The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 05-10-2004, 05:40 PM   #61
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Radar
Sex is a physical NEED (at least for men)

Men genuinely need some physical release or they could become unstable. I don't mean this as a joke. It's a physical need every bit as much as eating, breathing, or going to the bathroom. The fact that we can go longer without sex doesn't make it any less of a need.
I tend to agree. look at what happens when you swear off of sex for the catholic church. you become a closet homopedophile.

what, you think it's a coincedence?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 05:41 PM   #62
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I see no need to separate the two.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:44 PM   #63
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

That did it.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 02:05 AM   #64
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
*bows*
Case closed.
Stop the motherfucking presses ... I'm agreeing with jaguar on something ...

Insightful work, young glasshoppel.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 04:02 AM   #65
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

I am moderately bemused but mostly annoyed that it's only the men here who are claiming the 'physical need' aspect. It's a physical need for women too! I go mad if I don't have sex for any length of time. Really, I start humping furniture and stuff. And the occasional cucumber. So, 'get laid', you say, 'it's easy, you're a woman'. OK so if I walked into a bar and offered my 'services' no doubt there would be many takers. But that I would want to give to? No! Women are more discriminative and don't want sex with just anyone. They would feel cheap, or used. The only way to combat this is to shack up with a dude who spends lots of money on you so you feel expensive, and then turn him down for sex so you don't feel used.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:06 AM   #66
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I think sex as a physical need may be valid but I dont think it sits alongside sustenance and air on the hierachy of needs. Lots and lots of people live without sex a lot of the time. Lots and lots of people live a celibate life ( for a variety of reasons) now I wouldnt like to lay any claims totheir state of mind, but I really seriously doubt that it would kill them. Got no food? ....Starve to death. Got no air? ....suffocate. Got no sexual partner? ......be severely frustrated or learn how to satisfy yourself:P

Nor do I think that just applies to women. I just think it distresses most men more than most women to have to go long periods without sexual release.

Last edited by DanaC; 05-11-2004 at 05:08 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 05:54 AM   #67
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

To 'live' without 'sex' is a paradox. You cannot have one without the other.

Catwoman stalks off in self-satisfied manner to go and fornicate
Old 05-11-2004, 07:29 AM   #68
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

*Chuckles* I have lived with and without. In fact it must be coming on for two years since I got laid :P Cant say as it particularly bothers me. I certainly have no intention of going looking for a new partner. Do I miss it? Sometimes. Sometimes not depending on my mood and where in the month I am :P
And I didnt, by the way, say that no sex is better than bland sex, I said no sex is better than bad sex.

Truth is, everybody's libido is different. Some people really need that release other people dont. I enjoyed it when had it. ( my ex and I used to play some pretty wild games let me tell ya) but I cant say it's something I "crave" these days. Maybe I will at some future time. Right now I am too busy revelling in the freedom of not being attached to want to make any new connections. I have never been attracted to casual sex.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 10:33 AM   #69
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

2 years!!! Wow. I mean, I don't want to make a point of it, but bloody hell! I don't think I've ever gone longer than a couple of months. But I guess I've been lucky, I've either been in a relationship, or, now I'm finally single, have always had an obliging 'friend' or acquaintance to remove the casual element. You've made me think though, is it the sex I can't do without or the connection? I have a suspicion it's the latter.

edited to say: What utter bollocks. Of course it's the sex.

Fucks off, slightly pensively, to jump into bed with housemate

Last edited by Catwoman; 05-11-2004 at 10:36 AM.
Catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 11:16 AM   #70
jaguar
whig

thought the ground was cold today wolf
Old 05-11-2004, 11:46 AM   #71
marichiko

Cat and Dana got me to thinking, and I guess I've never gone more than a month or two without sex, myself. The thing is, nobody could make the comment that they've gone a month or two without food. They wouldn't be around to make the statement! I still think its a bizarre comparison, though. However, the best sex I ever had was far more enjoyable than the very best meal I ever had, so on that level, I suppose I could say that sex is better than food.

I strongly disagree with Radar saying that a woman could just walk into a bar and crook her little finger and get all the sex she wants. In theory, true enough. I could also walk into a bar with a semi-automatic and kill most of the people in the place. It is possible to do that. But in each example, there would be many unpleasant consequences.

Our culture still holds women to a certain standard. A woman who is willing to just have casual sex with anyone she meets is considered a 'ho. A man who does that is considered a "manly man" who is one lucky SOB, and his buddies all slap him on the back for his prowness.

Most men have little respect for a woman they consider an "easy lay," and such a woman often looses respect for herself thanks to society's attitudes in this regard. Society forces women to wear cultural "chasity belts" while men are free to pursue their sexuality as they please.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:52 PM   #72
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
thought the ground was cold today wolf
I noticed that too, but attributed it to the Philadelphia Flyers playing brilliantly last night.

(interesting side note: I watched bits of the game during a county disaster drill. I was in the spooky underground confines of the Emergency Operations Center. VERY cool place to be, especially given the scenario of a WMD incident at a local mall (anyone who lives near King of Prussia, that's what was going on last night) ... There are apparently going to be additional stages to the drill in other parts of the Phila area today.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 05-11-2004, 12:57 PM   #73
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Most men have little respect for a woman they consider an "easy lay," and such a woman often looses respect for herself thanks to society's attitudes in this regard. Society forces women to wear cultural "chasity belts" while men are free to pursue their sexuality as they please.
Utterly and completely false.

Men have much more respect for women who don't confuse sex and love. If a guy can find a girl who likes to hang around, watch sports, and give an occasional BJ to him and his buddies with no emotional attachment, so much the better.

Women mistakenly think that men think less of women who have lots of sex without emotional attachment or commitment. We like them and respect them more than the other girls.

"Society" doesn't force anyone to do anything. Most of the attitudes mentioned above are created and perpetuated by women, not men.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:11 PM   #74
jaguar
whig

errrr. Right. marichiko is, as usual on the money. It's an ironic situation in many ways (if either sex is built for lots of casual sex, it sure ain't men) it certainly exists in most parts of the world if not all. Radar of course doesn't really inhabit this world.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:21 PM   #75
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I was wondering about that. He seems to have been raised in some strange world of the future that has very different behavioral rules from modern society, but without the aircars and silver jumpsuits that we've been promised since childhood as signs that the future is now.