Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-23-2005, 12:06 PM   #61
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Are you suggesting that there is a functional way to allow equal inclusion and protection for *all* religions within the Governmental milieu?
Then there is the basic incompatability of inclusion of *any* religion with the rights of our token athiest. Do athiests have rights, Wolf? Do we have the *same* rights as Christians?
- Pie
Old 12-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #62
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

re·li·gion n.

1- a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe. b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.

2- The life or condition of a person in a religious order.

3- A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.

4- A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.
If you have enough zeal, Pie, or conscientious devotion.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:43 PM   #63
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
re·li·gion n.
1- b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
The problem I've got, Bruce, is that 1B is the only way it is observed in this country by that vast hulking Chrisitian majority. The promotion of organized religion is the antithesis of everything I "believe"!

Still incompatible.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:33 PM   #64
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

From the Associated Press on 22 Dec 2005:
Quote:
Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) withdrew on Thursday his affiliation from the Christian-rights law center that defended a school district's policy requiring the teaching of "intelligent design."

Santorum, the Senate's third-ranking Republican, is facing a tough reelection challenge next year. Earlier, he praised the Dover Area School District for "attempting to teach the controversy of evolution."

But the day after a federal judge ruled that the district's policy on intelligent design is unconstitutional, Santorum told the Philadelphia Inquirer that he was troubled by testimony indicating that religion motivated some school board members to adopt the policy.

Santorum was on the advisory board of the Michigan-based Thomas More Law Center, which defended the district's policy. ...

In 2002, Santorum said in a Washington Times op-ed article that intelligent design "is a legitimate scientific theory that should be taught in science classes."
Funny. Santorum did not have a problem back when the Dover School Board was openly promoting religion in the schools. Suddenly he has a problem with his Thomas More Law Center that was (according to the judge)
Quote:
Rather, this case came to us as the result of the activism of an ill-informed faction on a school board, aided by a national public interest law firm eager to find a constitutional test case on ID ...
Will PA reelect Sen Santorum? Probably. PA reelects 98% of its incumbents. Future victims of religious extremism have remained in denial until it is too late. Even the good people of Dover PA never saw this coming - in part because few really appreciate how serious Christian extremists are to American principles and government. As court testimony demonstrates, some on the school board voted for ID because they did not even know what it was. In PA, such ignorance is still found in the public. (However some 'always' Republican friends have recently admitted that George Jr may have been a mistake. That is a major concession for one.) Santorum, like George Jr, publically approved of what religious extremists in Dover were doing. Each specifically said so using the word ‘Dover’. Suddenly Santorum pretends not to be a Christian extremist? Suddenly he no longer approves of what he previously encouraged? Maybe he lurks in the Cellar and is now worried?

Hi Rick! You don't have a problem. Most PA residents don't care. Only Christian extremists vote with religious furvor - and vote who they are told to vote for.

Last edited by tw; 12-23-2005 at 08:01 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:53 AM   #65
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie
Then there is the basic incompatability of inclusion of *any* religion with the rights of our token athiest. Do athiests have rights, Wolf? Do we have the *same* rights as Christians?
- Pie
You have as much right to your beliefs/disbeliefs as a Christian does to theirs. The fact that they believe in a particular Godform does not intrude upon your ability not to believe. Displays of religious iconography do not harm you, or anyone else. You are not forced to participate in their practices, nor am I.

If someone would read a Bible in your presence, that is their choice, and their right. If they ask that you read the Bible, you have the right to decline. If they would attempt to press the issue and inist that you read the Bible, accept Christ as your personal savior, or sacrifice a lamb to appease the Gods, and don't respond to your requests to desist, THEN they are harrassing you and you can pursue legal action against them.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 01:24 AM   #66
Nunya
Lead Subordinate

Well, I've decided not to celebrate the whatchamacallit season at all. Solves the problem for me, and I have had a completely stress-free, non-commercial whatever-everyone-else-who-wants -to-argue-about-semantics-wants-to-call-it season. I AM going to a friend's house for that one dinner that people get together for on the 25th of December, but that is just because I want to hang out with her. I expressly asked that no one buy me a gift this year and I have bought no gifts. It is more important to spend time with people you care about.

I am a whatever-this-season-is-called drop-out. I resent that corporate America is now trying to start the (insert your favorite term here) season at the beginning of November. It is getting absolutely ridiculous. I quit--I'm not even a Christian--so, I quit.

I'm gonna sit back and let everyone else get stressed out and buy a bunch of useless junk for the holiday/Christmas/Xmas..blah, blah, blah, ad nauseum season. And argue with each other over what we are going to call a season that no longer stands for the secular or religious sentiments that it once did. Maybe we should just call it the "buying season." Because that is what it is really about.

A joyous buying and arguing season to all, and to all a good night!

My two cent...
Nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 01:28 AM   #67
wolf
lobber of scimitars

My increasingly senile mother has already decided that I have ruined Christmas. I am not entirely sure why she has decided this. Neither is she, and hopefully by tomorrow she will have picked something else to obsess about.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 04:35 AM   #68
marichiko

hmmmmm...

Why not, "Peace on earth"?

Merry Holidays, everyone!

(even you, LJ!)

Last edited by marichiko; 12-24-2005 at 04:45 AM.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:38 AM   #69
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

religion: a popular cult

cult: an unpopular religion
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 09:38 AM   #70
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Why not, "Peace on earth"?
Because it's not "The American Way"tm
Because it's our duty to save the heathens from the evils of their oil, gold, diamonds, etc.
Because it's not profitable.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:46 AM   #71
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie
The problem I've got, Bruce, is that 1B is the only way it is observed in this country by that vast hulking Chrisitian majority. The promotion of organized religion is the antithesis of everything I "believe"!

Still incompatible.
I understand what you're saying.
My point was under "4- A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.", if you have the zeal, the government must recognize your position as a valid religion and include it as acceptable.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:10 AM   #72
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL THE HEATHENS OF THE WORLD
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:14 AM   #73
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Happy Holidays! - Christmas, Yule, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, or (insert winter solstice holiday here) to all of my Cellar friends, not-friends, and lurkers.
Attached Images

I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 02:11 PM   #74
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I prefer Thanksgiving anyway because it is basically the same thing minus the traffic and the maxed out Mastercard.

To all of you:
However you celebrate the occasion, may it be filled with happiness.
If you don't celebrate it, hell , have a great weekend!
Old 12-24-2005, 05:18 PM   #75
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
I prefer Thanksgiving anyway because it is basically the same thing minus the traffic
Uh, wha? Are you sure you're talking about the Thanksgiving I'm thinking of? The Thanksgiving that involved a 7 hour drive turning into a 13.5 hour drive?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote