The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 07-11-2006, 06:47 PM   #61
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

I think it all depends on the person. I got my first tattoo when I was 16, and I never regret it. I got my second (the last one so far) when I was 17, and again, I never regret it. I had wanted them for a while however so I already knew that I would be happy with them for the rest of my life. I want more tattoos but for the time being they are too expensive. I have more important things to spend my money on (like college tuition).

There is a minimum age for a reason. There are very few people under the age of 18 that will be able to decide on something they can live with for the rest of their days. I happened to be one of them, at least in that aspect of my life. My tattoos help me remember things I do not want to forget and remind me of what my life use to be like. I have an iguana on my stomach surrounding my belly button (which is also pierced by the way) and a dragon on my lower back. No one except those that know me well will understand the significance of my tattoos, nor should they. But that doesn't make them any less important to me. I am 22.

On the subject of the 12 year old who gives blow jobs in the bathroom, I think there must be much that isn't known about her. I find it very difficult to fathom that she has not been abused in some way in order for her to choose those actions for herself. As was said before, children are very secretive about what happens when they are abused. The girl would not just volunteer that kind of information out to anyone who wanted to know.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:56 PM   #62
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
I got my first tattoo when I was 16, and I never regret it. I got my second (the last one so far) when I was 17, and again, I never regret it... I am 22.
I hope they continue to be positive and important reminders for you... but it'll be a lot more significant if you still don't regret them when you're 40.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:49 AM   #63
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

16 or 17 ought to have steadfast parental approval as to what and where the tattoo is, beyond that (18 +) I think the parents should strongly advise but not have the last word. Meaning going with them, persuading the kid not to get a flying dragon with pink unicorns on his/her chest, making sure they use disposable needles and get a fresh one, the joint isn't in a seedy part of town, etc.
Learning to live with your decisions (big mistakes included) is an essential part of entering adulthood in my book.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:58 PM   #64
Buddug

The best tattoo I ever saw was a pair of Achilles heels in the Madrid metro .

Stop pondering , and try to see .
Old 07-12-2006, 02:04 PM   #65
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddug
The best tattoo I ever saw was a pair of Achilles heels in the Madrid metro .

Stop pondering , and try to see .
There was an arrow in them or what? How did you know they were Achilles heels?
Old 07-12-2006, 11:56 PM   #66
lookout123
changed his status to single

the more recent of my two tattoos is 9 years old now. no regrets ever. i will most likely add to them, but I only trust one person to put ink in my skin and i don't see him but once every 3/4 years.

if you are getting a tattoo because it is cool or all your friends have them... you're screwed. if you want one because you want one and you know what you want before you get to the shop, you'll probably be just fine. if not, you can always have it redone/altered.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:43 AM   #67
Brooke of the Land
obsequious purple and clairvoiant

I got my first tattoo on my 18th birthday. I've always been a straight-A student, gotten along with my parents, and have never been in any real kind of trouble. I gave the design/idea for it months of thought, I told my parents I was getting it done, did not try to hide it from anyone. I do not regret it at all.

Tattoos are just another form of expression, much like art or music. If you don't like rap, you don't listen to it. If you don't like tattoos, don't get one. It's as simple as that.

I do believe that there is a too young age. Aside from the fact that the child will have to live with it for the rest of his/her life, have you considered the pain factor? A 15 year old going through the pain of a tattoo? Umm, no please. Thanks.
Brooke of the Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:27 AM   #68
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

As an aside.....The difference between people that have tattoos and people that don't? The people that do, don't care that the people that don't, don't.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:22 AM   #69
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

I always screw that up when I try and say it Bruce.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:02 PM   #70
ljwagner
Person Who Has Posted

wait on the tattoo

Where I live, blood donations are not accepted from folks with tattoos.

Why not wait a few years, and help save a few lives donating blood first, then if the kid still can't stand being a good person, get all the tattoos the kid wants.

A disease free blood supply is more important than indelible body art, at least to me. Maybe if people with tattoos could not get transfusions, since they can't give them either. That would be a good trade off.
ljwagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:57 AM   #71
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljwagner
Where is that?
Quote:

Why not wait a few years, and help save a few lives donating blood first, then if the kid still can't stand being a good person, get all the tattoos the kid wants.
Whoa, there. Tattoos make someone a bad person?
Quote:
A disease free blood supply is more important than indelible body art, at least to me. Maybe if people with tattoos could not get transfusions, since they can't give them either. That would be a good trade off.
So you want to deny medical care to people with tattoos?

I'm not disputing the not being able to give blood where you live, because I don't know where that is. I would, however, suggest you move to somewhere, anywhere, the medical community has moved up to at least the 20th century and preferably the 21st, before you need their services.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:18 AM   #72
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljwagner

First of all, I can't donate blood because I have pernicious anemia. So what does it matter if I get a tattoo? And second of all, we only have a 12 month limit on the no donating policy. What is one year of not donating? Many people who can donate don't anyway, so why single out the people that want tattoos? Are you going to say that the people that can't donate shouldn't be allowed transfusions as well? Because I am in both catagories (have a tattoo and can't donate for medical reasons). I think you should re-evaluate what you are saying. It sure sounds pretty closed-minded to me, but that is just my opinion. You don't know the circumstances behind every person's tattoos and reasons why they don't or can't donate.

Oh, and most tattoos do not cause diseases. It is only when you don't check out the place first that you can have problems. If they dispose of everything they use (including leftover ink, not just the needles) then there should not be any problem.

And I agree with Bruce, how does having a tattoo make you a bad person? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:43 AM   #73
rkzenrage

He is three now, been hard to keep around... may be getting a tracking # tattooed on his instep and I'm looking into a GPS anklet.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:25 AM   #74
lookout123
changed his status to single

unless they've changed, the Red Cross requires 2 years from the date of your last tattoo before they'll accept your donation. then again, i believe they require one year from the date you pierced your ears. what kind of an evil selfish person would pierce their ears thereby denying dying children the blood they need to make it one more day?
Old 07-29-2006, 02:17 PM   #75
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

I can see why they have people wait, they just can't afford to give everyone who donates a blood test.

One of the guys in my dorm block last year spent the better part of 4 months picking out his tattoo design, though not for any sentimental reason. Since he's an engineer he knew he'd have to keep it small, black and white, and on a part of his body he could keep covered easily.