The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #61
racer4536

red apples make me wanna shyt.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #62
rkzenrage

My mom gets sick with gas and the trots with red bell peppers... I wonder what does that... other things high in fiber don't?
Old 02-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #63
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I don't think this is the proper forum to discuss your perversions you picked up in France.
I predict you are thinking of the joke whose punchline is "Yeah, and I wish it was dark."
Old 02-04-2007, 10:29 PM   #64
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Red Delicious Apples float in water, exactly like a bowling ball doesn't.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:26 PM   #65
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
Red Delicious Apples float in water, exactly like a bowling ball doesn't.
WITCHES!
Old 02-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #66
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
I predict you are thinking of the joke whose punchline is "Yeah, and I wish it was dark."
Nope, haven't heard that one.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #67
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Nope, haven't heard that one.
Meet me over at the humor thread.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #68
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
"Fujis are good too" [/mocking effeminate voice]

Gentleman, the time for talk is over. Now is the time for action.
Has Flint always been insane? Or, did he just 'turn' one day?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:10 PM   #69
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Ah, yes, apples…

Our supermarkets have this habit of displaying nice, fresh, crunchy, juicy apples during the first week of a promotion, but then these are suddenly replaced by ones that are fresh… out of storage! They still look good, but the act of eating is a gruesome exercise – all pap and no flavour - absolutely no modicum of eating enjoyment is delivered at all, for that matter.

Red Delicious, howoever, seem to achieve gruesome status whether fresh off the tree or fresh off the storage rack.

But all is not lost! Our local Waitrose (supermarket division of the John Lewis Partnership – ‘never knowingly cheap’ or something similar is their motto) has started selling a US derived variety known as ‘Empire’ – absolutely no disappointment so far and I’ve been buying them for over two months now. And they’re predominantly red in colour as well!
Old 02-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #70
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
With the popular Red Delicious and McIntosh for parents, Empire apples were destined to be a hit. It's a sweet-tart combination that's great for everything. The New York State Agricultural Experiment Station in Geneva introduced this new variety in 1966.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:55 PM   #71
Flint
Snowflake

the day I was born, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Has Flint always been insane? Or, did he just 'turn' one day?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:42 AM   #72
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I like an honest man, Flint. Good for you.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:05 PM   #73
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I've never liked red apples, but then I've always favoured content over looks anyway.

I love Braeburn - can't get a better apple as far as I'm concerned.

RK - I suffered a very bad reaction to red jalapenos (written up here - it's a bit grim) and yet they're supposed to be milder than the green ones. I wonder if something in the colour does affect some people?

I'll look out for Honeycrisp, but I find the name a little off-putting as I'm not one for sweet apples.

I miss going to food fairs, which I did every year when I was in marketing. I discovered Jalapeno Tabasco and Braeburn apples at the BBC Food & Drink Show. Companies launching or promoting food would give out free samples which I'm sure was a more cost effective way of gaining new customers than TV advertising.... That and I'm a greedy pig who's a sucker for free samples of course!
Old 02-07-2007, 08:55 PM   #74
Ronald Cherrycoke
Master Locutor

Curb Their Enthusiasm Font Size:
By Alex Avery :

On HBO's "Curb Your Enthusiasm," the female lead character portrays a lawyer for the Natural Resources Defense Council. It is appropriate that this show is a comedy, because NRDC has long been a bad national joke. How are we to take seriously the claims of an organization that for the last decade has used baseless fear and science fiction to get the public's attention? Its tactics are reminiscent of the little boy who cried wolf, except the apocryphal shepherd boy got only three chances. NRDC, despite dozens of attempts to needlessly scare the American public, has yet to receive the deaf ear it deserves.

In fact, the Environmental Protection Agency is bending itself into a pretzel to accommodate this gang of activist lawyers. This week, under a consent decree with NRDC, the agency held a special four-day Scientific Advisory Panel (SAP) to review the supposed impacts of atrazine on the sexual development of frogs. Atrazine is an important agricultural herbicide, widely used for decades.

While one day of the 4-day SAP was set aside for public comment, the NRDC was inexplicably given a separate day of its own to bloviate. Moreover, the NRDC's pet scientist used up nearly six hours of the public's comment day. (His research is, unsurprisingly, the only research implicating atrazine in frog abnormalities.)

Ten years ago, NRDC perpetrated one of the biggest scams ever on the American public, claiming that a product called alar, used in growing apples, was the "most potent cancer-causing agent in our food supply." NRDC ranted that alar was a "cancer-causing agent used on food that the EPA knows is going to cause cancer for thousands of children." But it wasn't true, and NRDC knew it. Alar, it turns out, was far less a cancer risk than tap water or peanut butter

Why did they do it? According to boasts from NRDC's public relations firm, it was all an elaborate (and highly successful) fundraising scheme. When their lies were exposed -- sadly too late to save mass parental anguish over supposedly poisonous apple juice or to save apple farmers the millions of dollars in market losses -- the NRDC equivocated. "We never said there was an immediate danger," they said as they laid blame on journalists who "muddled" their report and the public who "overreacted."

Like alar, the agricultural herbicide atrazine is a high-level target of the NRDC. These activists claim atrazine is a known carcinogen -- when they know it is not.

In 1994, the EPA initiated a special review of atrazine, among other herbicides. Since that time Syngenta, the primary manufacturer of atrazine, has provided the EPA with more than 200 studies that demonstrate that atrazine is safe for humans and the environment. In June 2000, the EPA's atrazine SAP met and concluded that atrazine does not pose a cancer risk to humans.

But the constant intervention of NRDC into the regulatory process has carried on the review of atrazine for nearly a decade. Last year, one college researcher claimed that atrazine at low doses (but not at high doses) was affecting the sexual development of frogs. He became an instant media darling. Yet three separate groups of university research scientists have been unable to replicate his results. Replication is the foundation of sound science. Nevertheless, based on that one scientist's unreplicated research, the NRDC demanded and got the EPA to convene yet another SAP to examine the impact of atrazine on amphibians. That was this weeks' meeting.

In advance of the meeting, the EPA's Office of Pesticide Programs posted its opinion that "The current weight-of-evidence does not show that atrazine produces consistent, reproducible effects across the range of exposure concentrations and amphibian species tested." On Thursday, after the SAP, the EPA says "atrazine exposure did appear to be having some impact on gonadal effects" of frogs. Nothing has changed about the evidence from a week ago. It is still inconsistent, unreplicated, and illogical.

The SAP will apparently recommend to the EPA yet more research into possible impacts of atrazine on frogs.

Why is the environmental protest industry allowed to manipulate the process this way? The NRDC is not a grassroots organization funded by concerned citizens throwing in their twenty dollars apiece to save the environment. They are a well-funded army of lawyers ($4 million in taxpayer funds from the EPA alone) that uses our legal system as a means to an end. The first lawsuit filed by NRDC against atrazine was in 1986. And when NRDC can't win in court, they take their case to the media, where they are not required to swear to tell the whole truth. The alar smear campaign exposes their underhanded tactics.

Hundreds of studies conducted by responsible scientists confirm that atrazine is safe for humans, safe for the environment and valuable to farmers. On matters of the environment and human safety, isn't the word of sound science considerably more valid than that of lawyers?

Alex Avery is director of research and education at the Hudson Institute's Center for Global Food Issues in Churchville, Virginia.

http://www.techcentralstation.com/index.html
Ronald Cherrycoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:20 AM   #75
glatt

Um, OK.

I was just eating a fuji apple the other day, and it was good. But not as good as a gala. So I'd say that gala apples are the best. Followed by fuji or golden delicious. Not sure which. I need to do a taste test sometime.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote