The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-21-2006, 05:34 AM   #61
Tin Man

Thanks for the welcome, Brianna. I can't post too often, I don't own a computer (no, I'm not a member of the Plymouth Brethren! I have clients who are, and they maintain computers, Internet, televisions are the work of the Devil and have none them in their businesses or homes! Funny how they don't mind doing business with people who do use them. Hypocrites!), I have to use my Mac at work. This is a great site; lots of diffrent topics, opinions, attitudes, thoughts and dreams. To my mind, it's the things we don't have in common that make for interesting and stimulating chat. It's in our 'differences' that we have in commonality. I want the freedom to be offended and be offensive. To be stimulated and stimulate. To laugh and to joke. And that is what I seem to have found here in the Cellar. Ta!
Old 07-21-2006, 12:18 PM   #62
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Then we only tolerate those who agree with variations of what we believe in. Intolerant.
oh come on, You are taking the term 'to tolerate' and 'intolerant' into that 'politically correct' area that makes me want to hurl. Where is just plain ole respecting someones wishes huh?

It's the area where the truth gets tamped down so that nobodys feelings are ever hurt.For instance I see this.Imagine like Alternate said a rowdy bunch goes into a coffee shop and starts swearing. The owner of the coffee shop says " Excuse me sir. Please do not swear in my establishment or I'll have to ask you to leave." "You are disturbing my paying patrons" then you or someone like you goes out there picketing the sidewalk huh? That's what it seems you are saying. Anything goes for the sake of 'warm fuzzies' that are nothing really than a backdoor politics for somethings rude. I could be wrong. I have been wrong before.

I don't want this place to look like audiogalaxy and anyone who does just should go back there.

Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
Why we tolerate diverse views - maybe not extreme views, but diverse.
As a culture we act, or come to act as a guest in UT's web site.

Why did the rowdy AGers upset the oldtimers - If someone crashes your dinner party and starts walking on the tables and insulting guest, you'd be upset too. I think someone actually made a comment along this line at the time.

snip~
I suspect someone could make a doctoral dissertation out of analysing this and how the environment was created.

How to upset a rowdy ag-er 101. As for some sort of decorum.

Last edited by skysidhe; 07-21-2006 at 12:23 PM.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:06 PM   #63
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

For me, it's not so much the values here as how they are expressed.

I have to spend my time sparingly, due to monitoring another website as my primary responsibility. I am forced to deal with all the bigotry, superiority, nationalism, ignorance, immaturity, and outright stupidity that can possibly end up on a forum, in toxic levels on occasion. This has taught me to be more tolerant too, but there comes a time when the mind needs to seek clean air. I find that here. I admire skillful use of words more than almost anything else, a well-turned phrase or witty observation makes my heart sing and refreshes my brain. Yet, I adore zippyt and busterb; their character is familiar to me and they have their own kind of wisdom which I appreciate. If I didn't think many of the people here were my superiors, in both education and ability, I would not learn anything and would be bored. Even the people whose views I do not share are an important part of the composition here, because if you do not know why you disagree with somebody and whether their arguments are better crafted than one's own, how can anybody be sure of what they believe or why?

It seems to me that The Cellar is not exclusive or intolerant in one very important way: If you can defend your position in a coherent manner and take as good as you give and make your stand without thinking you have a right to slaughter anybody who does not agree with you, then you "share the values" of the Cellar. And the motto here can just as easily be "Lurk And Learn".
Old 07-29-2006, 07:18 PM   #64
Ibby
erika

I know that personally, I'm usually pretty tolerant, but I refuse to tolerate baseless intolerance, idiocy, trolling, annoyingness, etc etc etc.

Note that its not that I can't tolerate it... It's that I refuse.