The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

View Poll Results: This thread be a waste?
Yeah, boyeeeee 4 23.53%
Nah. I'm bored. 13 76.47%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2002, 09:57 AM   #61
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Regarding CitizenX - I never saw it before this reference, but a dead commercially-created community is not a surprise. I believe it's very difficult in our current climate for a commercial enterprise to develop a community. Non-profits, that I'll buy, but a for-profit company has to serve a higher master than the community, and that will always be the case.

Web sites want to be huge "destinations" - or at least all their owners want them to become such. But the economics of the web doesn't reward that. A site becomes big, all it means is that it needs more bandwidth and more horsepower. Instead, I wish there were 10,000 Cellars for people to choose from. General-interest forums where you can talk to anyone about anything. As it is, Usenet and the web have conspired somehow to sway forums towards specific interests in order to remain small.

There is one thing about K5 that I would like to implement, and that is community voting on the IotD. I hope to do that sometime this month.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 12:47 PM   #62
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
I miss some of those old-school users too. Blu is alive and well and living in Jersey; he showed up here early on but didn't stick around, and that really bugs me, I think he is one cool dude. Back in the day he was the very worst speller ever, much worse than Jag's hurried typos. Somehow he spelled "exhaust" with a Z.
You can harp on the spelling if you want to, but what I will always, remember about blu's posts was his knack for placing commas in completely, inappropriate locations.

Well I am another denizen from the BBS days come back.. it was probably early 1992 when I signed on the the old Waffle system for the first time.

I was reading an article about the Internet Wayback machine, and I was thinking of a web site I like to see an older version of, and something just posessed me to put in www.cellar.org, and, well, here I am.

Wolf said:
Quote:
ruthie (TITS! sorry ruthie!),
ROFL.. thanks for reminding me of that.. I am more or less responsible for starting that as I recall.

Last edited by SteveDallas; 01-23-2002 at 12:56 PM.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:31 PM   #63
Shocker
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

hey this is an old thread
Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:54 PM   #64
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

NO SHIT!
Old 05-02-2006, 12:41 AM   #65
Ibby
erika

GASP!
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:31 AM   #66
Flint
Snowflake

Years ago, during the P2P feeding frenzy, I migrated from Napster to AudioGalaxy, a community-based filetrading site with private groups and public message boards where people could discuss their musical interests. After some time I found that the General Discussion board on AG (Audiogalaxy) was a wacky community in and of itself, and in fact this board (and many smaller peripheral boards) survived and thrived for years and years after the RIAA shut filetrading down at AG. Those crazy AG people wouldn't go away, we were now a family! Recently the boards at AG locked up due to lack of maintenance (we're not really sure why the owner even keeps the site going at all) and I was given a link to this place, to help fill the daily void of eight hours. Subsequently the board is back up, but many have migrated to AG clone sites or other boards such as this one.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote