The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-17-2007, 08:15 AM   #61
RonBurgundy
Smelly Pirate Hooker

Bruce this isn't aimed at you. Just responding to whoever it is you quoted that from.

"You get to sit in one of the windiest places on earth to eat your chicken or ribs covered with blowing dirt."

It's the desert not the Hyatt...

"built in one of the ugliest place on the whole Grand Canyon; not a tree to be seen and the water is gray below!"

Perhaps you were expecting caribbean blue waters and palm trees?

"The tow truck would have come out there but it would have been 2.5 hours and $400.00!"

Yeah your in the middle of the fucking desert not around the corner from your local starbucks.

"I guess they are making a lot of money. They are flying people in from Vegas and Laughlin to go see this thing! I guess the Indians are smart; but not so honest about all the details of the activity."

Wha! Misrepresentation of a vacation site!? say it 'aint so! And by native americans no less? The shame. And god forbid they make some revenue off of this land!

"We got up at 6am and got the hell out of Arizona!"

Don't let the door hit you in the ass!
Old 06-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #62
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No offense taken, Ron.
I posted this because it's the only first-person experience I've run across. I didn't include a link because it's on a NSFW site and would add nothing more than I've posted... it's just some guy's opinion.

I see that the writer developed a negative attitude early on and really had no grasp of the territory he was venturing into. That said, probably many people going there would be in the same boat.

I was wondering if the writer was clueless or tripling the price, at a point where it takes considerable effort to get to, is really a common surprise.
I think I'd be pissed at that point, because were not talking $5 or $10, an extra $50 per person, for a family, is a shocker.
I'd assume the people flying in from Vegas would have the total cost presented up front, but those people would be better able to afford it than some guy trying to stretch the vacation buck with his family and a pop-up camper.

Personally, I hope it's a successful venture for the tribe, but feedback like this even taking into account the whiny source, is off putting. Especially for an experience it takes so much effort to get to, as opposed to a roadside attraction.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:23 PM   #63
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I hope it is just a whiny post from someone who didn't pay attention to what he was getting into. I hope it's just teething problems. I will go to the US one day and I've really love the idea of this since I first read it. And it's a challenge to my fear of heights!

Anyway - if the prices are misrepresented in the way described then I expect someone will sue soon - even over here Trading Standards would be onto it with a week, and I know Americans are more litigious. I hope the price goes down in the time it takes me to save to make the trip...

It was unfair of the OP to include the experience of the trip with the blowout as part of his criticism. If the vehicle was suitable for the terrain then the blowout was simple bad luck that could have happened anywhere. You can't blame people who build an attraction in the wilderness if the wilderness bites back (or for the fact that two generations in the same family can't handle a burst tyre).
Old 06-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #64
Cloud

"touchdown Jesus" LOL!
Old 06-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #65
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What?
Old 06-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #66
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

She's going back to the Jesus statue in Bri's vicinity.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:58 PM   #67
Cloud

if you're talking about municipal eyesores, we got one. It's attractive enough, I suppose, but it's caused all kinds of bitter controversy. I haven't seen the statute yet, tho' I saw the head. It's a BIG sucker!

World's Largest Equestrian Bronze

a better pic
Old 06-17-2007, 08:18 PM   #68
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

I am sure those are not pteranodons in the picture.

I'm an acrophobe. It'd be hard to get me out on that thing, I think.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:27 PM   #69
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
I hope it is just a whiny post from someone who didn't pay attention to what he was getting into. I hope it's just teething problems. I will go to the US one day and I've really love the idea of this since I first read it. And it's a challenge to my fear of heights!

Anyway - if the prices are misrepresented in the way described then I expect someone will sue soon - even over here Trading Standards would be onto it with a week, and I know Americans are more litigious. I hope the price goes down in the time it takes me to save to make the trip...

It was unfair of the OP to include the experience of the trip with the blowout as part of his criticism. If the vehicle was suitable for the terrain then the blowout was simple bad luck that could have happened anywhere. You can't blame people who build an attraction in the wilderness if the wilderness bites back (or for the fact that two generations in the same family can't handle a burst tyre).
Poor roads and lack of local service are reasonable criticisms of a trip/placement.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:32 PM   #70
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Poor roads and lack of local service are reasonable criticisms of a trip/placement.
But the poster said the vehicle was suitable for the terrain.
Let me put it this way to you - a Brit is crossing Death Valley and comes across another party of Brits who have a blowout. They complain about how long it takes for rescue to reach them given how long it takes in the UK. You'd laugh out loud at how naif they were.

Also there are two generations in the car - would you not think, "Hang on, how come a couple who are at least in their 40s have set off across desert terrain have no idea if they have a spare tyre?"

C'mon - you're usually consistent regarding people being personally responsible - don't let your dislike of the attraction change your opinion.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:04 PM   #71
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Not really, its the same as driving through the mountains to get to a white water rafting joint. You are responsible to make sure you are prepared to drive out into the middle of nothing for the attraction, and make it back to civilization afterwards. It is in no way the responsibility of the attraction owners unless they make it appear so or state such.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:07 PM   #72
rkzenrage

You are correct, I was wrong.
Unless they do not state that you need special vehicles for the roads.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:19 PM   #73
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I'm not sure if the story xoBruce found was from the same website, but I found a photographer's blog detailing a visit to the Skywalk. The post was followed by a plethora of comments, many from folks who had visited themselves. From what I read, some of them were prepared and liked it, others were not and hated it. I'd post the link, but if blatant racist remarks (as some of the comments were) are considered NSFW, then I probably shouldn't.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:47 PM   #74
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
They had the right kind of car and good tires; but the road is terrible, they blew out the side wall of the tire. They must have hit the side of the road and a big rock. They did not know where the spare tire was and were completely helpless.
Not knowing where the author is from, makes me wonder what constitutes a terrible road to him? Anyone remotely familiar with the west, would know the reservation roads, like most private roads, are generally rough.

This is a case of being unprepared. There might be some reason she couldn't physically change a tire, but not knowing where it is, makes me think she wouldn't know how. Certainly not prepared to trek the hinterlands or anywhere else that requires self-reliance.

If she had a blowout on the interstate she'd be in the same boat. Help shouldn't take as long ... but might be as expensive.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #75
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, not the same site. What's the link?