The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-09-2004, 01:34 PM   #61
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by hot_pastrami

Hey, this shit is from scratch, baby. It takes 2 and a half hours, but it's worth it. Rice, andouille, chicken, shrimp, lotsa spices and a few veggies for show.
Which still didn't answer my question. How did you come across these masticatory marvels?

[Foghorn]Ah said where'd ya get the recipe boy? Speak up! People are waitin'.[/Foghorn]
Old 03-09-2004, 01:48 PM   #62
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally posted by Troubleshooter
Which still didn't answer my question. How did you come across these masticatory marvels?
Now, I'll get around to that... don't antagonize me, boa.

I got this beauty from the XSO of a true Louisiana native who served this very Jambalaya in his restaurant, which he shut down when he moved back home. I'd eaten it countless times, and always loved it... so once deprived of the restaurant I pinged the old boy's network and got the recipe, through a mutual acquaintance, from his ex-wife.

I then had to get our my secret decoder ring to translate the recipe to plainspeak, and fill in a few gaps (the recipe was written for someone who'd made it before, and just needed occasional reminding). But now it's complete, tested, and adjusted to non-restaurant quantities. Hot damn!
Old 03-09-2004, 02:53 PM   #63
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by hot_pastrami

I then had to get our my secret decoder ring to translate the recipe to plainspeak, and fill in a few gaps (the recipe was written for someone who'd made it before, and just needed occasional reminding). But now it's complete, tested, and adjusted to non-restaurant quantities. Hot damn!
Some important things were left out. Make sure the cooking containers are well seasoned cast-iron and the utensils are well used wood.

And what's this human sized serving nonsense? The appropriate description would be:

"6 sissy/yankee sized servings or 4 proper southern sized servings."