The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #8821
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

It's round here somewhere.
Not laid out specifically in black and white.
Happy Thread is not the place for it anyway.

Suffice to say I am happy and healthy/ ier and intend to stay that way.

Last edited by Sundae; 01-09-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #8822
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Psssst... Thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #8823
glatt

As I was driving to an eye appointment this morning, I kept hearing a weird clunk coming from the back of the car, especially going over bumps. Kind of a rattle clunk noise, like something was loose. But the car was behaving normally. I rolled the window down to listen as I drove along, and kept hearing it whenever I went over a little bump or dip in the road. Then, about half a mile after leaving our driveway, I heard a louder clunk, and a rattle, and then heard something drop off the car and clatter onto the pavement. Traffic was heavy and there was nowhere safe to pull over, so I kept driving, but the car sounded and felt normal. I drove another mile to the appointment. When I pulled into a parking space I kind of looked under the car, but everything seemed fine. Weird.

So I went inside and got my eyes checked out. My eyes are the same. That's good. They didn't get any worse. But they are typical middle aged eyes, so they could be better.

So on the drive home, traffic was much lighter. I made a U turn where the car lost whatever it was, and parked the car. Then I walked along the road, to see if I could find what dropped off the car. I found a really nice pair of professional quality pliers lying in the gutter. I guess when they fixed our rear brakes recently to pass inspection, they left some pliers up in the suspension. The shop was only two blocks from our house, and my wife must not have noticed the clunking when she picked the car up from the mechanic. This was the first time we drove it since then.

I'll get under the car and look at the brakes when the ground dries out a little bit, but the car drove and stopped just fine, even backing up fast. We almost never drive this car, so there's no rush to inspect these brakes.

The pliers are nice Snap-On pliers. Better than any other pliers I own. Do I return them? Or keep them?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #8824
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I keep all tools I find lying on the street. If you don't want them, I'll take them off your hands.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #8825
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You can't even be sure that's what you heard, might be a coincidence. Keep 'em, any mechanic that doesn't inventory his/her tools at the end of the job, deserves to loose them. Not just to keep from having to replace tools, they can do serious damage to the vehicle... or in this case, a vehicle following.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #8826
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I probably would return them. Especially if the mechanic was local.

You can't buy goodwill.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #8827
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Big puppy dog eyes WWJD? Big puppy dog eyes
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #8828
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

On the other hand, returning them might get whatever technician who was stupid enough to leave them there fired. He wouldn't appreciate the narc, I bet.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #8829
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Most mechanics own their own tools. Especially something like pliers. He could jsut go to the shop and say "I'd like to talk to the guy who worked on my car for a moment." Then ask him if he's missing any tools. See where it goes from there.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #8830
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Say you found them under your seat. Must have fallen out of his pocket.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #8831
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

If he didn't check for his pliers, what else didn't he check?

Shove the pliers back in the suspension, take the car back saying it sounds funny.

Or, like, keep em, as payment in kind for the discount he owes you for not having done his job thoroughly.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:35 AM   #8832
Jaydaan
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

It has been 11 days since my dorky dogs ate the mouse poison (and threw it up with help from myself and my son)
Not one symptom, not one bit of bruising or bleeding, or anything! The vet said I caught it faster than most people, and was impressed I even had times from ingestion to well.. yuck LOL. hubby said when it happened we would not have an issue because of how fast we reacted... but there was still a little bit of "what if" in the back of my mind. The usual time frame was 7-10 days, max, so I am now sure they are fine.

Its also been one week since Loki was hit by that car. He didn't even limp, or whimper or have any bruises or hurts it seems. I saw my 85 lbs dog go flying in the air... but apparently sprinting boxers on snow... bounce! I would not have ever guessed it, but they do. At least this one did, this time and I for one will make sure there is not a repeat if at all possible, thank you very much.

Mama on the other hand is walking with a cane, and in pain most times. But thats another issue. The dogs are healthy, no side effects and no extra vet bills. Yay Loki and Aesa.
Jaydaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:50 AM   #8833
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Excellent news! So happy!

For myself? It's 1:49 and I have another 135 pages to go.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:01 AM   #8834
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Great news Jay. I was going to post asking for an update, but you beat me to it

Did you get Loki checked out for unseen damage after the car hit? I only ask because my Pilau got himself into a couple of nasty situations. Once he tried to herd a 4x4 car and ended up half sliding under the car between the front and rear wheels. Fortunately, they were already slowing for a junction, so he just got clipped by the back wheel. Seemed fine, no injuries. Couple of years later, he fell of a cliff. Only a small one, maybe a 20 foot drop. Scared the shit out of me and mum, but he bounced back up seemingly fine.

It was later on, when he was older that he started to have problems, and those accidents had most likely caused minor injuries we weren't aware of but which became weaknesses and sites for arthritis and further injury. We probably couldn't have done much had we known, but we could perhaps have got him some anti inflammatories and enforced some rest to promote better healing.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #8835
Griff
still says videotape

Some dogs just handle that stuff. When I was a kid "my" dog got hit a number of times, he died of very old age.