The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 03-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #61
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Classic has already politely declined the position.

(And rightly so if the model doesn't work as well as we thought)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #62
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
I've got it ...

Teh Cellar Bizness ...

classic can sell, UT can do the actual work, and I can make both of you feel better about yourselves and keep you from killing unruly clients. We'd all be putting our best skills to use.
Practice this phrase "Bialystock and Bloom"
Old 03-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #63
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

His main store is at Rhawn and Frankford in Holmesburg. He has one in Bensalem, and another near Red Lion rd where sycamore used to live. i can't remember the name of that town.

His store is actually named "Cash for Gold" lol. he's very creative.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #64
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That's awesome. Everybody uses "cash for gold" now. But actually using the name "Cash for Gold" for the business will give him a unique SEO advantage.

Quote:
and another near Red Lion rd where sycamore used to live. i can't remember the name of that town.
Warminster? There's a Cash for Gold in Warminster, but I only knew Syc's place in NE Philly.

Well I have a ton of advice for him, as well as what he should be doing with Google, not just with the website possibility. As long as he's willing to deal with a fat guy in jeans and a collared shirt. If he wants a sales guy who can dress up, I'll have to send my business partner.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #65
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Classic has already politely declined the position.

(And rightly so if the model doesn't work as well as we thought)
I actually pitched the idea to several contractors whom I had done business with in the past.

I need to pitch it to the right people. Therein lies the problem for me.
My contacts from my previous position were not the right ones.

FTR - I saved the PDF's and will offer in the future.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #66
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Quote:
That's awesome. Everybody uses "cash for gold" now. But actually using the name "Cash for Gold" for the business will give him a unique SEO advantage.

Warminster? There's a Cash for Gold in Warminster, but I only knew Syc's place in NE Philly.

Well I have a ton of advice for him, as well as what he should be doing with Google, not just with the website possibility. As long as he's willing to deal with a fat guy in jeans and a collared shirt. If he wants a sales guy who can dress up, I'll have to send my business partner.
he's a fat guy in jeans and a collared shirt too. I spoke to him, and he said his partner had some reason that he DIDN'T want a website. I'll have to keep pestering him a while, i think. stay tuned.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #67
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhelm View Post
he's a fat guy in jeans and a collared shirt too. I spoke to him, and he said his partner had some reason that he DIDN'T want a website.
If he doesn't own the trademark, he may not want to attract web searches from those who do.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #68
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhelm View Post
When we were young, Shelby worked at a fru fru salon. they had a case of hairbrushes and other accessories. One day, she doubled the prices of all of the brushes... from $25 to $49.99 or something...

they sold very quickly. part of perception of value comes from the retail price. especially if the customer is not an expert in what they are buying.
I don't know if this is urban legend or not, but there's the story about a guy putting, say, an old lawnmower out on his curb, with a sign that it was free. No one took it. He put a price on it and it was stolen right away.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #69
gvidas
Hoodoo Guru

I've been calling a lot of industrial supply places this week, getting quotes on steel angle, sheet metal, and refractory materials. Not your usual customer service field. I'm going to pick up the first round of the orders in a little bit, so we'll see how it all plays out. But, thus far, phone interactions only, there is an inverse correlation between the quality of their website and the quality of their phone service and prices.

This guy seems like the most straightforward place to order high-temp refractory in Metro Detroit: http://www.k-industrial.com/

This guy is either insane, or just extremely cheap for sheet metal fab (He quoted me $35 on something a steel shop in the 'burbs said would be $202, 5 working days -- I had priced the material alone to build it myself at $75): http://www.ldssheetmetal.com/

Probably the two worst websites I've seen in a while.

UT, it's not in your pamphlet as I remember it: what's your policy on $ and # of updates / year, etc, if it were a business wanting to have a regularly-added-to portfolio of work?
gvidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #70
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

For most of our one-page customers we just say updates are free, unless you go crazy about it.

If they have a specific need, I can build a password-protected administration page where they can, say, update their monthly message or whatnot. I'd probably say $30/hour if they had some sort of custom problem that requires more design work every month.