The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 10-11-2004, 07:14 AM   #61
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

This whole thing makes me uncomfortable, and here's why. In 1998 I advised a candidate who went into a televised statewide debate for Pennsylvania Governor. His major opposition was Tom Ridge - that one, the guy who became head of Homeland Security. Ridge had this enormous device behind his ear during the debate and we were certain he was getting advice from offstage. We said so publicly. Turned out he's almost deaf and has always worn this same hearing aid.

I never feared to attack the opposition hard for things that were real, but that mistake made me feel awful.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:21 AM   #62
Griff
still says videotape

Ouch. Probably combat related hearing loss with Ridge as well? Not something you want to fool with. In Bushes case hearing loss would more likely be from passing out by a speaker at a frat party... not that I'd be familiar with scenarios like that.

Last edited by Griff; 10-11-2004 at 10:00 AM. Reason: knew there was a c missing somewhere
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:24 AM   #63
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Or maybe not. The mikes were podium-mounted.

FWIW, in important live audio scenarios there are often multiple mics ready to go, in case one fails.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:13 AM   #64
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Indeed, and, as per the debate agreement, there was a backup podium mike identical to the primary one.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:44 PM   #65
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Turned out he's almost deaf and has always worn this same hearing aid
But that doesn't mean they didn't put a reciever in it.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:03 PM   #66
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
But that doesn't mean they didn't put a reciever in it.
Nah, George gets his messages thru the fillings in his teeth like everyone else.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:46 PM   #67
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I am still amazed at the list of people who have come out against Bush. While Zel Miller, a seemingly crazed ex-Dixiecrat, endorsed Bush at the Republican convention, Kerry is getting support from the sons of Presidents Reagan and Eisenhower, not to mention numerous military, cabinet, and other officials from previous Democratic and Republican administrations.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:27 PM   #68
wolf
lobber of scimitars

From tonight ... rough paraphrase ... "looking at my opponent, you see that Ted Kennedy is the Conservative Senator from Massachussetts."

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:52 PM   #69
Happy Monkey

Not true of course, but the "Most Liberal" label has been thoroughly debunked elsewhere.

On the other hand, Bush didn't remember making this quote:
Quote:
13 march 2003 press conference: Q: Mr. President, in your speeches now, you rarely talk or mention Osama bin Laden. Why is that? [...]

BUSH: ... I don't know where he is. Nor -- you know, I just don't spend that much time on him really, to be honest with you [...]

Q: Do you believe the threat that bin Laden posed won't truly be eliminated until he is found either dead of alive?

BUSH: As I say, we hadn't heard much from him. And I wouldn't necessarily say he's at the center of any command structure. And, you know, again, I don't know where he is.

I'll repeat what I said: I truly am not that concerned about him.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 10-13-2004, 11:02 PM   #70
marichiko

"Being lectured by the president on fiscal responsibility is a little bit like Tony Soprano talking to me about law and order," Kerry said, referring to the murderous mob boss in the U.S. television program "The Sopranos."
Old 10-13-2004, 11:05 PM   #71
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
I am still amazed at the list of people who have come out against Bush. While Zel Miller, a seemingly crazed ex-Dixiecrat, endorsed Bush at the Republican convention, Kerry is getting support from the sons of Presidents Reagan and Eisenhower, not to mention numerous military, cabinet, and other officials from previous Democratic and Republican administrations.
Well, Ronnie Jr. always did sort of tread a waaaayyyy different path from his dad, so that's not a big surprise.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:01 AM   #72
Happy Monkey

Here's a transcript with in-line fact checks.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 10-14-2004, 09:59 AM   #73
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Q: Suddenly we find ourselves with a severe shortage of flu vaccine. How did that happen?

BUSH: Bob, we relied upon a company out of England to provide about half of the flu vaccines for the United States citizen, and it turned out that the vaccine they were producing was contaminated. And so we took the right action and didn't allow contaminated medicine into our country.

We're working with Canada to hopefully -- that they'll produce a -- help us realize the vaccine necessary to make sure our citizens have got flu vaccinations during this upcoming season.
But Americans shouldn't be allowed to buy drugs from Canada until there are procedures in place to detect contaminated medicine from foreign sources.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 10-14-2004, 10:11 AM   #74
flippant
*shameless....so stop trying so hard....*-me

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Nah, George gets his messages thru the fillings in his teeth like everyone else.

OOOPS! I've never needed a filling. Maybe this is why I always get the feeling that Dubl-ya and Cheney are secretly knowing a lot of things I don't know.
flippant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 11:16 AM   #75
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
"Being lectured by the president on fiscal responsibility is a little bit like Tony Soprano talking to me about law and order," Kerry said, referring to the murderous mob boss in the U.S. television program "The Sopranos."
Was that not the BEST line? LMAO! Sycamore and I just cracked up laughing.

GO KERRY!

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote