The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-12-2007, 07:07 AM   #61
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Everything is the fault of everyone, but over time you will learn that the worst faults in people aren't the various and sundry tricky addictions. The worst faults in people are their behaviors towards their fellow human beings.
Wise words. I really don't see any reason for anyone to be making unpleasant comments about anyone else's race, sexual orientation, or physical appearance. The only possible reason to do so is to cause hurt and offence. Personally I found the 'chinko' type comments quite unpleasant. But I also thought it was cruel to make fun of the kid for her looks. The fact that she's sixteen years old shouldn't stop anyone from calling her out on her assinine comments.....but to focus on her looks is just downright cruel. That shit is bad enough when it's kids in a playground....they don't really know what they're doing and kids are cruel. But here? Adults taking the piss out of a child because of the way she looks? Not pretty to see.

Fresh, what you said about racial slurs was spot on.....but you need to develop a little human empathy. We all have weaknesses and flaws, strengths and talents. Some people smoke, others eat, some take their comfort from twiddling with a strand of hair, or watching Star trek...some find their way through by throwing themselves into sports. Unless you have been where that person is and experienced what that person has experienced, you are not in a position to judge them weak for the choices they make. You have no sympathy for people who are struggling with their weight? Everybody struggles with something. You'll find that out over time.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:11 AM   #62
freshnesschronic
Professor

Nice post DanaC.

But I was just saying. Being of a certain race isn't a "struggle" because there is nothing you can do about it. In my opinion, weight you can do something about.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:24 AM   #63
DanaC

People can do something about lots of things.....but how many people do you know who make all the right choices at all the right times and never fail? Being human isn't easy. We all carry with us the weight of our experiences and our genetic heritage. Some people can eat huge amounts of food without gaining much weight. Some people look at a cream bun and their hips get bigger :P Some people put on a little extra weight and can lose it again in a couple of weeks, other people struggle with diets and take months to throw off half that amount. Add to that the whole issue of how children relate to food and the way that affects their long term tastes and tendencies and things get complicated.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:32 AM   #64
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Nice post DanaC.

But I was just saying. Being of a certain race isn't a "struggle" because there is nothing you can do about it. In my opinion, weight you can do something about.
Godhelpme for putting my nose in here, but I think I need to set you straight - or at least try.

Your opinion is your own, and while extremely prejudiced and judgemental you are entitled to have it - however, that being said, it's not exactly accurate.

I find this statement " But everything I've learned for the most part is the fault of the obese person." to be extremely offensive. Especially since I know first hand what it's like to be a person of size. I will be the first to state the obvious - my photos have been posted here and there on the cellar - I am _not_ a little woman. However, that being said, I can point to two genetic conditions that directly contribute to my issues, neither of which are easy to just ignore and 'do something about'. Do I work to keep myself healthy? Yes. Do I spend time planning healthy meals, working through menus and exercising? Yes. Does it 'look like it' to the casual observer? No. But they don't have a clue about what I do behind closed doors - and frankly, it's none of their business.

Before you lump all people into a group - as you are often wont to do (this is not the first time you've said something along the lines of "all <insert group of people here> think/do/act this way) you really need to turn the TV off, stop listening to what mass media, movies, and the like is stuffing down your throat, open some journals and get an idea of what's really going on. And open your mind for heaven's sake - really, it won't fall out if you do.

People are just that. People. And who are you to judge what they do with their lives if they don't directly have any affect on yours? UT and DanaC nailed it - you need to develop a little bit of empathy - everyone is walking a different path than yours - not everyone's life is sunshine and roses - and it certainly doesn't help if they're getting beaten down for no reason.

"Being of a certain race isn't a struggle"? Oh dear....I'm not even going to touch this one.

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #65
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Being of a certain race isn't a "struggle" because there is nothing you can do about it...
That's not true -- look at Michael Jackson.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #66
DanaC

lol
Old 06-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #67
Ibby
erika

Asshole, beat me to it!