The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 11-07-2007, 02:46 PM   #61
Drax
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
different ways of treating threads and topics
Like any thread started by a Dweller is no longer owned by that Dweller. Sorry folks, but I still consider any thread I've started here to be my own.
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #62
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

a thread is only yours if you can take it away and go home.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:12 PM   #63
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drax View Post
Like any thread started by a Dweller is no longer owned by that Dweller. Sorry folks, but I still consider any thread I've started here to be my own.
yes, that is one example. Also much more tolerance here for abuse to posters, use of others' images; no avatar,not as much sex or flirting as some other places, a strange . . . er, unique attitude toward serious/non-serious posts, etc., etc., etc.

Not bad, per se, just different, like I said. I think because the Cellar has been around for such a long time, it has evolved its own unique customs.

in 20 years, are we all still going to be sitting around our computers talking to each other?
Old 11-07-2007, 03:24 PM   #64
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
Not bad, per se, just different
I think the word you are looking for is "superior." The Cellar is superior. That's why you are here. If the Cellar was simply "bad" or "different," you wouldn't be here.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #65
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud
in 20 years, are we all still going to be sitting around our computers talking to each other?
if we are, bruce will have 117,100 posts
Old 11-07-2007, 03:41 PM   #66
Drax
Banned

Well, as you probably remember, I was against the "no avatar" policy at first, but I quickly got used to, and eventually grew to like it this way. No thinking about which avatar to use.
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:12 PM   #67
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drax
If you are chatting with friends, and the subject wanders, do you chastize them for ruining your conversation?

That's the key to all the differences here, for those of you who still haven't realized it. Anonymity on the internet makes people into assholes. This place does everything it can to make you not anonymous. I'll readily admit, I don't much care or remember what a dwellar says until I have enough background information to connect it to a real person in my head. Doesn't have to be overly personal information, just interests, or mannerisms, or anything that makes someone unique.

Threads here are not messageboard threads, they are conversations. This is why people get irritated when others go off on meaningless chats--because it cannot possibly involve anyone else. It would be rude if it were in person. It is also why some teasing and meanness is more tolerated than in other places--because when you are close to someone, friend or enemy, you can say things you wouldn't say to a stranger on the street. Regular messageboards are for strangers on the street. Avatars are for posters who don't know each other well enough so they need a picture to help identify them. This place is a community.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:38 PM   #68
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Anonymity on the internet makes people into assholes. This place does everything it can to make you not anonymous.

that's why it's so perfect for me...

I am free to be made into an asshole through my own words and actions.

I used to be funnier, really. this had real potential....and i can still taste it...i just don't think i really nailed it this time. sigh...
Old 11-07-2007, 04:56 PM   #69
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Well, as you probably remember, I was against the "no avatar" policy at first, but I quickly got used to, and eventually grew to like it this way. No thinking about which avatar to use.
Before I got into the Cellar the only message boards I used to frequent were game related (Battle Vortex or guild forums). I was kind of used to avatars but didn't tend to use 'em myself. I got out of gaming shortly before I started posting on here and stopped going on the game forums. About four months ago I started going on a couple of 'Politics' forums and a history forum. They all use avatars and I find them deeply distracting. They make the boards messy, and the screen confusing. I much prefer the simple aesthetics of the Cellar.

I also found their overuse of rules and moderation a little off putting. Threads that started out a one thing weren't allowed to just drift. If they drift the moderator jumps in and moves the threaddrift to a different section of the message board. There are hard and fast rules about what kinds of things you can post. So...if someone makes a point and somebody else posts an "I hear you" or "lol" that is considered unacceptable.

To me that spoils the flow of conversation. It's the difference between sitting around a table in a pub with mates and discussing everything under the sun...and sitting in a meeting with colleagues and discussing what is set on the agenda.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #70
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Ew.

Makes me wanna say Yay Undertoad!

Old 11-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #71
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Question: do html tags work in the sig line? Like, say, pic links?

I'm just sayin', for those who are interested in avatars, well...
Old 11-07-2007, 06:05 PM   #72
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I have a membership on a Jeep Commander forum. It's lousy with avatars and sigs with pictures....

I started a little shit when i expressed my opinion that they were annoying...they pointed out the ability to 'not see' them in the control panel....and all was well again.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:24 PM   #73
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

avatars and pictures just make pages load slower etc. I think it's better without them.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #74
Ibby
erika

No.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:44 PM   #75
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

yes