The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-15-2006, 08:15 AM   #61
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcGee
mmmm..... how about Orlando? by Value Jet.....
I'm not licenced to fly turbine-powered aircraft.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:13 PM   #62
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Even before this 'Brit foiled' plot, I have been hearing (and have not supporting facts) that the private 'business jet' business is booming. With so much security and so much time waiting in airports, the private jet business flying from Teterboro and NE Philly is said to be a major growth industry. This only because commercial airlines service has become so inconvenient and so challenging.

Do numbers or other trends to confirm this?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #63
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
I don't know whether this is indicative of my own overpowering cynicism or the general mistrust with which our government and security forces are viewed generally these days....But the first thing that crossed my mind was "yeah right. I'll believe it when I see someone in court".
Here come the charges. So far it looks very real, with actual physical evidence, bomb-making materials, and martyrdom videos.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #64
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yep. At the same time, this week, I saw three apolgies in national newspapers for wrongly *identifying* terrosist suspects.

Yes, they might actually have foiled a plot this time. But there have been over 400 muslim men arrested in the last 3 years on suspicion of involvement in 'terrorist' activities and of them less than 20 have been charged with anything. Of those 20, most have been charged wth unrelated crimes (stuff that the cops found in their flats or houses during their fishing expedition such as potplants or pirate cds.)

Maybe this one was real.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:43 PM   #65
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

OMG. I can't believe you all arrested innocent Muslim men.

Shame, shame on you.

I'm waiting, Dana, et. al., to fly my airline.

You're full of it. even with evidence you refuse to believe. Good luck to you. When radical Muslims say they hate the West they mean YOU, too. YOU. you all live in a world where muslims hate only the US.

They are coming for you, too.

Savor that for a bit.

I'm sure, Nay, I am CERTAIN, that radical muslim means you, danaC, and all those 'enlightened' females (who so laughably think muslim cares about them--) are at risk! Sign on up! We welcome your sacrifice! Where do we strap on the bomb? the cloak of holes?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 08-21-2006 at 05:51 PM.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:01 PM   #66
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

mmmmm..... does your plane fly out of Ohio City, Brianna?

if so, maybe I'll pass....
Old 08-22-2006, 03:39 AM   #67
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

Quote:
You're full of it. even with evidence you refuse to believe. Good luck to you. When radical Muslims say they hate the West they mean YOU, too. YOU. you all live in a world where muslims hate only the US.

Ya know what Brianna? The Muslims say exactly the same about the West. Hey, your own Chief has repeatedly told that in his "Axis of Evil" speeches, the Iraq invasion and with his ridiculous "Bring em on" quotes. But what else can you expect from a President whose intelligence goes as deep as a saucer?
Old 08-22-2006, 04:01 AM   #68
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippikos
But what else can you expect from a President whose intelligence goes as deep as a saucer?
Shut the FUCK up!

Stop insulting saucers.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:01 AM   #69
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram
Shut the FUCK up!
Stop insulting saucers.
Too late. Too many of us so hate saucers as to have elected that mental midget.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:51 AM   #70
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Question: How many new terrorist plots will need to be uncovered to ensure a Republican triumph in Novermber? I would not be shocked to see no one ever convicted in the (alleged) plot by British muslims to bring down planes. But by the time the cases are dismissed, another white girl will be abducted and killed and the media will not pay any attention.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:30 AM   #71
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss62
Question: How many new terrorist plots will need to be uncovered to ensure a Republican triumph in Novermber?
That depends on how much cred the Dems are able to build around security issues. Tough row to hoe.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:36 AM   #72
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss62
Question: How many new terrorist plots will need to be uncovered to ensure a Republican triumph in Novermber?
Still waiting for that al Qaeda attack on the Prudential Building in Newark NJ. Oh. Information on that attack was obtained by torture in Guantanamo. Torture is so acceptable and obtains such reliable information that we went to Orange Alert. Clearly the Prudential Building will be attacked. After call, credibility is George Jr.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:41 AM   #73
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
That depends on how much cred the Dems are able to build around security issues. Tough row to hoe.
Democrats cannot even decide to be for the war or against the war. Sound like John Kerry playing politician? Democrats under Nancy Pelosi are so disfunctional as to not even frame an obvious issue - George Jr corporate welfare for the drug industry in a latest modification to Medicaid. Democrats first have to learn how to use the hoe - they are currently that disfunctional.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:11 AM   #74
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Quote:
I would not be shocked to see no one ever convicted in the (alleged) plot by British muslims to bring down planes.
I really don't think you can argue that there was no plot, or that it was all orchestrated by the US government in order to boost support. Well, not without decending into conspiracy theories more ridiculous than government mind-control devices.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:51 AM   #75
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Shame, shame on you.

I'm waiting, Dana, et. al., to fly my airline.

Savor that for a bit.

I'm sure, Nay, I am CERTAIN, that radical muslim means you, danaC, and all those 'enlightened' females (who so laughably think muslim cares about them--) are at risk! Sign on up! We welcome your sacrifice! Where do we strap on the bomb? the cloak of holes?
a) I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that radical muslim groups hold as much hatred for my country as they do for yours; as evidenced by the London bombings. I have been under no illusion that we can stand 'shoulder to shoulder' and yet somehow be seen as entirely different and therefore deserving of different treatment:P

b) At what point did you get the impression that I thought radical Moslem men had any sympathy whatsoever for my feminist leanings? I would imagine your average radical Moslem, or even not-so-radical Moslem (along with quite a few other faiths) would consider my feminism disturbing, possibly revolting and certainly not something deserving of respect. Does this therefore mean I should develop an abiding hatred of Moslems?

c) Britain is clearly a target for terrorist acts. Any country engaged in the current 'Crusade' has made themselves a target by their involvement. To be entirely honest, terrorism isn't really a new phenomenon in the UK and the level of security hysteria seems entirely at odds with the level of the threat.

This does not mean that I don't see the threat.

Of course there is the possibility of this threat having been a genuine one. The fact that my (and many others) first response was ....yeah, believe it when you give me proof......is indicative of how many false alarms and fishing expeditions our security services have indulged in. Often these occur close enough to a vote on new security measures as to raise an eyebrow or two.

Last edited by DanaC; 08-22-2006 at 11:55 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote