The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-13-2005, 11:31 PM   #61
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Quote:
I, too, have been known to reuse ziploc bags, even washing them. Drying is definitely a problem, though.
I can help you on this one. First of all, it's only worth it to save the Ziplock and freezer storage ones, the others are too thin to mess with. Do not use hot water to wash the bags, it makes them turn milky colored. Wash inside and out with a soapy sponge and rinse carefully to get all the soap out, dry by putting a clean dishtowel inside the bag and pat the outside against it with a second clean towel. Then stand them upside down on the counter until they cool and air out thoroughly. Doing the bags last thing before you go to bed is best so they don't end up in the way when you need the counter to fix dinner.

Lest you wonder, I learned this from my o/c Momster, but if I do say so myself, MY bags look much better than hers when I get finished :p I will draw the line at washing the rubber bands from the newspaper before I'll use them, though. She puts hers in the dishwasher so they will be sterilized! And yes, she gets a Kleenex and wipes off the newspaper too before she will read it. I just wash my hands afterwards, good enough.

Last edited by Tonchi; 10-13-2005 at 11:35 PM.
Tonchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:48 AM   #62
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The link works fine for me ... the main site is http://www.gaiam.com

try going there. Search for "countertop bag dryer"

Perhaps the problem is the site detects browser? I used Mozilla, and sometimes IE gags on links that were generated in Moz.

I clicked around in IE ... so here's another copy of the link.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:11 AM   #63
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Try this link.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:27 AM   #64
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

wolf, dar, thank you for the new links. The all work now, even the original link. I guess that gremlin has moved on to a different machine now.

I love seeing things like this, simple solutions to problems. I must say that the DIYer in me says, hmm half a dozen chopsticks, hey! I can use the collection of orphans, a base block, and 60 seconds with the drill and I can use the other $18.00 for a couple of large pizzas and some pop for movie night. But then I am a cheap b*stard after all.

Tonchi: Thanks for the tip. That's a good one. I like the idea of using two towels, one in and one out. I usually put hot/warm soapy water in, sometimes with the sponge, zip it shut and shake it. Then rinse with warm water shaking zipped the same way. I'm looking forward to trying the new drying technique.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:59 PM   #65
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Welcome I hope you're more efficient than I am because I usually don't get around to washing the bags until there is a pile of 20 on my counter so that they keep sliding into the sink and getting even grubbier. Drying them is the easiest part. Don't use PAPER towels, they scratch up the bags, but if you don't have any clean cotten ones handy you can use the VIVA kind in a pinch because they are much softer. I haven't bought a box of NEW plastic storage bags for years, not since I needed the really large ones to put the loaves of bread in when I was on a bread-making kick.

BTW, not a good idea to zip the bag up and shake it while filled with water. The combination of weight and heat can separate the sealed edges in one of these bags very easily after they have been washed a few times. You will end up in water from the knees down when it splits

Last edited by Tonchi; 10-14-2005 at 11:04 PM.
Tonchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 11:24 PM   #66
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

YO! I just realized that here we are talking about plastic food bags, after a very logical segue from plastic trash bags, so I wanna go back to there again with a really helpful hint. Those monster leaf bags or the 32-45 gallon size trash bags are even more useful for storing stuff in your garage or rent-a-space. I put suitcases, kettle-corn or dog chow tins, birdcages, dog beds, kitty litter boxes/scoops, empty aquariums, waders, tents and posts, practically everything you need to get out of the way will fit nicely into a leaf or garbage bag. Seal down the edges with packing tape to mold the bag around your item, write what it is on a piece of masking tape, and stick it to the bag where you can see it easily, then toss the thing on the top of the pile in your garage. When you need the item again, it will be free of dust, spider webs, or small crawly things. You rotate that bag you just unloaded back to trash duty and repack the item in a fresh one if needed. Living in Fresno, everything is always covered with a thick layer of dust and the black widow is our State Bird, so this is an excellent solution
Old 10-18-2005, 09:06 AM   #67
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
so....i bought a 65 gallon trash can...
Well, any news? Is it helping?
Old 10-19-2005, 09:29 AM   #68
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

well.......i filled it with so much heavy shit from my flooded basement that the trash men broke the damn handle off of it tring to lift it, gave up and left it full of trash......so, i'd say no. just wait till i get my hands on that cat. ....just kidding, tw, you cocksmoker.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:20 AM   #69
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Did they take the handle? Did it have the requisite bags tied to it?
Old 10-20-2005, 09:24 AM   #70
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I was able to repair the handle, but they took the friggin bag, the jerks.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:34 AM   #71
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

This is becoming high drama. So they broke your can, took the bag for payment, and didn't take the trash. That kind of idiocy takes hard work.

My current trash collection people are incompetent. At first they were incompetent because they couldn't remember to pick up my trash. Now they are incompetent because they remember to pick up my trash but forget to bill me. I like this second version of incompetence very much.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:38 AM   #72
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My recycling bucket disappears at least once a month. Sometimes I find it at a random neighbor's house halfway down the street, usually I never find it at all. The guys at the closest recycle bucket distribution place (the local firestation) think I'm a complete liar but there's nothing they can do but keep giving me buckets. None of my other neighbors seem to have this problem. I can't think what I ever might have done to piss those guys off...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:26 AM   #73
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I'm not all that pissed about the $2 bag. it's gonna suck splitting that big trash can down to manageable size, though
Old 10-20-2005, 10:30 AM   #74
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It would seem that my suggestion of peeing on the bag is now ideal.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:37 AM   #75
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

yeah, but you know they wear gloves. I'm sure they hate me because all of my trash bags have holes in them from that cat. it's a vicious circle. i'm just a victim of circumstance, I tells ya. weep for me