The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 06-06-2004, 12:15 AM   #61
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by blue
That's pretty cold Syc. Do you mean it?
Absolutely. I want women's reproductive rights protected. In addition, I want to prevent child abuse. Allowing abortions helps with both.

For the record, I think abortion is a horrible thing, and should only be utilized when necessary.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:55 AM   #62
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Well, don't just limit it to fertilized eggs. With scientific advances, every single cell can be a potential human life.
Damn straight! I for one think sunburns should be made illegal. Think of all those potential little UT's who get sloughed off every time your skin peels arfter a day at the beach! Disgraceful, really!
Old 06-06-2004, 12:58 AM   #63
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

Maybe we should only allow abortions for those women who can pass a grueling series of amusing television challenges.

Wheel of Abortion, so to speak.
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:01 AM   #64
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

My girlfriend just informed me that this solution is a horrible idea.

All the stupid people would be denied abortions, and thus procreate a legion of stupid babies.
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:08 AM   #65
blue
Operations Operative

I just typed a multi paragraph reply to this, and the cellar lost it...I can't win so I'll quit.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:18 AM   #66
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbonated_Brains

All the stupid people would be denied abortions, and thus procreate a legion of stupid babies.
They are already outbreeding the bright, employed, and capable. We're doomed.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:21 AM   #67
marichiko

Quote:

So, what's new? The smart ones realize that they can't take care of a child, the stupid ones rejoice and head for the nearest welfare office.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:46 PM   #68
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

It's drawback of the improved medical technology.

All of the biological weakness are being bred back in instead of dying due to weakness.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:34 PM   #69
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by richlevy

Unless your pharmcist has a moral objection to the morning after pill, in which case s/he can refuse to sell it to you.

To me any late term abortion is extreme and I don't like the idea of them. However, looking at the other extreme of the people who would deny all birth control, deny all real sex education, etc., I still feel more comfortable on the pro-choice side.

If real birth control and the morning after pill were encouraged, there would not be a need for any late term abortions. You have to consider that some women who wait do so because they have to get up the nerve to find one of an ever decreasing number of abortion providers and run the gauntlet of screaming pro-lifers, any of whom might have a gun and who might, in some twisted way, consider using it on the mother to 'save' the fetus.

Also consider that states vary on safe havens , allowing a single mother to legally abandon her baby.

I'm all for personal responsibility, but expecting a single teenager who has been abandoned by her baby's father to somehow make it work seems ridiculous. I'm sure that a significant minority, with some help, can make it work.

Until someone can come up with a rational, consistent system for all of this, then abortion is something we will have to deal with. If the pro-lifers could get off their asses, embrace contraception and sex education as a way to prevent abortion, and come up with reasonable alternatives instead of trying to box people into situations they cannot handle, them we will continue to have this debate.
What he said!

I don't agree with women who would wait until the last possible minute to get an abortion. I mean, at *some* point before then, didn't you know that you were pregnant? Didn't anything tip you off..anything?

Yes, I'm sure that there are some who MAY not have known, but I don't think that goes for the majority of women who have ever been pregnant.

Birth control rules! :p

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 04:51 PM   #70
ladysycamore

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Sidhe
Perhaps if they made it so that one couldn't get an abortion unless they agreed to have NORPLANT....that way, if they don't want kids, we'll make sure they don't HAVE them. (And before people start jumping me about enforced birth control, we're talking about people who don't want these children---people who are willing to kill them because they're inconvenient).
Sidhe
Argh, I've not heard too many positive things about Norplant. Is that even available anymore? If they offered the choice of the tubal,
I would be all for it.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
Old 06-07-2004, 05:00 PM   #71
ladysycamore

Quote:
Originally posted by marichiko

Why, Onyx? Accidents do happen. No method of birth control works 100%. I've even heard of women who had their tubes tied still getting pregnant. If the woman is morally opposed to abortion, why should the guy be able to skate? For that matter, if a man does not want to be responsible for a possible pregnancy, then shouldn't HE take steps himself to ensure one doesn't happen? Men can use rubbers or get vasectomies, you know.
Future Birth Control Methods for Men

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/ART...cfuture_m.html

The challenge to develop reversible methods of contraception for men is a complicated one. Healthy men are always producing sperm. The continuous fertility of men does not offer the opportunities for reversible intervention that are offered by women's cycles of fertility. Developing effective contraceptive methods for men without permanently impairing their fertility has proved to be very elusive, but progress is being made.

Potential Oral Contraceptive Methods for Men

Oral contraception for men reduces sperm counts to levels that are unlikely to cause pregnancy. In Italy, a contraceptive pill containing synthetic hormones is being used by men in a clinical study. The men also receive testosterone injections to boost the effectiveness of the pill.

Potential Contraceptive Injections,
Implants, and Vaccines for Men

World Health Organization studies have shown greatly reduced sperm counts in men injected once a week with testosterone enanthate (TE), a synthetic hormone. Research continues with a combination of TE and depot-medroxyprogesterone acetate (DMPA), the progestin used in Depo-Provera. The combination injection may be needed only once a month.

A potential three-month injection using testosterone buciclate is in preliminary development.

Subdermal Implants—Two rods are inserted under the skin. One of the rods contains a synthetic version of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH). The other contains an androgen. The androgen, 7-alpha methyl-19-nortestosterone (MENT), is 10 times stronger than natural testosterone.

Battery-powered capsules—Capsules implanted into each vas deferens emit low-level electrical currents that immobilizes sperm as they flow by.

Potential Methods for Vasectomy
Chemical Compounds—Phenol mixed with alcohol is injected into each vas deferens.

Silicone Plugs—Tiny silicone cylinders are inserted into each vas deferens. The cylinders physically block the tubes.

Reversible Vasectomy—Chemicals inserted into the vas derens block the movement of sperm.

Unisex Contraception

One of the methods of reversible contraception being developed may be appropriate for both women and men. A new group of drugs known as gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonists can be used to prevent the release of FSH and LH from the pituitary gland. The release of FSH and LH triggers ovulation and spermatogenesis—the development of sperm. Blocking the release of these hormones will temporarily suppress fertility for women and men.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like a plan to me, eh ladies???

Old 06-07-2004, 05:36 PM   #72
ladysycamore

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Aw shit, I just scratched my arm and killed 400.

LMAO..good point. Thanks for the giggle.

CB said:
"Maybe we should only allow abortions for those women who can pass a grueling series of amusing television challenges.

Wheel of Abortion, so to speak."

Baaaaaaaaahahah, omg! :p

Old 06-07-2004, 09:23 PM   #73
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Quote:
Originally posted by ladysycamore

Potential Oral Contraceptive Methods for Men

Sounds like a plan to me, eh ladies???

All ya gotta do is put it in beer/insert favorite drink or food here, and they'd never miss a dose...

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:55 PM   #74
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
legion of stupid babies.
cool band name spotted.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:18 PM   #75
Carbonated_Brains