalue all the worlds currencies. So, no worries on that loan.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #83
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf View Post
I like this idea better... the best 2 out of 2<X.
I'm not thinking its practical though. Then again, maybe each person could vote for up to their top two choices. The two candidates who receive the most votes are on the ballot or something.

ETA - guess this would work better for the primaries. :/
Old 12-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #84
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
That could end up with a prez and a VP who hate each other's guts and have completely opposite positions. Nothing would get done except the hurling of childish insults. As a team it would be disfunctional.

You already have that. It is called congress.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #85
classicman

So whats your point, Zen?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #86
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
That could end up with a prez and a VP who hate each other's guts and have completely opposite positions.
It's called learning from history. We already made that mistake long ago. And stopped doing it that way.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:53 PM   #87
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

... that independently electing the Prez and Veep is not a good idea. They have to be a team. Prez nominates Veep candidate, despite its flaws, is better.

I acknowledge the issue with McCain being a plausible prez but Palin being a ludicrous Veep, and the desire to have him but not her. However, if the prez-candidate can't pick a good Veep, they're already showing poor judgement.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #88
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

"As a team it would be disfunctional"

Good.

Gum up the works...slow that train down (even more).

Effective, efficient, government is a chain (leash) around a citizen's neck.

If the 'governors' insist on being 'full-time' then let them war with one another most of the time and leave you and me and him and her 'alone'.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #89
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
That could end up with a prez and a VP who hate each other's guts and have completely opposite positions. Nothing would get done except the hurling of childish insults. As a team it would be disfunctional.

You already have that. It is called congress.
On CBS Sunday Morning last week Ben Stein said the current zombie craze is due to Congress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Stein
A few weeks ago, a close friend came to me and wanted advice about putting iron bars in front of his windows. I asked him why he needed bars on his windows in Beverly Hills in the first place. "So the zombies try to come into my house, I can keep them out," he said. "You just need the right kind of iron."

My friend is a bit scattered, so he never quite finished the conversation.

But here's the amazing part: When I tell other friends about this, they say things like, "What kind of iron bars did he get?" Or, "What did he do to make the zombies mad at him?"

No one except my sensible wife said, "What's he talking about? Zombies? The walking dead? There is no such thing. That's voodoo, it's not real." But my wife is in the minority (at least in my crowd).

The Internet is jammed with stories and survival guides about how to deal with zombie attacks. My son reads them avidly.

Where did this belief in zombies suddenly come from, exploding and growing upon the nation?

I think I know.

The first branch of the United States government, the most important deliberative body on the planet, the United States Congress - THEY are the inspiration for the zombie craze.

Now obviously, no one but a madman would REALLY think that iron bars could keep a Member of Congress out of a taxpayer's home. That's not what this story is about.

It's about the congressional walking dead.

They get elected. They might LOOK as if they're alive, might LOOK as if they respond to stimuli like living people, but they're actually in another realm, where crises present themselves and the zombies just stagger past them, accomplishing little or nothing. The debt crisis doesn't get resolved on time? So what? Time doesn't mean a lot to a zombie.

Again, I don't really want to talk about bars and senators in the same breath, but maybe they need a little something - a little pick-me-up, just something that would give them a ZAP so they actually get something done about the deficit or mortgages or jobs.

But I'm not sure you CAN wake them up, because they're not sleeping. They're, well, not quite in the land of the living. And they keep coming at us ... and getting closer and closer and ... I'm scared!
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162...sional-undead/
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #90
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
Good.

Gum up the works...slow that train down (even more).
Yeah, because if we need some decisive, urgent action, we'll be screwed.