The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

View Poll Results: Does God exist?
Yes 31 63.27%
No 21 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2004, 06:59 PM   #61
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Part of the Daili Lama's advice for the new millenium was "Know the rules thoroughly, so that you may break them properly".
Old 06-05-2004, 07:43 PM   #62
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Many buddhists must then live in a bizarre fantasyland, where salmon are not killed to have the eggs scraped out of their innards.

I drink from the pool of wisdom that is buddhism.

I often begin meditations by reflecting on the words of the Daily Lama ... (my own joke-name for a day book of quotes by the Dalai Lama)

I however, eat from the table of Odin. Another haunch of oxen, please? And can I have fries with that?
That was a joke, Wolf. Hello?

And you're welcome to eat whatever you please.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:39 PM   #63
Tomas Rueda
Master of the Domain

Can't y'all see it. I know that I Ridiculized a bit the Faith essensialism in Christianity; But, can't you see I;m talking to the people of materialistic minds and hearts.

<sigh> BTW, I started to ponder, And as far as I'm concerned, Buddhism cannot ever reach universal proportions, since what's happiness to one man is always going to be remorsement, distress, or even obnoxious to the person right beside you. (Imagine Bush if all the troops became pacifists... Better, not.)

still, there is a book that I've heard is truly life changing. The Purpose Driven Life By Rick Warren. If you are a person who wants to live that has a purpose, this is it.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:55 PM   #64
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

You mean, Pastor Rick Warren of Saddleback Church?

"My prayer is that this website will help you as you pursue God's purpose for your life. You were created by God for a very specific reason, and only you are qualified to fulfill the mission God has placed within your very DNA.

The Bible teaches that God created you with five purposes in mind:

Worship - you were planned for God's pleasure.
Fellowship - you were formed to be part of God's family.
Discipleship - you were created to become like Christ.
Ministry - you were shaped for God's service.
Mission - you were made to tell others about Christ.

The Bible says, "David served God's purpose in his own generation." I can't think of a better epitaph. That's what I want for my life - that when I die people will say, "He served God's purpose in his generation."

And that's what I want people to say about you, that you served God's purpose in your generation. I hope this website encourages you on your journey."

All that for the rock-bottom price of $10.99 US?
Faith is getting cheaper!
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 09:07 PM   #65
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Rueda
Can't y'all see it. I know that I Ridiculized a bit the Faith essensialism in Christianity; But, can't you see I;m talking to the people of materialistic minds and hearts.

<sigh> BTW, I started to ponder, And as far as I'm concerned, Buddhism cannot ever reach universal proportions, since what's happiness to one man is always going to be remorsement, distress, or even obnoxious to the person right beside you. (Imagine Bush if all the troops became pacifists... Better, not.)

still, there is a book that I've heard is truly life changing. The Purpose Driven Life By Rick Warren. If you are a person who wants to live that has a purpose, this is it.
Tomas, you don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about here. One thing you need to understand. You cannot argue a topic on the basis of your own preconcieved notions. If you don't understand something, its better to ask about it or else remain silent.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:21 PM   #66
Tomas Rueda
Master of the Domain

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbonated_Brains
You mean, Pastor Rick Warren of Saddleback Church?

right>!!!

Quote:
Tomas, you don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about here. One thing you need to understand. You cannot argue a topic on the basis of your own preconcieved notions. If you don't understand something, its better to ask about it or else remain silent.
Well, You know that I rather ask than remain silent (I have remained silent for the last 6 yrs and it didn't work)

???What am I talking about???

seriously, let me open the gasket up a bit. What do you think Matthew 25: 34 means?
Old 06-05-2004, 10:08 PM   #67
marichiko

Quote:

Well, You know that I rather ask than remain silent (I have remained silent for the last 6 yrs and it didn't work)

seriously, let me open the gasket up a bit. What do you think Matthew 25: 34 means?
Only God knows.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:36 PM   #68
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:

that's it. I've had it. I can appreciate that you want to discuss this. I can even appreciate that you want to sound as if you know what the hell you're on about. But c'mon. Seriously.
Quote:
If you can't even put together a coherent sentence, how can you expect any of us to argue religion with you? I know English is your second language and everything, but I don't think that's the problem here. You're whole argument thus far has been "Just Because!" or " Because it says so in the bible. Look, this guy says it, and it was a really long time ago, so it HAS to be right."

Come up with something better.

I begin to think you are excersizing a habit of starting a thread and taking a ridiculous stance ( ala food is better than sex as told by a virgin) just to get people arguing with you. Are you just bored? You shouldn't start a conversation about something you either have little knowledge of, or are unable to articulate, and then speak in tones that come from a position of one who knows the answer before he hears the question. You just sound closedminded and simple. Fess up. you're basically argument trolling, aren't you?.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 10:41 PM   #69
Carbonated_Brains

Matthew 25:34

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. "

Death to lefties!
Old 06-05-2004, 10:47 PM   #70
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

im surprised that there WAS a Matthew 25:34. I was relatively sure he just pulled that out of the sky as a diversion. What the hell does it have to do with what we're talking about? Wait. What the fuck ARE we talking about anyway?! I've been busy punching myself in the eye over how to ridiculize something.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 10:47 PM   #71
Carbonated_Brains

It would be better to remember Timothy 2 : 23

"Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. "
Old 06-05-2004, 11:09 PM   #72
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbonated_Brains
It would be better to remember Timothy 2 : 23

"Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. "
hmmm.. I like that one. Its pointless to argue with someone who takes refuge behind the Bible as the final, ultimate truth; written by God. If that is their belief, I have no problem with it. However, that is NOT my belief, and I have a real problem with people who try to shove it down my throat. If I'm willing to let them alone, I don't see why they can't return the favor and leave ME alone.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:12 AM   #73
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Let us not forget USMC 19:71 -

"Yea, tho I walk thru the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no Evil, for I AM the meanest muthafucka in the Valley"

Or the ever popular Ezekiel 25:17 -

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the Valley of Darkness; for he is truly his brother's keeper, and the finder of lost children. And, I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers! And, you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee!"

Or, as my closing argument, a reading from the Holy Book Of Antioch -

"And the Lord spoke, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shalt be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out! Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thou foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

I certainly hope that this has cleared up many of the questions that you have.

Go in Peace, and bring back a pizza.

Pepperoni, black olives, and extra cheese.

And a 2 litre of Pepsi.

And if you're not back in 30 minutes, it's free.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 08:42 AM   #74
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Old 06-06-2004, 10:35 AM   #75
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Jim, you have to understand, that to be a true Christian, a person has to have absolute faith. If they say “that’s what I believe, but I could be wrong and you could be right”, then they don’t have absolute faith, hence are not true Christians. While I do maintain that Christians that feel they must save everyone else’s soul, are the most obnoxious people on earth, I understand why they can’t accept that you *might* be right in your beliefs.
I agree with that. A true Christian *does* have absolute faith in God and Jesus Christ and the Bible as infallable word of God.

Also, true Christians *are* concerned for the salvation of their fellow man. They have to be. It was said so many times in the bible to "go and bring them unto me..." and it's a function of the true christian's love for his fellow man... If you love all men (and women), then you don't want to see them miss out on eternal life. Therefore, if you love them, you'll try to lead them to God.

Now, you can be obnoxious about it, like Kirk Cameron and his "Way of the Master", which tries to scare people into becoming Christians, but IMO, that is the wrong reason to become a Christian. (It's a reason, but it shouldn't be the only reason.) IMO, you should become a Christian because you want to have a personal, loving reasonship with the marvelous God that created you, and has a purpose for you. Yes, you have to follow some rules...but if you follow the first one Jesus told us was most important, "Thou shalt Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind and with all thy strength. That is the first and great commandment," (Mark 12:30) then you will naturally follow the rest.

You can't be a homosexual (just as an easy example) and love God. The arguement that God loves the sinner but not the sin is true. IMO, though, the homosexual (that engages in sexual activity) that says he's a Christian is a liar. If you're a Christian, and you are loving God with all of you and you know from the Bible that homosexuality is an abomination to the Lord, then you will not practice (or "give in" to) your sinful nature because you LOVE god, and you don't want to disappoint him. It's a choice you make. Yes, you're forgiven thru Jesus, but that doesn't mean you can purposely ignore the rules. (Catholics do this alot.) I know one or two people that are gay that have made a choice not to have sex because it's a sin against God. They still find men attractive, but they have made a choice NOT to give in to the wants of the flesh, in order to receive the gifts Jesus promised. THAT is a true Christian.

So yeah, I have a problem with most "evangelists" that try to scare folks to Christ. That is particularly the reason people get saved, then "fall off the Jesus truck". True Love is forever, fear is fleeting.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote